Scout help

Trying to start a 66 800A with the 196 engine that’s been sitting for 10 years. Pretty much new everything: plugs, wires fluids, etc. When I try to get it to start it doesn’t even try to fire, but I do get backfire through the carb. Only thing I can think of is the wires not being correctly placed on the distributor. If someone has that pattern please let me know or if you have any other advice on how to get it going that’d be appreciated. Thanks!

Incorrect point setting can change timing as well. Did it run well when parked? Ground test light and probe negative side of coil while cranking. Should get a clean flash as points open and close. If not points may be pitted, dirty, stuck or not set correctly 

Did you prime the oil pump? Nothing to do with timing but could cause a problem with no oil circulating when started.

44 minutes ago, jingles1928 said:

Did you prime the oil pump? Nothing to do with timing but could cause a problem with no oil circulating when started.

I have not. How do you?

3 hours ago, 1958560 said:

Incorrect point setting can change timing as well. Did it run well when parked? Ground test light and probe negative side of coil while cranking. Should get a clean flash as points open and close. If not points may be pitted, dirty, stuck or not set correctly 

It was running when it was last parked. I cleaned the points and they seem to be working fine

Sounds like you are going to have to pull the distributer anyway. While it is out you can get right to the top of the oil pump. The distributer runs off the top of the oil pump or the oil pump runs off the distributer, depends on rather you are a half full glass or half empty glass kind of guy. Either way you have to put some kind of tool (a sawed off screw driver blade is what I used to use) into the slot where the distributer drive came out. A variable speed  drill with the screwdriver chucked and then spin the pump. Pull the fitting where the oil pressure line comes out of the block until you see oil come out. you are then good to go. Somebody else might have a better way but this has worked for me. This is the procedure for the V-8, I would believe it is the same for the four cylinder.

V-8 are timed off of number eight cylinder, don't know if the fours are timed off number four.

valve adjustment, stuck exhaust valve/lifter/worn cam lobe

air/fuel adjustment on carb not correct

timing

just some things common to carb spitting

are the plugs wet after you crank?

• Like 1

Got it running today but noticed the carb is leaking like crazy. Also had the wires wrong on the distributor, and the muffler was packed full of mice nesting. Little more work and it’ll be road ready. Thanks for the help guys