1250 planter problems

Bought a 12 1250 16 row front fold planter 3 years ago. Have used it two seasons, half way thru 3rd. Got corn done Friday night and home in shed. Saturday morning it gives an 18001 code on the pro600 and disables the rate ecu. It wont let me unfold or do anything really. Checked power, fuses all good. Its hooked to an mx200 that is not iso bus wired so I installed a universal harness to power 600. Had a tech look at it this morning and he thought there should be a little terminator on the universal harness. There is a plug there but never had a terminator installed. He thought that may have taken out terminator on planter harness near the ECU stack. So I drive 4 hrs to get these two terminators, plug them in and still get 18001, and now 2 28233 codes, one for frame ecu can bus and other for clutch can bus fault. So I unplugged terminator in cab on universal harness and try again and it works! Unfold, swap bean discs in, start it up, 18001 is back, nothing works. Anybody ever have any experience like this? Tech supposed to be back in the morning, so I guess we'll see what he guesses next. Thanks, Robert 

You need to check the voltage on the can system, can go and can low (the yellow and green wires) checked to ground should add up to ~5v. Ohm between them at the diagnostic connector should be 60 ohms. If it is 120 you are missing a terminator most likely the one on the planter.  Check the ISO connector, I have had to replace pins in that connector.  For your information the RE number on that terminator is the John Deere part number.  It was $43 at CIH and $78 at Deere last I checked, AGCO uses the same one also. If you need one and one is less than 4 hr drove the cost doesn't matter.

6 hours ago, Iowa5288 said:

You need to check the voltage on the can system, can go and can low (the yellow and green wires) checked to ground should add up to ~5v. Ohm between them at the diagnostic connector should be 60 ohms. If it is 120 you are missing a terminator most likely the one on the planter.  Check the ISO connector, I have had to replace pins in that connector.  For your information the RE number on that terminator is the John Deere part number.  It was $43 at CIH and $78 at Deere last I checked, AGCO uses the same one also. If you need one and one is less than 4 hr drove the cost doesn't matter.

The tech claims voltages are correct. Check can go and low at diagnostic connector in cab? Iso pins all look straight and clean. Tech mentioned that terminator was JD number, maybe local deere dealer has the planter terminator, but the one that looks like a module on the cab harness was one of 2 in the state. Not sure why everything worked for 2 seasons without the cab terminator module, or if I really need it. It was around 220. Really only need 600 to fold/raise planter and operate vac fan as meters are precision vdrives.

Sounds like the tractor harness is an older one that uses the 4-pin active terminator? Looks like a gold box that's about 3" x 5" wide? Newer ones use a little rubber plug-looking thing that's 6 pins. That should be the style on your planter harness.

Yes, you can check the voltages on the tractor harness at the diagnostic connector. Check from pins H & J(Can Hi and Can Lo) to Pin A(ground). One should be just a little above 2.5v, the other just a little below 2.5v.

Are the softwares compatible between the planter controllers and the Pro600?

I needed one of those old-style active terminators ;last week on an older 1200 planter. Fortunately my precision farming tech had a spare one in his stash. 

14 minutes ago, SDman said:

Sounds like the tractor harness is an older one that uses the 4-pin active terminator? Looks like a gold box that's about 3" x 5" wide? Newer ones use a little rubber plug-looking thing that's 6 pins. That should be the style on your planter harness.

Yes, you can check the voltages on the tractor harness at the diagnostic connector. Check from pins H & J(Can Hi and Can Lo) to Pin A(ground). One should be just a little above 2.5v, the other just a little below 2.5v.

Are the softwares compatible between the planter controllers and the Pro600?

I needed one of those old-style active terminators ;last week on an older 1200 planter. Fortunately my precision farming tech had a spare one in his stash. 

