Has anyone ever stored an engine submerged in oil? I tried to sell a pair of Jeeps with Dauntless V6 one the guy didn't want but gave me my asking price for the other, i am thinking about pulling the engine out and sticking it in a barrel of oil until some future day when I get around to restoring one. When i do i plan to go south and find a better candidate than the one i have. 
if so, did it work? Should i put additives in? Kero? Anything else? 

• Like 1

Cosmoline???

My grandpa bought a Model 1898 .30-40 Krag that was packed in cosmoline. Said it was mess to clean up but it preserved it perfectly. 

Seth, you have thought of a new way to start the oil thread wars up again😁😆😂🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I would think any oil would work making sure there is no moisture in it. 

I second the cosmoline, there is no better and very difficult to clean, which is its drawback and might require disassembly to do properly, the submerging is looking better here, if the oil is moisture and acid free might be the way to go 

• Like 1

there is no GOOD way to preserve a pre assembled take out engine

have tried them all with varied results

cosmoline waaaay toooo $$$$ and will not go where you want it nor will you ever get it out 

individual parts.....> 90%

the military has tried various other $$$$$ 50/50 sceams

from air tight containers to air elixirs

some museums use dehumidifiers and vacuum tents

the full  immersion would work to a point good as the clean oil and no moisture getting in ever

big tank and a lot of $$$$ oil.....then when you need the oil to not be into X

Buddy used to get a good deal on TGH fluid, he had ties to a crane company that would order brand new units and change out all the fluid as soon as they took delivery, he could buy it in 55 gal drums at less than half price

Mineral oil would be a good choice. It is a light oil it will flow into all nooks and crannies and shouldn't hurt any of the components. Also when you take the engine out of the oil most of it will run right out. I have heard that the Navy used it a lot for justice sort of purpose.

And if you're feeling a little bound up you can always take a nip of it! LOL

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, mmi said:

cosmoline waaaay toooo $$$$ and will not go where you want it nor will you ever get it out 

Ya, um, it was meant as a joke.😉

Guess I won't be asked on Jeff and Larry's comedy tour any time soon.☹️

Better get back to fencing. 

Got plenty left to do if anyone wants to get some fresh air and exercise. 

Just shoot me a text at BR549, I'll be waitin'😂

IMG_20210509_140850376_HDR.thumb.jpg.fe95b28868c6d0a4d86aa57e3123e128.jpg

And Seth, good luck with her oil thread, some crackerjack ideas up there already 👆🤟👍🦆🤠

• Like 2
5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Cosmoline???

My grandpa bought a Model 1898 .30-40 Krag that was packed in cosmoline. Said it was mess to clean up but it preserved it perfectly. 

Seth, you have thought of a new way to start the oil thread wars up again😁😆😂🤣

...I was hoping for another "vintage" rifle thread...:(

Cosmoline was the 'go to ' product for packageing  firearms..

Mike

(G'day Jeff...just finished five days on the Cattle muster and calf weaning, up at the Station..good fun..)

• Like 3

Just my thoughts on long time storing an engine - along with rust/corrosion I’d be concerned with some of the valve springs being compressed; I think pulling the heads to get the pressure off the valve train of all the cylinders. Further thought makes me want to pull the retainers off all the valves to relax the springs.

Probably not going to happen.....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...I was hoping for another "vintage" rifle thread...:(

Cosmoline was the 'go to ' product for packageing  firearms..

Mike

(G'day Jeff...just finished five days on the Cattle muster and calf weaning, up at the Station..good fun..)

Still using the Whirlybirds to muster? Would be fun to watch. Will have to replay the videos you sent me.

Wish I had a pic of the old 98, pretty sure my cousin Pat has it now. 

When at grandpa's, us little kids usually shot one of the .22s he had.

On special occasions he would bring out the .30-40 Krag.

We would shoot from a rest in the shop to a big culvert under the county road 3 or 400 yds out.

BOOM........................ting.

Great fun.

Now, resuming with our regularly scheduled oil thread back to you Seth.😃

• Like 1

I would just use some cylinder fogger and plug all the openings with oily rags and keep in dry spot in the garage 

If its a "well" use engine it would need to be freshened up to be of use anyway those Buicks wear the oil pumps out early,

• Like 1

I have stored a 7.3 idi diesel for 20 years so far.

