Good for another couple million blows

Got a call from my machinist buddy yesterday and we tackled cleanup on the 230lb Hay Budden yesterday afternoon. Started on the bottom and followed that by taking a little off the top, cleaning off the scale and rust while leveling it. Any pitting in the face can transfer to your work. This is not a necessary procedure, just something I like to do to a user anvil. This particular anvil was made in 1904 and has a hard plate steel face on it. That plate is forge welded to the body at the time of manufacture and is about 5/8” thick (after machining). The tool steel plate was common of many American makers. 

2AB6E9D9-1BE0-4C74-8A7E-6FABC9C5D9E4.jpeg

73DAF1D0-46C6-464B-8F28-C7BBE55067CA.jpeg

BDF61662-5E74-441B-8990-6C2E398732B6.jpeg

7101257D-ADAA-4EB2-87E1-AE0C050F9658.jpeg

653806C9-192A-46F3-904D-65ABEC4CCACD.jpeg

Machinist buddy is an IH guy and has a nice 67’ 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup with inline 6 and IH 5spd, 656, and a couple IH semi tractors from the late 60’s. 

• Like 21
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a call from my machinist buddy yesterday and we tackled cleanup on the 230lb Hay Budden yesterday afternoon. Started on the bottom and followed that by taking a little off the top, cleaning off th

Looks like I need to widen my sources to look for stuff but that doesn't help my space problem. Any 30x50 shops on big iron for about $10,000? 🙂

i have much to learn, i dont knwo the difference between a mill/lathe/surface grinder I thot they were all called a file 

Posted Images

I can't wait to see what you make using this new tool 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, bitty said:

I can't wait to see what you make using this new tool 

Really makes me want a mill....

1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

Really makes me want a mill....

450W first ......

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, bitty said:

450W first ......

The list is long 😂

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

And a surface grinder to finish it with!

I wish.....anvil is too big to fit.  I finished it by hand with a worn down flap disc to get what few marks there were out. 

A mill would be nice as well as a surface grinder. I have wanted a mill for about 15 years now but don't have the space currently nor the budget. Maybe someday. 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

A mill would be nice as well as a surface grinder. I have wanted a mill for about 15 years now but don't have the space currently nor the budget. Maybe someday. 

There was a nice big Milwaukee Model H No. 4 vertical mill located a little south of Omaha that sold on Big Iron last week for $350.  I thought that was a steal.  Reed Prentice lathe from the same seller sold for $470.  That was more of a project but still cheap enough.  I think the need to hire in a rigger to move this stuff held the price down.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

There was a nice big Milwaukee Model H No. 4 vertical mill located a little south of Omaha that sold on Big Iron last week for $350.  I thought that was a steal.  Reed Prentice lathe from the same seller sold for $470.  That was more of a project but still cheap enough.  I think the need to hire in a rigger to move this stuff held the price down.

Dang that is a pretty good price of it wasn't totaly wasted. Have a project lathe I need to finish working on. Need to get back on it.

The lathe had been stored in a pole barn building and the ways had rust on them.  Plus a Reed Prentice is not considered a top of line lathe, but for that kind of money a person couldn’t go wrong.  The mill was inside a shop yet and looked nice.  

• Like 1

Looks like I need to widen my sources to look for stuff but that doesn't help my space problem. Any 30x50 shops on big iron for about $10,000? 🙂

• Haha 4

Sorry to derail your topic sledge. Looks like your anvil came out very nice!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Sorry to derail your topic sledge. Looks like your anvil came out very nice!

Derail all you want. I like that stuff too 😉

• Like 1

Another  time when to be flat is good!

Good luck with your new tool, and get some hot metal formed soon!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oleman said:

Another  time when to be flat is good!

Good luck with your new tool, and get some hot metal formed soon!

Yes sir! 😊

That’s the plan. 

5 hours ago, Gearclash said:

They were both 3phase weren’t they? 
I would love to have a vertical mill or radial drill press, but I have to move the wife’s car out to even use my chopsaw. I am in the need for an anvil in a bad way. Just something to beat on, I am not nearly patient enough for nice finish work. 

I love what you did to the anvil, Sledge!!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

They were both 3phase weren’t they?

I don’t know for sure.  Most likely.  Safe to assume that single phase is pretty rare with that kind of equipment.  Best to budget an good used RPC if you want buy that kind of stuff.

• Like 2

What is the line down the top?  Is it the picture?  There before?  Or the mill not trammed in?

I run my 3 phase stuff with a big static phase-o-matic...............If I ever get a Haas TM or small VF I will need to go rotary, but for my other stuff I like the phase-o-matic................That rotary running drives me nuts, know a few guys who have them and have done work at those places.  

6 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

What is the line down the top?  Is it the picture?  There before?  Or the mill not trammed in?

I run my 3 phase stuff with a big static phase-o-matic...............If I ever get a Haas TM or small VF I will need to go rotary, but for my other stuff I like the phase-o-matic................That rotary running drives me nuts, know a few guys who have them and have done work at those places.  

It was a machine mark. Maybe I didn’t have something set right?  I don’t claim to know much about that stuff.

3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

It was a machine mark. Maybe I didn’t have something set right?  I don’t claim to know much about that stuff.

I was wondering............usually comes from the head on a mill being out of "tram"...........Or its pitched a hair(a few thousandths) one direction or the other causing that with a smaller diameter cutter than the width cut.  I had a cranky old fart instructor in college that made us tram the mill every day, I think the purpose was to show us that with other people using the same mills throughout the day, you never know what you were walking into unless you check them.  He used to get so mad at me, I would rough stuff out and not bother tramming since it really didn't matter at that point, I would tell him it was Tuesday no matter what day of the week it was when he asked why I didn't have the tram bar and back plunger indicator out.................He said no it isn't, I said yup, it is............No TRAM TUESDAY!  I later went to work for his relative, so I couldn't have been that bad:P

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I was wondering............usually comes from the head on a mill being out of "tram"...........Or its pitched a hair(a few thousandths) one direction or the other causing that with a smaller diameter cutter than the width cut.  I had a cranky old fart instructor in college that made us tram the mill every day, I think the purpose was to show us that with other people using the same mills throughout the day, you never know what you were walking into unless you check them.  He used to get so mad at me, I would rough stuff out and not bother tramming since it really didn't matter at that point, I would tell him it was Tuesday no matter what day of the week it was when he asked why I didn't have the tram bar and back plunger indicator out.................He said no it isn't, I said yup, it is............No TRAM TUESDAY!  I later went to work for his relative, so I couldn't have been that bad:P

One of the three carbides had a tip more worn by the end. I wonder if that could have been it?  That showed up in the last pass. 

@MTO did you even finish h/s

? you never had time for studying books you were too busy with extra curriculars 

8 hours ago, MTO said:

The topic title took me back to high school and.......nevermind.

• Haha 1