The guy down the road...

Got a house down the road from my folks a fellow bought, it has changed hands a couple times, always second home owners that come up on weekends. seems like a nice enough fellow, young adult kids, both very pleasant and polite. Was down looking at a couple things he wanted repaired, had a couple really fancy nice chairs out on his front porch. I asked about them, he said he wished he had never bought them, that he didn’t realize what sitting on his porch meant around here. First he says, the neighbor next door, old guy, quite the story teller,  saw him out and wandered over and chatted for a while a couple times. Then he says the neighbor up the road, also a second homeowner from CT was walking his dog and stopped and chatted a while, invited him to stop up for a beer. 
this guy said he figured he would put the chairs away, he didn’t realize it was an open invitation to come visit, that he figured he was 60 years old and had enough friends and didn’t need anymore. 
i made a mental note not to darken his doorstep uninvited... 

takes all kinds i guess. 

• Like 2

Wth

Isnt that part of sitting on a porch?  Guess sit em on the back deck buddy.

I wish we had a decent wrap around front porch for sitting and visiting.  Our TV is in basement.  So from 8 to 10 most nights we kinda are in our 'den' and see nothing.  I hate the idea of 2 tv in house but the living room up stairs would be kinda nice to use more and at least see the world go by.  But i love the warm and cool basement too.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

You should have asked if he wanted to get rid of the chairs.

That’s where I thought it was going also. LOL

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

You should have asked if he wanted to get rid of the chairs.

I couldn’t afford them 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Wth

Isnt that part of sitting on a porch?  Guess sit em on the back deck buddy.

I wish we had a decent wrap around front porch for sitting and visiting.  Our TV is in basement.  So from 8 to 10 most nights we kinda are in our 'den' and see nothing.  I hate the idea of 2 tv in house but the living room up stairs would be kinda nice to use more and at least see the world go by.  But i love the warm and cool basement too.  

This guy has a TV in every room... including one of the bathrooms

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Your story of this fellow is my life, I love being outside and doing my thing on our stuff, even with my game leg I try to do something all the time, it used to be hi and then back to what I was doing, now I just ignore whoever is walking by, I just like being alone, this fellow appeared to be nice to you, take it from there.

• Like 3

Started reading this and was going to put up a "laugh" but then it got sad. I hate putting those up. 

Remember the days before air conditioning when everyone sat out on their front porch during the hot summer months to be cool. 

We need to get back to those days when everyone was your nieghbor and friend. Visiting is a lost art to some. 

Kids families just left from grillling steaks for Mothers Day and my gut hurts from eating so much and laughing so hard. 

Dammit we need to slow down and take the time to enjoy ourselves with those we love and even those we don't but put up with because we are civil and it is easier to get along with people than to have a cobup ourbutt over the stupid things going on around us. 

HOpe everyone had an enjoyable Mothers Day. Me and the missus sure did. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Started reading this and was going to put up a "laugh" but then it got sad. I hate putting those up. 

Remember the days before air conditioning when everyone sat out on their front porch during the hot summer months to be cool. 

We need to get back to those days when everyone was your nieghbor and friend. Visiting is a lost art to some. 

Kids families just left from grillling steaks for Mothers Day and my gut hurts from eating so much and laughing so hard. 

Dammit we need to slow down and take the time to enjoy ourselves with those we love and even those we don't but put up with because we are civil and it is easier to get along with people than to have a cobup ourbutt over the stupid things going on around us. 

HOpe everyone had an enjoyable Mothers Day. Me and the missus sure did. 

I broke something this morning so I went over and pestered @1586 Jeff for the day! And he didn’t even have a chair out! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I use to have from 3 to 10 beer drinkers stop by at my shop most every evening when I was young and was farming and trucking. I enjoyed those days however now that I am in my mid seventy's and had cancer and heart bypass  I would prefer that I  and my wife just sit out on our deck and be left alone for the most part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

CNN in 3D?  s there one on the porch?

He could see 3 TVs from his porch.. 

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

This guy has a TV in every room... including one of the bathrooms

Hence the term,  we single analog tv w/converter  people call , muckity-mucks.

• Haha 3

i'm not a "people person" but i don't mind when neighbors stop to chat and we have our cast of characters who show up for coffee. keeps me informed on what is going on.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DHF said:

i'm not a "people person" but i don't mind when neighbors stop to chat and we have our cast of characters who show up for coffee. keeps me informed on what is going on.

But there’s always the one neighbor that...?

9 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Those rocking composite material chairs with stainless hardware? 

Yup

porch right out of Mayberry. 

48FAAA98-4C0F-4D0E-805A-77CA0F5B204B.jpeg

17 minutes ago, MTO said:

You know how he feels about us being judgmental....

Not being judgmental, I just found it an interesting attitude, nice fella pays his bills promptly, wants to be left alone. I can handle that. 

• Like 1