Vertical tillage

bkorth

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

so got a new to me disc, not vertical, krause, ran it first time last night, how do i get the front to cut less and rear more, it wants to leave the lil strip of grass in the middle in the rear and the front digs hard with back barely cutting - our old 37 ih has a crank handle on the front for just such adjustment and this one has a big bolt, any idea which way to go with things ? gonna havfe to find a HUGE WRENCH for that hex head i think - the spring is broken but i am thinking that spring is just for absorbing bumps? 

If your Krause is like every other Krause I've been around the turnbuckle on the hitch needs to be adjusted.

Saw this on one of my service calls this morning and it brought back memories. Summers SuperCoulter...we sold several of them 15-20 years when no-till became popular here. Probably one of the earliest VT machines we ever sold. 

In regards to using VT machines for no-till farming, I recall a conversation I had with a dedicated no-tiller years ago about this. In his words, VT machines did minimal disturbance to the soil, allowing it to maintain all the characteristics of no-till. Sounded like political doublespeak to me. And yes, he did own a VT machine. 

C7BD6E43-A647-44C3-B024-FAD952B820A2.jpeg

F6CB853D-2E04-4D1F-AA5D-B64FAE9C009B.jpeg

In my area this spring I'm hearing a lot of guys complaining, myself included, about no till beans into irrigated corn stalks. We have been very dry, not much moisture during winter to break down residue, and the ground is really hard in places.This is what got me thinking about the vertical tillage machines to loosen the top enough to get beans in the ground, normally most everyone will plant beans at a slight angle to the old corn rows, this year the ground is so hard and dry that the planters, no matter what brand are having trouble cutting through the old corn rows and the seed just ends up under the trash and you either turn the pivot on or pray for rain.

54 minutes ago, bkorth said:

In my area this spring I'm hearing a lot of guys complaining, myself included, about no till beans into irrigated corn stalks. We have been very dry, not much moisture during winter to break down residue, and the ground is really hard in places.This is what got me thinking about the vertical tillage machines to loosen the top enough to get beans in the ground, normally most everyone will plant beans at a slight angle to the old corn rows, this year the ground is so hard and dry that the planters, no matter what brand are having trouble cutting through the old corn rows and the seed just ends up under the trash and you either turn the pivot on or pray for rain.

We had always planted at an angle to the corn rows as you mentioned. With RTK my brother decided he had enough accuracy to plant between the old corn rows. He did buy a stalk smasher for the tractor to try and save the tires. We have enough down pressure that getting the beans in the ground has never been a problem. But should get much more consistent seed to soil contact without bouncing across the rows.

So basically it's for cutting corn stalks?

If that's so there would not be much need for them down here. Our winters are warm enough that stuff can rot some. Especially since corn is cut in August! 

Honestly there is not much no till down here.

Thx-Ace 

13 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Only disc I have never been able to get where it performed good is John Deere. Doesn’t make any difference as to the model either. 

Agreed, with the exception (in my opinion) of the TW, TWA, 1630, and 1640 tandem plowing (not offset) disks.  I had a TW, which I bought after pulling a friend's TWA.  They were tough, pulled straight, and cut really well.

This is a TWA.  Mine was a TW, an earlier version.

The 110, 210, 220, and 230 were not good disks.  Pulled hard, didn't level, and broke easily.

TWA disk 2.jpg

TWA disk.jpg