Anyone have a 540 FH plow? I have a couple questions....

Could use a couple pictures of the in-furrow Fast Hitch assembly if anyone has them or could take a few. Curious as to what all goes into it & how it's mounted up. I'd like to have the option of changing the plow over from 3PT to FH should my 806 give me any problems come plowing time. The next question is, what is the reason for not being able to take an extra bottom off & use it as a three bottom? The manual states that I can take a six down to five & a five down to four, but I can't take a four down to a three bottom. Why is that?

TIA

Mike

540 to a 535. Easy. Drop rear bottom, move tail wheel forward. Adding pics of a FH setup as well. 

430259B3-7FEB-4C3F-AE59-18378086B97D.jpeg

17A6C27B-7C2A-4ACD-9970-A20106355008.jpeg

23C92234-5E3A-46C3-B1F4-12C27A1BE974.jpeg

2850BCE8-CBFE-488B-8887-4E6133C586B7.jpeg

C11D7501-26F8-4D74-B466-A786C44F0235.png

95F6EDE1-FB33-4281-BE13-920A47BC6B98.png

9ADA85B6-E528-4F26-BB28-94ED7B1C8376.pngYou have everything needed to convert to FH just remove lift pins and add FH Points 

171C5A2E-9E19-4046-95F2-0AD23BBDC6D6.png

• Thanks 1

Excellent, thank you! I didn't know the FH mounts in the pin holes for the 3PT. That makes things easy. Do I have to trim off the end of the main beam after dropping a bottom or can I leave it stick out?

Mike

I cut beam but saved everything in case someone might want to add it back. The beam doesn’t have to be cut but it’ll stick out. Enlarge this pic and you’ll see what I mean. 

327B8751-3D7D-4198-B562-E104BDC8F070.jpeg

98404D94-227D-4E96-92C1-E89E042C2EB8.png

• Thanks 1

You can leave the main beam "as is" & slide the furrow wheel forward. Thay  way you could put the removed back on later if you needed to.  Ive seen it done both ways

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Farmall Nut said:

I cut beam but saved everything in case someone might want to add it back. The beam doesn’t have to be cut but it’ll stick out. Enlarge this pic and you’ll see what I mean. 

327B8751-3D7D-4198-B562-E104BDC8F070.jpeg

98404D94-227D-4E96-92C1-E89E042C2EB8.png

It looks like the rear wheel assembly should just fit if the beam is left intact. That's good news. Did your steering linkage pipe already have a hole through it or did you have to drill it out? If you drilled it, how did you keep everything aligned? Then again, I wonder if it matters much as the arm that goes to the tail wheel is pretty slopped out on mine.

Mike

1 hour ago, boog said:

You can leave the main beam "as is" & slide the furrow wheel forward. Thay  way you could put the removed back on later if you needed to.  Ive seen it done both ways

Thanks! Say, do you have a larger picture of your avatar? I've wondered for a long time what it says.

Mike

9 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

It looks like the rear wheel assembly should just fit if the beam is left intact. That's good news. Did your steering linkage pipe already have a hole through it or did you have to drill it out? If you drilled it, how did you keep everything aligned? Then again, I wonder if it matters much as the arm that goes to the tail wheel is pretty slopped out on mine.

Mike

No extra hole in pipe. I cut it as well. Initially I tried to slide it in but got tired of fighting the rust inside the outer pipe. 

The left outer frame will need to be removed as well. I’ve got more in this than it’s worth but I’m really happy with it. New tires, hose, and trash boards. It’ll last me forever. 

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Thanks! Say, do you have a larger picture of your avatar? I've wondered for a long time what it says.

Mike

Classic Boog!!!

3E36A0E6-35F3-44D1-8157-D0298B75C1AE.jpeg

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Farmall Nut said:

No extra hole in pipe. I cut it as well. Initially I tried to slide it in but got tired of fighting the rust inside the outer pipe. 

The left outer frame will need to be removed as well. I’ve got more in this than it’s worth but I’m really happy with it. New tires, hose, and trash boards. It’ll last me forever. 

You did a great job with that plow! Just needs decals & it would look factory fresh.

Mike

1 minute ago, Farmall Nut said:

Classic Boog!!!

Now that's talent!

Mike

11 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Excellent, thank you! I didn't know the FH mounts in the pin holes for the 3PT. That makes things easy. Do I have to trim off the end of the main beam after dropping a bottom or can I leave it stick out?

Mike

A true fast hitch bar is different from the three point bar. 

