Hey guys haven't posted in a long time.  I bought a new to me 1086 last weekend.  The tach quit working tonight....  I'm not much of a mechanic and IL be honest I have not cracked open the tractor operators manual very far yet.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I might b up against here.  The speedometer works yet and the exhaust temp. if that helps rule anything out.  I will have many other questions to follow about other things but for the most part this is a pretty straight tractor.  Thanks for any help!

20210509_190657.jpg

I would be checking for a faulty engine speed transducer since that does both engine rpm and PTO speed functions

Make sure the sensor is adjusted correct , if I remember correct , turn it in all the way and back it 1 turn out . There is an ohm test , I can look that up if you need it .

Danny

Also take it out completely check the transducer pick-up end for damage or a coating of grease or oil on the end and the wiring you can also test it using a thin metal object and watching the tach to see if it displays momentary readings while brushing the screwdriver across the magnetic tip quickly 

Here are the specs..

THE RPM SENSOR 130908C2 SHOULD MEASURE <1200 ohm’s AND INCREASE

DECREASE WITH ENGINE RPM’S

THE MPH SENSOR 121869C2 SHOULD MEASURE <1200 ohm’s AND INCREASE/

DECREASE WITH GROUND SPEED

THE EGT SENSOR 130898C2 SHOULD MEASURE 80-100 ohm’s AT ROOM

TEMPERATURE AND 300 ohm’s AT 1200 DEGREES

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

Here are the specs..

THE RPM SENSOR 130908C2 SHOULD MEASURE <1200 ohm’s AND INCREASE

DECREASE WITH ENGINE RPM’S

THE MPH SENSOR 121869C2 SHOULD MEASURE <1200 ohm’s AND INCREASE/

DECREASE WITH GROUND SPEED

THE EGT SENSOR 130898C2 SHOULD MEASURE 80-100 ohm’s AT ROOM

TEMPERATURE AND 300 ohm’s AT 1200 DEGREES

I'll save that for my own good. Thanks 

Ok guys thanks for the help.  I had to Crack the book open because I had no idea what a transducer was or where it was located lol ( instead of saying I'm not mechanical I should have said to really dumb it down for me ha)  anyway I have a question now.  The book doesn't say how to move the gear tooth.  So my question is once I remove the transducer how do I move the gear to make sure it lines up with tip of transducer?  

20210512_095457.jpg

turn it by hand til a tooth is perpendicular with the transducer and adjust the transducer according  and lock the nut  its the flywheel ring gear teeth that it senses