GMC UnDurablemax Diesel.

806 man

On 5/10/2021 at 1:52 PM, Matt Kirsch said:

Truck's 15 years old. How durable do you want?

Back in the 70's three years was it and you were looking for a new one because it had 50,000 miles on it, the engine was shot, the body was rotted off...  Nobody said boo about it. Now you have a 15-20 year old truck and complain that it's not durable?

My Buddies 1963 IHC  V266 4 speed went well over 170,000 miles with no serious issues.  He retired it to his farm in 1978.

My 1960 IHC B100 BD240 3 speed had the odometer twisted  off when I bought it, it needed rings but I think it had at least 150,000 miles on it.

My 1969 IHC 1100D Travelal V304 4 speed had 96,000 miles on it when I got rid of it in 89, The tappet covers had never been off the engine and was running good when I sold it. It did have some below the door rust but not bad. This truck I owned since new.

We currently own a 1973 Dodge Dart when I got it in 99 it had the original /6 and transmission. The body was still good the only real failure were brakes and U-joints the audometer was at 65,000 but that was most likely 165,000 miles.

Roads and conditions are much better today, so are fuel and lubricants those factors alone account for much of the so called improvements.

If you look at heavy duty trucks they were doing 400,000 before a major failure in the 60's.

All of my vehicle experience has been in California and Texas not the rust belt.  Except we operated a line haul opefration Nation Wide from 88 until 2018.

The new is better in my opinion is an accepted myth.

On 5/10/2021 at 2:52 PM, Matt Kirsch said:

Back in the 70's three years was it and you were looking for a new one because it had 50,000 miles on it, the engine was shot, the body was rotted off...  Nobody said boo about it. Now you have a 15-20 year old truck and complain that it's not durable?

Either I got a time machine or that statement isn't accurate.....................Just had my '72 K-20 out today and it has mud on it???????    It is 2021 right?   2021-1972=49 years..............Not 3?   

36 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Either I got a time machine or that statement isn't accurate.....................Just had my '72 K-20 out today and it has mud on it???????    It is 2021 right?   2021-1972=49 years..............Not 3?   

some has to do with owner /region

has puzzled me for 50 yrs,grandfather (ran/owned a garage)got a new '69 pre retirement.maybe 50 mile a week and 2-3 x 500 trip.garage kept,was a big deal to get a ride as the seats were like new.  by 73 it "was shot"

and yet the kb 8 fire truck was on the job ,to EVERY function until '88

• Like 2

Up here in the old days 100,000 miles your engine was tired and your body was probably not far behind, I attribute the majority of the engine portion to 6 months of cold weather operation where your carburetor choked would feed raw fuel down washing your combustion chambers debris and grinding it in with your piston rings, be interested to hear if warm climates faired better?

I’m an old school guy and know what forged cranks, pop up pistons and big 2 valve heads did, when my buddy had a GM 6L laying apart it looked wimpy but engineering wise it’s hard to argue these guys are regularly pushing 2 and 3 times the hp and surviving what the old stuff did no matter how great it looked, perfecting fuel injection has played a big part

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mmi said:

some has to do with owner /region

has puzzled me for 50 yrs,grandfather (ran/owned a garage)got a new '69 pre retirement.maybe 50 mile a week and 2-3 x 500 trip.garage kept,was a big deal to get a ride as the seats were like new.  by 73 it "was shot"

and yet the kb 8 fire truck was on the job ,to EVERY function until '88

Oh, mine isn't original, replaced metal once, someone replaced it before I did.  Original 350 was swapped out for a 454, then I swapped in the inline.  I did put speed parts on the inline, such as TBI fuel injection, headers, HEI distributor ditching points, cause of EFI I needed an electric fuel pump so the mechanical one was tossed.  But the point is I still run it an use it, and its to the point the metal needs done again, but I got 20 years out of it after doing it the 1st time, and who knows how long the original owner got out of it, and do use it in mud/snow/etc so i don't think that is too bad.  But it certainly wasn't junk in 3 years.  I plan on fixing it again and I might swap in a NV4500 and definitely want to put AC in it, but other than that, will come apart, rebuilt and go back as is.  I have to find something to use while its done and that is the big problem, not much out there to be had.  

Fuel injection is what has helped engines go 100,000 miles and beyond. After 50,000 to 75,000 the old carburetors would get a vacuum leak somewhere. Vacuum hose, base gasket, whatever and run rich. Washing down the cylinder walls. Thinning the oil. All leading to those engines to wear out. Had every shop back in the day not thrown off the old Rochester fuel injection system when it gave a little trouble and replaced it with a carburetor , it would have been interesting to see a long term test of a fuel injected vs carbed 327 for durability.

On 5/9/2021 at 11:18 PM, 806 man said:

Have a 2006 GMC diesel with 190k miles, head gasket blew and ruined head and block. Any good quality reman engines out there which don't cost more then the pu is worth? Local dealer wants $20K for their reman installed.

yuk that stinks man o man im sorry that happened to you 

I have a 1993 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 with 235,000 miles. 6.5 diesel/auto still running fine. I've had guys try to buy it but at this point in life why sell it? All original kinda, 15 years ago left rear corner was hit while sitting along a sidewalk.

A friend is restoring his deceased FIL 1986 chevy pickup with over 700,000 miles on it. Gas engine, Even comes with a hole in the drivers floor board otherwise not much rust. they think it was spilling his beverage of choice quite often.

