Skid steer concrete hammer on a tractor?

Working on a little project.  Ready to pour concrete in our basement and will not need a whole truck so going to do some improvements in the barn yard.  I want to add a water at a feed through fence and a concrete apron where I run in and out of the barn.  

Where the waterer needs to go there is buried treasure.  I found some concrete from another era.  I can't break it with a sledge and my skid steer is from 1998 and doesn't have auxiliary hydraulic outlets.  

Anyone use a skid steer impact breaker or whatever you call it?  Will it break up older concrete pretty easy.  I think we are a foot thick or maybe a little more.  It must be a footer from something.

Any thoughts on putting a breaker on the front of the 5250?  Although clumsy would it work for a 3x2 area? It is just a real little area.  I would blanket the front of the tractor to protect from any concrete chips.

Rent a skid loader and breaker or a mini-X  and a hammer for a day 

• Like 6

Would never put a hammer on a tractor, even if I could, they are hard on stuff.  Why not rent a electric jack hammer if its so small?  We chunked up a brick silo footer into 4 moveable chunks once, so your small job shouldn't take long.

• Like 2

Fwiw...  I dont know if a 5240 would have enough hydro for that either.  And if you rent on it wont have right fittings or attachment.  The tractor would be so clumsy to manuver for something so small.  And a foot thick... Your best diggin it up.  Or moving the waterer.  If you still wanna i am with bitty.  Just rent a proper one for a afternoon.  Be warned ollld cement is a B tonbreak esp if that think.  It just dont crumble.  Have fun!

Advise form some one who found many of them surprises. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It depends on the concrete as to whether the electric breakers will work on them or not. I had to remove some poured concrete feed bunks that my grandfather built in 1938. The electric breaker would barely touch it. It was a long hot job getting it out of there. Some of that older concrete is incredibly hard, just like rock. Apparently concrete keeps curing forever.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

Worst thing you can possibly do to a skid steer is use a jack hammer in concrete . 

Or unload cars of fertilizer 

Thet are uggggly

Running a hammer on my 60XT is hard work on the machine and me.  Easier than a sledgehammer but your joints feel it and the loader joints. 

• Like 1

My skid steer has aux hyd i use on several attachments, but when i need a jack hammer as said earlier i rent a skid steer with it. Somebody smarter than me could probly calculate how many 10s of hrs of normal wear is = to 1 hr of jack hammer use

• Like 2
1 minute ago, 1480x3 said:

My skid steer has aux hyd i use on several attachments, but when i need a jack hammer as said earlier i rent a skid steer with it. Somebody smarter than me could probly calculate how many 10s of hrs of normal wear is = to 1 hr of jack hammer use

Welded enough Deere Backhoe frames together that cracked right behind the battery box running a hammer that I know they aren't kind to anything man made............

• Like 1

Two words

Nitro glycerin🧨💥

Your welcome 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On a skid loader I would never want one unless you have hydraulic quick attach. It doesn't bother me to run one on ours for a day every few years average but a mini-X is the ticket for placing the hammer exactly where you want it at any angle also. 

If our most recent 85xt was out of the shop I would like to run a hammer a few days if it would loosen the rusted in pins on the hydraulic quick attach .... we cut the retaining bolts and are hoping it will come loose. Previous owner was a lawn service and we assume it loaded salt for snow removal as it's rusted solid 

• Like 1

Ok you guys convinced me I lost my mind.  Unfortunately I really can't move the waterer.  Hard to see but the concrete is definitely older.  Any chance something like this will work?  I beat on it with a sledge for a bit but I don't see my getting it done that way.  Trying to be a cheapskate and not rent a skid steer hammer combo.  

KIMG0359.JPG

Screenshot_20210509-194240.png

most standard flow skid steer aux hydraulics for running attachments are 16 to 23 gpm - smaller/older will be the 16gpm units bigger/newer will be in the 21 to 23 gpm units

hi flow units are 28 to 40gpm 

1 minute ago, hobbyfarm said:

Ok you guys convinced me I lost my mind.  Unfortunately I really can't move the waterer.  Hard to see but the concrete is definitely older.  Any chance something like this will work?  I beat on it with a sledge for a bit but I don't see my getting it done that way.  Trying to be a cheapskate and not rent a skid steer hammer combo.  