16 hours ago, Farmall Nut said:

95F6EDE1-FB33-4281-BE13-920A47BC6B98.png

I think you have the Category II bar. The FH points would install on the outside with the pins facing out if you have the FH pull bar.

You can tell if you have the FH bar if it's only about 26" to the outside of the pin mounting plates. I have recent experience with this.

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I think you have the Category II bar. The FH points would install on the outside with the pins facing out if you have the FH pull bar.

You can tell if you have the FH bar if it's only about 26" to the outside of the pin mounting plates. I have recent experience with this.

I'm glad you & Maynard pointed that out. Went to measure mine & came up with 31 1/4" outside of the pin mounting plates. Guess I will have to find another bar also.

Mike

11 hours ago, Maynard said:

A true fast hitch bar is different from the three point bar. 

My neighbor has same plow except he uses FH points.  Bar is identical. FH points mount to inside. He has used his both ways. I’ve not looked it up but he says the bar has same part number. 

8 minutes ago, Farmall Nut said:

My neighbor has same plow except he uses FH points.  Bar is identical. FH points mount to inside. He has used his both ways. I’ve not looked it up but he says the bar has same part number. 

There are definitely different pull bars. As I said before the one on my 700 is only 26" to the outside. Dad's old 540 plow is still back across the creek, I'll have to go measure it but I think it is the same.

Unfortunately you can't look up part numbers unless you have a paper book these days. CaseIH said they had returned the NLA part numbers to the books, but I haven't seen it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

There are definitely different pull bars. As I said before the one on my 700 is only 26" to the outside. Dad's old 540 plow is still back across the creek, I'll have to go measure it but I think it is the same.

Unfortunately you can't look up part numbers unless you have a paper book these days. CaseIH said they had returned the NLA part numbers to the books, but I haven't seen it.

I've been using a site called AV Spare. Just type in the make & model followed by the name of the site in a search (google, bing, etc.) & it will take you to what you're looking for. Initially there's a popup & you get redirected to an Amazon page of unrelated stuff. Just close that tab, shoot down the popup & look at what you need. That's what I've been using lately since Case, NH etc. screwed up their parts sites. Speaking of parts, they don't list a separate bar for the FH vs the 3PT setup in the catalog. Not even in the FH adapter packages. The only different ones I found cover the 3PT bar for the 656, 706, 756, 806, 856. The other one fits the 1206/1256. Not sure why that is. It could be that the book they copied from was missing a page or it was revised & that part was no longer covered. I've seen that a lot with my print manuals. 

Mike

On 5/9/2021 at 6:38 PM, Farmall Nut said:

Classic Boog!!!

I posted that years ago after someone on here called me a "crotchety old fart".  Problem is, the older I get the more like the poster I get

• Haha 3
16 minutes ago, boog said:

I posted that years ago after someone on here called me a "crotchety old fart".  Problem is, the older I get the more like the poster I get

Nothing wrong with that. A crotchety old fart can add a certain flavor to a forum that is otherwise lacking in others.

Boy, that doesn't sound right does it?

:v)

I can say that the crotchetiness in the tractor forums I participate in, pales in comparison to some railroaders I've known of or met over the years.  Surprised I didn't have that PTSD as a youngster.

Mike

21 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:
21 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

The only different ones I found cover the 3PT bar for the 656, 706, 756, 806, 856. The other one fits the 1206/1256. Not sure why that is. 

Difference between cat 2 and cat 3  three points?

4 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Difference between cat 2 and cat 3  three points?

The 1206/1256 are CAT 3?? Had no idea that was available back then. Was the FH on those tractors built to different specs as well?

Mike

Well im not sure. Was throwing it out there. I know our allis d21 had cat 3. At least that's how I recall it.

17 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Well im not sure. Was throwing it out there. I know our allis d21 had cat 3. At least that's how I recall it.

Interesting. I'll have to do some research on that.

Mike

56 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

The 1206/1256 are CAT 3?? Had no idea that was available back then. Was the FH on those tractors built to different specs as well?

Yes and yes. The 1206 has what I've heard called "Cat 3 Fast Hitch." It has regular 3pt arms but the ends pull out to reveal fast hitch sockets. I don't know what the dimensions of the fast hitch points are and I've never seen a Cat 3 Fast Hitch implement.

53 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Yes and yes. The 1206 has what I've heard called "Cat 3 Fast Hitch." It has regular 3pt arms but the ends pull out to reveal fast hitch sockets. I don't know what the dimensions of the fast hitch points are and I've never seen a Cat 3 Fast Hitch implement.

That's how my 1206 is set up.  I use bushings on the pull arms for Cat 2 implements.