Tips for working on a Farmall H

Doubt your grandpa would let it sit in cold weather with just water in it, but you never know.  If liquid is visible in the radiator and it's any color other than clear, buy or borrow an antifreeze testor and see what it is good to for freezing point. 

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

No use in speculating until you know for sure.  Loosen the plugs Slowly, and stare at them while don’t it. Water will seep past the threads and drip out first, if it’s there. 

To be clear, water in the oil can also come from moisture condensing in the engine over the years.   So clear water beading out of the plugs may be just that, not a sign of a cracked block or head.    Antifreeze in the oil is.   

• Like 1

My second cousin started working on it a couple of years ago and went through it, he replaced the magneto and swapped it to a 12 volt charging system so I'm hoping he checked those things but I will check it out this weekend when I'm not doing school

1 hour ago, Derek01 said:

My second cousin started working on it a couple of years ago and went through it, he replaced the magneto and swapped it to a 12 volt charging system so I'm hoping he checked those things but I will check it out this weekend when I'm not doing school

Nice tractor. I have my Grandpa's 1948 H that he bought new. Done a bunch of things on it and use it lightly on the farm. 

Since I see you're from Michigan. I am too. What part of the state are you from? I'm from Albion. If you need any help, me along with a lot of members on here have the knowledge to steer you in the right direction. Let us know 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Derek01 said:

If the does have water/antifreeze in it how do I go about checking if the block is cracked 

If its green its probably antifreeze. That makes the chance of a cracked block a whole lot smaller

The block can crack just as easy as the head , I know first hand been there done that , Usually the block cracks behind a sleeve

That's the worst case scenario , don't mean to scare you but it did indeed happen to me when I got a super M from a neighbor , I ended up getting another block and rebuliding a new motor

Derek, we are all just brain storming here.  It’s an old tractor. Anything could happen,but  it could very well be just fine.  We probably should not even have mentioned the cracked block thing, but we all just wanted to make sure you were checking your oil before you attempt to start it. Because if the oil is full of water or antifreeze and you fire it up....that will wreck $tuff. 

I am assuming you have already talked to everybody in your family that might know something about the machine. Like why was it parked? And the last time it was running, did it run good? Or did your cousin abandon it for a reason? 

• Like 2

Yeah--anytime you ask a bunch a grumpy old mechanics about "what might be wrong with X".....you are gonna get a whole flood of "the worst things I've seen".    It is entirely likely that your tractor is basically fine and just needs some TLC to get it started and running again.  The point is you know what the typical signs of problems are....just in case.

Not sure who your calling grumpy old guys but they have seen more odd things happen than greenhorns have and have been around the block a few times more , Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good and make your own judgement call concerning all the types of problems that can arise 

I'll go through it this weekend and I'll see what I find, my grandpa took pretty good care of it from what I've heard it has been sitting outside since his barn collapsed about 20 years ago so I don't really know what to expect from it

On 5/12/2021 at 8:02 AM, ksfarmdude said:

Not sure who your calling grumpy old guys but they have seen more odd things happen than greenhorns have and have been around the block a few times more , Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good and make your own judgement call concerning all the types of problems that can arise 

Settle down G.O.G. ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Settle down G.O.G. ?

Ha  Ok

• Haha 3

Ask your questions son?

It's nice to help an adopted Grandson who is working on an IH.

We will give this a team effort and get this Ol Girl running.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1