Yes, tractor harness uses the 4 pin active terminator, but has worked for 2 seasons without it? I installed tractor harness when I bought planter in 19, was never instructed on needing the active terminator, would think a complete harness would include all components? We installed the precision meters and down force before start of last season and is operated by the 20/20 display, no crossover between the 2 systems that I know of.  The 600 came with planter and dealer had to update software for variable rate prescriptions, everything worked fine first year except for air clutch problems, which was partially why we went to precision meters. What does the terminator do? Can they be tested with an ohmmeter? Thanks

Also, do you or a neighbor have a 2388 combine around with a factory yield monitor system? They used 2 of those same active terminators on the yield monitor system, FYI.

Also, with that style of terminator you will not have a resistance value....think of the active terminator as a voltage regulator, not a resistor.

As far as working last year and not this year....that sure can happen with CanBus/terminator systems.

Last week I was working with a guy with a 1200PT planter he has had for years. The universal tractor harness had a passive terminator installed that an MX Magnum tractor used 15+ years ago. The system should have never worked with that style of terminator in the first place, but it did for years. The system finally quit working this year because the terminator on the planter went bad(gold 4-pin active terminator like the one on your tractor harness).

Stupid me...you said this was on an MX200. Does it still have the original terminators? Original ones on those were these same active terminators. One behind the air filter access door and one behind the back cab panel with the SMV sign. We had problems with them on the Magnums so we replaced them with passive terminators, but we still use the active terminators on planters/yield monitors because of higher communication traffic. If you still have the active terminators on the Magnum, replace them with a pair of these($30-40 bucks apiece IIRC) and keep the active terminators for your planter harness. 

58CE8B5F-AC0B-4A0F-8AC0-9E00ED73BE9B.jpeg

7 hours ago, SDman said:

Stupid me...you said this was on an MX200. Does it still have the original terminators? Original ones on those were these same active terminators. One behind the air filter access door and one behind the back cab panel with the SMV sign. We had problems with them on the Magnums so we replaced them with passive terminators, but we still use the active terminators on planters/yield monitors because of higher communication traffic. If you still have the active terminators on the Magnum, replace them with a pair of these($30-40 bucks apiece IIRC) and keep the active terminators for your planter harness. 

58CE8B5F-AC0B-4A0F-8AC0-9E00ED73BE9B.jpeg

This what you're talking about? Tech hooked up the new active terminator that I tried and got codes and no go with and now everything works fine!? In the meantime I installed a pto pump setup on the planter, but it keeps spinning the adapter off the pump. Apparently need to change a relief and unloader valve to switch to pto from tractor hydraulics. The mrs headed to Aberdeen to grab those, hopefully be going tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, very much appreciated!

You need the unloading valve and relief valve for the Multivalve?  I’ve got extras as we swap pto pumps on/ off of planters all the time. 

76113B20-0EE1-420E-A1CC-601B6AF66F35.jpeg

1 hour ago, SDman said:

You need the unloading valve and relief valve for the Multivalve?  I’ve got extras as we swap pto pumps on/ off of planters all the time. 

76113B20-0EE1-420E-A1CC-601B6AF66F35.jpeg

Read this too late, I've got them now, lol. But if you can tell me for sure which ports they go in, that would be awesome!

Look at references #24 and #25. The first picture is what you should have now. The second picture shows the valves in place of the plugs in their respective locations.

1250 valve tractor hydraulic.PNG

1250 valve PTO drive.PNG

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, IHCfarmer said:

Boy I LOVE my 900 cyclo air planter with a seed flow II Monitor!!

Dad unplugged the monitor on his jd 7000 30 years ago, just looks for seed at ends when he turns around. This newer stuff isnt all bad, just makes you think once in a while

1 hour ago, IHCfarmer said:

Boy I LOVE my 900 cyclo air planter with a seed flow II Monitor!!

We have a pair of 955 cyclo air six rows and a 1200 12 row pivot planter . In ways I would like to get a 1200 pt 16 row and gut the seed stuff off and replace it with two cyclo hoppers . It would be the beat of both worlds in my opinion

Got most of a day in with all working excellent. That is until 5:00, when the serpentine belt shredded itself. Local dealer didnt have it so mrs drove for 2 hrs to get one. Ground hay in the meantime. Finished first field right at dark. Thanks for all the help, Robert 

• Like 2