Good ole days...

Norton1256

Mr Norton sir I admire your optimism. pull the T/A slap the throttle, I know I can make it through?

Mighty fine looking 1086, do you still have it???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Norton1256 said:

Helping neighbors out back in '96 with my 10....i was 21 I think

20200927_204914.jpg

You guys always could find the mud up the hill. Guess I was lucky my dad bought ground couple miles away with gravel!  Is that some Carlstrom mud?

6 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

You guys always could find the mud up the hill. Guess I was lucky my dad bought ground couple miles away with gravel!  Is that some Carlstrom mud?

Carlstroms corn across the rd from the cemetery in sinclairville...

8 hours ago, stronger800 said:

And it’s a corn field....Implying that he had made it through there just two rows earlier!   

Wagon was getting fuller, therefore it was getting heavier!

• Like 1

-kid you not-   Have a buddy that had a young guy helping him chop last year with a pull behind chopper. Figured it was safer to just let him run the chopper round and round than to try to teach him how to pull up to the bunk or blower to unload. Well my buddy gets back to the field with an empty wagon and sees the guy coming up the field with the blower shoot turned 90 degrees and he’s shooting corn on the ground.  “Wagon was full”.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

-kid you not-   Have a buddy that had a young guy helping him chop last year with a pull behind chopper. Figured it was safer to just let him run the chopper round and round than to try to teach him how to pull up to the bunk or blower to unload. Well my buddy gets back to the field with an empty wagon and sees the guy coming up the field with the blower shoot turned 90 degrees and he’s shooting corn on the ground.  “Wagon was full”.

Couple stories along those lines. 

Neighbor one time employed a kid who wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box. They would pull the tractor and silage wagon up to the blower for him and all he had to do was unload the wagons. Silo got full and started coming over the side of the silo. The silage coming off the silo scared him. He jumped off the tractor, everything still unloading and ran away. Silage cascading down the side of the silo.

Another mess at the neighbor's I did get to help clean up was the time another of his hired hands was running a load up and went into Lala land. Silo got full to the gooseneck. Backed up and plugged 60 foot of silo pipe. What finally stopped him was it back fed all the way back to the blower and sheared the shear bolts. 

1 minute ago, Reichow7120 said:

Couple stories along those lines. 

Neighbor one time employed a kid who wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box. They would pull the tractor and silage wagon up to the blower for him and all he had to do was unload the wagons. Silo got full and started coming over the side of the silo. The silage coming off the silo scared him. He jumped off the tractor, everything still unloading and ran away. Silage cascading down the side of the silo.

Another mess at the neighbor's I did get to help clean up was the time another of his hired hands was running a load up and went into Lala land. Silo got full to the gooseneck. Backed up and plugged 60 foot of silo pipe. What finally stopped him was it back fed all the way back to the blower and sheared the shear bolts. 

I’ve heard quite a few guys plug the pipe and stall the tractor. They must use grade 8 shear bolts

We filled four silos for 35 years.  I’d get almost through a season without plugging  the pipe.... then I’d get in a big rush and plug it.  Have an excellent man that has helped us forever. He unloads slow and the easy. Rarely plugs a pipe. But he can’t back up or judge different lengthen wagons for crap. Gotta pull in on an angle, then swing to keep shaft straight, tandems require more room to swing etc.  

Other more experienced guy tells a story of how he pulled in and sees first guy Shoveling corn off the pad into the blower at 100 miles an hour, because he missed the blower and  couldn’t back the longer tandem wagon up to correct it. 

Other neighbor use to blow with a 4240 (?), I know it wasn’t a 4440, but it was still 125-140hp I’d say, and his helper would plug it and stall it regularly. Not that.....we we had never done. Never a shear bolt either.

It’s not like a p,it happens instantly. You get to hearrrrrrrrr that “oh crap” happening 

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

Other neighbor use to blow with a 4240 (?), I know it wasn’t a 4440, but it was still 125-140hp I’d say, and his helper would plug it and stall it regularly. Not that.....we we had never done. Never a shear bolt either.

It’s not like a p,it happens instantly. You get to hearrrrrrrrr that “oh crap” happening 

Yep.  All the sudden "that sounds weird.. AH!" Plugged

We blew with a 5088.  Go help a neighbor and I be like "wth this is slow".  Wed pull up.  Flip on pto.  Set to 1400 and go and eat a sandwich.  Help neighbors with a 2140 on blower....good grief.  Tractor idling to unload

1 hour ago, Norton1256 said:

I don't miss filling silos....the worst was alfalfa....

oatlage in milk stage.just trickle it in.

15 hours ago, Norton1256 said:

Helping neighbors out back in '96 with my 10....i was 21 I think

20200927_204914.jpg

When I get stuck it looks a lot like you! My wife says that I don’t do anything halhazzed. 

Grandpa used to say “Lord hates a quitter boy”. You sir, don’t mess around. ? Why get a little stuck when you can plant it. You might have made it if you had AC/DC playing on the 8-track...?

Mr Norton grew up couple miles from me. In early 2000s his brother Jason had an old army truck with a silage body on it (he might still have it). That thing was a beast! Even with the front axle disconnected he could run circles around my Mack. I watched my brother sliding sideways across a hill with a self propelled chopper in first cutting hay while Jason had that army truck running straight next to him. Same day his brakes weren’t too good and trying to make a corner backed into a ravine. I had to stand on top of my truck to see if he was still upright. Next thing you know he drives out of it and gets next to the chopper ready to go! 

• Haha 1