GMC UnDurablemax Diesel.

806 man

Have a 2006 GMC diesel with 190k miles, head gasket blew and ruined head and block. Any good quality reman engines out there which don't cost more then the pu is worth? Local dealer wants $20K for their reman installed.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

The one your guy drives?  Thats odd sounding since i know lots with alot.more.

But yeah 20k for a engine is loke normal and nuts nowday.  It prob worth mid teens here with them miles.  That Portland Engine guy maybe?  See their ads and they have a warranty 

Wasn’t there a recent other thread where another service truck engine went and same quote, think you guys found other vendors with much lower options than $20K for all brands

That stinks.  I'm told they usually need head gaskets around that mileage and that costs 5-6k.

Local Mechanic Here in Mid-Michigan Purchases Used low Mile GM trucks from the Military Surplus auctions.

Most of the Truck Body's don't convert to civilian use,  Most have the Frames shortened for special tug duties.

He Usually Gives around $2500. Dollars for the Running truck.

Parts out the Vehicle, Engine, Trans, Square Body Cab.

Several "Web Sites",   listed in Different areas of the USA,

Our area Also has,  Commercial utilities Trucks,  Fire trucks,   Emergency Vans,  All at a Auction site a few miles from our small town.

My 2 cents, Jim Droscha   

• Like 1

Any other old ones for sale in your area? Seems like you can get rusty early Duramax trucks around here (in Michigan so everything is rusty) for 2k to 5k. Find one cheap with a beat body or some other issue that is a runner then pulling a running engine and even if you freshen up gaskets and injectors on it before it goes in your truck just doing that preventative service on a running engine from a donor truck would probably be cheaper than a crate engine. Then part out/scrap what is left of the other truck to get some money back. Probably the best way to not total the truck with the cost of an engine.

2 minutes ago, cgage said:

Any other old ones for sale in your area? Seems like you can get rusty early Duramax trucks around here (in Michigan so everything is rusty) for 2k to 5k. Find one cheap with a beat body or some other issue that is a runner then pulling a running engine and even if you freshen up gaskets and injectors on it before it goes in your truck just doing that preventative service on a running engine from a donor truck would probably be cheaper than a crate engine. Then part out/scrap what is left of the other truck to get some money back. Probably the best way to not total the truck with the cost of an engine.

Here that truck would list for 12 to 15k depending on how nice.  Even a rougher work truck be 10k with a diesel.  And that generation rust?  Never seen that.  Your 10k min buddy.  Maybe punt and find a newer one.  I cant see you fiddling with a swap and such this time of season.

Interesting...here the Duramax are considered the most reliable and obviously by driving by any ag related biz the most pop.  Construct guys like the F550 so chev dont got that market.  But cattle guys and most every crop and dairyman has a a chev.  Few rams (the 6.7 losses head gaskets on 3 personal friends Rams in under 75k.) litttle fords on farms.  A 06 is thought to be one of the better gen.  Least emissions and highest resale.  Buddy has 3 or 4.  Run cull cows and heifers in 22' trailers all over the NW and prob avg 200(k on all of them.  The 07 has to have 400 on by now.  He bought one new few years ago (16) other wise he wont buy without 100 to 150k on to save some $.

Weird how regionality affects peoples view on a machine.

I just seen a Duramax head in a machine shop.

Machinist took .030 off the head and will then use a head shim to fill in the gap.

He said it worked pretty well.

Unsure if you can get them in varied thicknesses.

15 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Here that truck would list for 12 to 15k depending on how nice.  Even a rougher work truck be 10k with a diesel.  And that generation rust?  Never seen that.  Your 10k min buddy.  Maybe punt and find a newer one.  I cant see you fiddling with a swap and such this time of season.

Interesting...here the Duramax are considered the most reliable and obviously by driving by any ag related biz the most pop.  Construct guys like the F550 so chev dont got that market.  But cattle guys and most every crop and dairyman has a a chev.  Few rams (the 6.7 losses head gaskets on 3 personal friends Rams in under 75k.) litttle fords on farms.  A 06 is thought to be one of the better gen.  Least emissions and highest resale.  Buddy has 3 or 4.  Run cull cows and heifers in 22' trailers all over the NW and prob avg 200(k on all of them.  The 07 has to have 400 on by now.  He bought one new few years ago (16) other wise he wont buy without 100 to 150k on to save some $.