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2021 at 5:14 AM, hobbyfarm said:

That stinks.  I'm told they usually need head gaskets around that mileage and that costs 5-6k.

To many guys driving it, Hardly warm by the time you get to the field. Shop guy knew it was using water, then found a leak thinking it was good but still adding water, at some point changed out EGR cooler thinking it was fixed. Had it running with gauge on radiator wouldn't make much pressure.  One day I took it out for a longer drive just to see if it was fixed It wasn't so took it to dealer. said head and block had damage from combustion gases.   Half tempted to put some gob-it-on the block,surface the head and see what happens. A local repair shop says $14,000 for reman long block installed.

12 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Nothing from the 70's lasted more than 3 years around here. Paint was garbage. Metal was garbage. Throw in a little road salt, and around here you could put your finger through just about any fender panel after 3 years. In 5 years you could see the ground through the floor. Lots of Flintstones jokes going around at he time.

"Pop rivets, roof flashing, and bondo" was the most common vehicle color in the area well into the 1980s.

If you have something from the 70's in the Rust Belt, it's either had the body completely replaced multiple times, or it was never driven in the winter.

1 minute ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Nothing from the 70's lasted more than 3 years around here. Paint was garbage. Metal was garbage. Throw in a little road salt, and around here you could put your finger through just about any fender panel after 3 years. In 5 years you could see the ground through the floor. Lots of Flintstones jokes going around at he time.

"Pop rivets, roof flashing, and bondo" was the most common vehicle color in the area well into the 1980s.

If you have something from the 70's in the Rust Belt, it's either had the body completely replaced multiple times, or it was never driven in the winter.

Ummmmm no..................

4 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Ummmmm no..................

I know a Guy in Springdale Arkansas that has is late FIL 79 or 80 K1500 350 4 speed original everything and no rust anywhere.  It is sort of retired and being used as a shop truck for his RV repair business. Been in the same area forever.  Owned by a mechanic, so I expect it has had good service and possibly inside storage.

my buddy had an 05 duramax, he had flywheel/starter issues, glow plug harness issues, turbo issues ( replaced ) two txfer cases one reman, one had rebuilt, front end issues, torque converter issues luckily he caught before destroying the allison, and this truck was not chipped, injector issues, not lifted, basically a grocery getter and it pulled my skid steer 2x in its life 100 miles. Never any heavy towing outside of that other than a 16ft flatbed with lumber stuff now n then. It had 230k on it and he finally dumped it and got a new gasser half ton about 6 mos ago. It was pretty rusty. 

i think i heard the 07 to 11 were the best of the bunch regarding the duramax ? 

2 hours ago, oleman said:

I know a Guy in Springdale Arkansas that has is late FIL 79 or 80 K1500 350 4 speed original everything and no rust anywhere.  It is sort of retired and being used as a shop truck for his RV repair business. Been in the same area forever.  Owned by a mechanic, so I expect it has had good service and possibly inside storage.

Oh, they are out there.......neighbor of mine drove a '72 C-10 up until 2000 or so, did rust repair on it once, rebuilt the 350 once.............Needed rocker panels again so he bought a new Ram and parked it..............They are out there, have to clean them.  I will say this brine is alot harder to deal with than salt, everything sticks to the brine.  I have hot water plumbed outside, I rinse them off once a week all winter, more the underside than what everyone sees.

12 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I had a buddy that swore by Jasper engines I think there in Texas

jasper indiana - they work on all kinds of engines - even electric 

• Thanks 1

src manufacturing makes great remans, they are here in MO and they do duramax engine rebuilds but you have to go thru a dealer/oem to get their stuff, i have one in my 5088, its a 436B 

Sold my 2500 2009 Duramax with 189+++ . Bought new in Nov 2009 sold Nov 2020 .

Sold for 18000.00 cash as is where is . Was asking 20,000.00 
had dent in tail gate , needed new air cleaner box. Was ready for complete service. Always serviced by GM , pull 30 ft Gooseneck mostly to tractor shows . Was my daily driver, only serious  problem was when detail shop some years back shorted and fried wire harness .

insurance and GM took care of it .

ended up buying a new  2020 3500 Duramax GMC 

reason I ordered new one  Dec. of 2019 took delivery Jan 20, 2020 was I thought I was going to tow tractors to South Dakota Red Power in June-of 20  but when changed to August that killed it for us Cali guys because of harvest . 
otherwise I would still be driving my 09, not that I don’t love my GMC , I do , now with the shortage of pick ups on lots I am glad I bought it .

tony 

B3752080-B24E-48CB-888B-688C32549590.jpeg

E4B59F92-39B1-450D-A23C-378A04F0600E.jpeg

DE5077DB-5F42-4D96-937C-73AE484E7578.jpeg

73AA5370-0895-45EB-8275-8D422EFA88A7.jpeg

57FDEA18-CDDA-4607-9830-BF5BBAD61415.jpeg

2677AD05-F5DA-4C4E-A7AD-8C3474B3A887.jpeg

BFA5E658-70E8-4AC2-B203-FC93725D3974.jpeg

5F77A3FA-B45A-4A5F-89FB-0F198B1142D3.jpeg

55725D88-970D-4A79-807A-A010A7FD19E8.jpeg

• Like 4