I filled the engine completely with oil.

I backed off the the rockers to seal the cylinders, then took out the glows, filled the cylinders as well.

Plugged up any places where the oil wanted to run out.

I don't have a need for it yet, so I can't tell you if my scheme was successful or not.

• Like 2

I’ve read and been told to fill crankcase full of oil. Remove plugs, fill with oil and replace. I like the loosening of the rockers as supermechanic said. I’d even fill the intake and valve covers. Any oil inside will have some moisture in it so you’ll want to get as much as possible out. When your ready, drain everything and start it up. It will definitely be a smoker for awhile. Mike

44 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

Is that a reference to the band, heehaw, or the engine. 

LOL, probably HeeHaw although I do have a 549 sitting in a 1950 220 twin screw,..............😉😃

• Like 1
2 hours ago, supermechanic said:

I have stored a 7.3 idi diesel for 20 years so far.

I filled the engine completely with oil.

I backed off the the rockers to seal the cylinders, then took out the glows, filled the cylinders as well.

Plugged up any places where the oil wanted to run out.

I don't have a need for it yet, so I can't tell you if my scheme was successful or not.

If it doesn't work as planned, I have another one sitting here ready for you.  Just needs shipping.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Ya, um, it was meant as a joke.😉

Guess I won't be asked on Jeff and Larry's comedy tour any time soon.☹️

Better get back to fencing. 

Got plenty left to do if anyone wants to get some fresh air and exercise. 

Just shoot me a text at BR549, I'll be waitin'😂

IMG_20210509_140850376_HDR.thumb.jpg.fe95b28868c6d0a4d86aa57e3123e128.jpg

And Seth, good luck with her oil thread, some crackerjack ideas up there already 👆🤟👍🦆🤠

Is your kittycat watching/helping you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Is your kittycat watching/helping you?

Saw tracks but not kitty, didn't even have that "hair on the back of your neck stand up" so all is good. 

Leary of putting cattle down on there but maybe when I do she will move on out to a quieter place. Hope so. 

• Like 2

I’ve been reading through this. Thinking about engines and oil passages and what not, and oil, and I was trying to decide what I would do. Then I had this thought:  Look at all of the stories we see (right here on RPF, as well as in TV or YouTube) where a guy pulls a old tractor out of the barn, or out of the tree line, or the car/truck/dozer etc out of the weeds -where it has been Sitting Abandoned and forgotten for 10-20-30 years....and with only a few days work (or 10 minutes on YouTube) and the engine in said abandoned tractor/plane/train/automobile is Up and Running.  

With no special pickling procedure at all.

I know when I was in high school in the ‘90s I needed an exhaust manifold for my 351, and I had access to one that had been sitting in a “shed” (chicken coop shack) with a very wet  dirt floor....motor in the dirt...but it was free, so I rolled it out of the dirt and removed the manifold. Then the nice valve covers, and the oil pan even. There was no rust inside  of that engine. I know it had been in dirt for all of ten years. I bet that shed had an inch or two of water in it a few times as well.  Engine had an air cleaner on it, but no filter and the inlet was open. As were the manifolds. Ended up having my stock manifold machined true. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I’ve been reading through this. Thinking about engines and oil passages and what not, and oil, and I was trying to decide what I would do. Then I had this thought:  Look at all of the stories we see (right here on RPF, as well as in TV or YouTube) where a guy pulls a old tractor out of the barn, or out of the tree line, or the car/truck/dozer etc out of the weeds -where it has been Sitting Abandoned and forgotten for 10-20-30 years....and with only a few days work (or 10 minutes on YouTube) and the engine in said abandoned tractor/plane/train/automobile is Up and Running.  

With no special pickling procedure at all.

I know when I was in high school in the ‘90s I needed an exhaust manifold for my 351, and I had access to one that had been sitting in a “shed” (chicken coop shack) with a very wet  dirt floor....motor in the dirt...but it was free, so I rolled it out of the dirt and removed the manifold. Then the nice valve covers, and the oil pan even. There was no rust inside  of that engine. I know it had been in dirt for all of ten years. I bet that shed had an inch or two of water in it a few times as well.  Engine had an air cleaner on it, but no filter and the inlet was open. As were the manifolds. Ended up having my stock manifold machined true. 

Some guys have all the luck....

• Haha 1