Yeah markets definitely change by area. Chevy is very popular around here and seems to have a large majority of the 1/2 ton market in my area. There are some of the Duramax for sale and some people do want crazy money but there seem to always be a few cheap listings of ones that are all beat up. Last year I got a Chevy 2500 for my wife and had to work to find one we wanted with a 6.0 because I didn't want the diesel. The Dodge Cummins seem to have the strongest pricing around my area. You used to also be able to pick up the old 7.3 Fords pretty reasonable too but those are going up in price for a clean one. New diesel trucks seem to be pretty evenly mixed.

• Like 1

Yeah, we have one guy at work that does 60 hours a weeek doing duramax head gaskets.  Good luck on your search

• Confused 1

Aluminum heads on an iron block in a diesel, designed for failure, more GM engineering at ISUZU. ISUZU makes great diesels, wonder why GM didn't use one of them. 

i have 430,000k on my 2006 i bought new. never know they might blow out next time to town ,lol. i firmly believe the ones that drive them like a gas engine have all the problems. seen that with the ford diesels also. these are isuzu engines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

I'm not sure on cost but there is a place here in town that specializes in Duramax. https://www.hicksvilleautorecyclers.com/rebuilt-engines.html

I bought an engine for my daughter's car from that place last year off of Ebay and a transmission for my 03 Duramax. Gave me a pretty good price and warranty on both.

• Like 1

Duramax is as good as any modern diesel in a pickup today.   Have to pay the price for turning them up and abusing them.  The aftermarket makes everything you need to support any power level you want and be dependable.   Have an 07 LBZ here that's been the best truck I've ever owned.  

• Like 1

Truck's 15 years old. How durable do you want?

Back in the 70's three years was it and you were looking for a new one because it had 50,000 miles on it, the engine was shot, the body was rotted off...  Nobody said boo about it. Now you have a 15-20 year old truck and complain that it's not durable?

• Haha 1

My brother in laws had over 200,00 when he decided to put a tuner on it. He thought an extra 100hp would be nice. Blew a head gasket pulling a fifth wheel load of cut up trees. People don't realize what adding that kind of power does. It's the difference between an M and a 1486. The Duramax's like any diesel went thru changes to improve reliability and serviceability. They have been a good Diesel.

43 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Truck's 15 years old. How durable do you want?

Back in the 70's three years was it and you were looking for a new one because it had 50,000 miles on it, the engine was shot, the body was rotted off...  Nobody said boo about it. Now you have a 15-20 year old truck and complain that it's not durable?

Drove plenty of 70s pickups that were over 15 years old. Some were somewhat rusty and some where not. Way more than 50,000 miles on all of them too.

7 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Think that was a powerstroke but same probably applies here?

i'm pretty sure on all the v8 diesels anymore the proper way to pull the heads or engine for that matter is to pull the cab so i can see why its so high 

3 hours ago, oleman said:

Aluminum heads on an iron block in a diesel, designed for failure, more GM engineering at ISUZU. ISUZU makes great diesels, wonder why GM didn't use one of them. 

Aluminum heads to try to keep weight off that ifs i always thought gm messed up by going with a ifs in the 3/4s and 1 tons 

• Haha 1

I thought head gasket issues was the worst on LB7 and LLY, LBZ was a better engine, I guess if you put tuners and crank up the boost something is going to give, they are an Isuzu engine primarily GM specd the Bosch injectors where the original was Denso and had virtually no failures, they might have left that alone, I admit aluminium heads and cast iron usually has issues but I think it’s been a fairly reliable design 

The power stroke was mine at work and it is sitting in a stack headed to the foundry somewhere. 2003 258,000 miles

offered to give it to a shop and they turned it down

12 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

I have a friend who bought one about the same time I did, both are 2006 his is chipped, runs it hard its still going at 340k miles. i ran mine to 140K then made it a spare farm truck, guys start and drive to the field maybe 8 miles max which isn't easy on it. My 2017 needed head gaskets before 30k miles.

• Sad 2