KIMG0359.JPG

Screenshot_20210509-194240.png

Hammer drill and one of those should be able to get it handled

1 minute ago, bitty said:

Hammer drill and one of those should be able to get it handled

Hammer drill to start a line to crack it and break it off?

• Like 1

The older Concrete gets, the Harder it gets.  Rent a  mini x or electric hammer (Hilti) and someone young with muscle to do the job.  Do not pry with the breaker point as it will break off easily.  I have demoed large underground footings that took a month to get out.  Only used Ford backhoes (755) and never broke a frame.

26 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I saw on Gold Rush that they have some stuff you can fill the hammer drill holes with that expands and breaks rock.

45 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Hammer drill to start a line to crack it and break it off?

I saw a commercial for that stuff and it looks like it is not cheap?

I would drill what you can in a straight line something like 6-12" apart then use a hammer

You  have a skid steer, and you have a tractor. I would keep digging until you can wrap a chain around it and drag it out of there. I’ve never ran a mounted jackhammer before, but I have manhandled a few of the manual ones, and they definitely work. 

I wouldn’t fuss with an electric hammer. Get a 100 pound jackhammer with an appropriate air compressor and go at it. The trick is to score it, move the tip of the hammer, and score it again, you’ll soon get a crack started, then just keep working like that. I did 1200 square feet doing that snd two guys with wheelbarrows couldn’t keep up with moving the busted concrete out. (Inside my dairy barn)

I've owned a Hilti TE-3000 like you have pictured above for nearly 10 years and can safely say it will be worth the rental fees. It puts the smaller electric hammers to shame.  Start at an edge and work out smaller pieces. 

9 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I wouldn’t fuss with an electric hammer. Get a 100 pound jackhammer with an appropriate air compressor and go at it. The trick is to score it, move the tip of the hammer, and score it again, you’ll soon get a crack started, then just keep working like that. I did 1200 square feet doing that snd two guys with wheelbarrows couldn’t keep up with moving the busted concrete out. (Inside my dairy barn)

A 100 pound jackhammer with an appropriate air compressor will definitely break up concrete up to about 10-12".   It will also jar the s__t out of your hands, joints, arms and bones.   Been there done that.....

• Like 1

Took the base out of a 20x80 blue tombstone with a rented bobcat/jack hammer for a neighbor, he used his to carry away the chunks. I ran the breaker. Took most of a day. Hammered verticle & horizontal. Heck of a chunk of concrete. Was like they dumped a load of gravel in the center, set up the bottom 5 ft ring and filled it up. Did not take out the footer, just the base on top of it. The tip of the breaker will sever rebar.

A skid steer and hydraulic breaker will knock apart a lot of concrete.  Do it right and it isn’t all that hard on the machine.  But there are other ways to make concrete go away without a breaker, provided there isn’t much or any bar in the concrete.   

This was a silo footing I found in a site where I want to do dirt work.  14 or 16’ diameter, about 4’ deep, and varied in thickness from 6-12”.  Exposed the footing on both sides with a 2 ton excavator, then dug a ramp down so I could get at the bottom of the footing with my 4500 lb skidsteer.  Using a set of pallet forks I could lever the footing enough  to make it wiggle.  Found there was a ring of rebar all the way around the top.  Sledge hammer and a cordless grinder took care of that.  Lots of levering around until half the footing was loose and tipped back, then find another big stout chunk of concrete that I could just lift to full height with the skid steer and drop it like a crude wrecking ball.

94E7EC35-B6B3-4154-9D0B-C951D1E3503B.jpeg

13750740-70B4-44EF-A043-6C7E86AE47F7.jpeg

CB6702A5-88B3-4384-B39B-E0E1FC5236DB.jpeg

• Like 1