Colonial pipeline shut down, ransomed

On 5/13/2021 at 12:11 AM, searcyfarms said:

they got it back going i heard or are close to it - also some of my family is being laid off due to semiconductor shortages, guess teh price of cars/computers/phones will be going up, they are stopping production at FOMOCO and sending people home due to the shortages and being unable to make vehicles. 

Talking about automotive semiconductors, not so long ago this wouldn't have been an issue.  The GM division in my hometown was at one time the largest producer of automotive IC's in the world.  They even grew their own silicon there.  Early to mid 90's mother motors made the "strategic decision" that chips were now a commodity and exited the business.  Sad, truly sad.

• Like 1
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This proves my point. If we went to war tomorrow, would we have the ability to manufacture products for war? We need manufacturing done in this country for our own protection.  

Truth!!!!!!

BBC reported they are likely in Russia or a former USSR country because they attack companies all over the globe except those operating in Russia or those former ussr countries. I think we had ga

Posted Images

i agree foolish to pay ransomes - we should keep viable backups - restore and turn everything back on - survivors will be people that can function w/out power if it goes there - doubtful it will, too many dependencies 

Something about this whole situation smells fishy to me. Let's analyze a few things.

As mentioned, we ran pipelines for 100 years without computer control. Due to the nature of what they handle, they still retain multiple redundant controls that can be manually managed.... so none of these precautions worked? Haven't multiple alphabet agencies been drilling and preparing, spending billions of dollars for the last 25 yrs to react to this and similar situations?

Pipeline goes down, and the next day we start seeing shortages and price hikes.... Guess I haven't researched it, to my understanding pipelines don't end at the gas station, but at distribution stations, and every one of those I've ever seen has quite massive holding tanks. So all those tanks were/are empty? Just a few months ago I was reading about the huge stockpiles of petro products due to the drop in demand over covid.

These pipelines don't run 24/7/365. They are shut down for days at a time for maintenance and always run with the possibility of a failure in mind. This doesn't seem to affect the supply chain at any other time.

Within hours of the so called cyber attack, it was plastered across the media. And most reporting hit 2-3 talking points without fail. 3 days later we have 17 states declaring emergencies. So... the entire eastern seaboard was affected in the same way? Not one state/region or another a little better off?

....smells fishy.... no, actually smells quite a bit like BS. I hate to be a tinfoil hat theorist, but it's way to easy to shoot this whole thing full of holes... even without considering political dimensions.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Something about this whole situation smells fishy to me. Let's analyze a few things.

As mentioned, we ran pipelines for 100 years without computer control. Due to the nature of what they handle, they still retain multiple redundant controls that can be manually managed.... so none of these precautions worked? Haven't multiple alphabet agencies been drilling and preparing, spending billions of dollars for the last 25 yrs to react to this and similar situations?

Pipeline goes down, and the next day we start seeing shortages and price hikes.... Guess I haven't researched it, to my understanding pipelines don't end at the gas station, but at distribution stations, and every one of those I've ever seen has quite massive holding tanks. So all those tanks were/are empty? Just a few months ago I was reading about the huge stockpiles of petro products due to the drop in demand over covid.

These pipelines don't run 24/7/365. They are shut down for days at a time for maintenance and always run with the possibility of a failure in mind. This doesn't seem to affect the supply chain at any other time.

Within hours of the so called cyber attack, it was plastered across the media. And most reporting hit 2-3 talking points without fail. 3 days later we have 17 states declaring emergencies. So... the entire eastern seaboard was affected in the same way? Not one state/region or another a little better off?

....smells fishy.... no, actually smells quite a bit like BS. I hate to be a tinfoil hat theorist, but it's way to easy to shoot this whole thing full of holes... even without considering political dimensions.

+1....................You can do that with most of the BS put out in the media, common sense approach to it and it makes no sense.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

+1....................You can do that with most of the BS put out in the media, common sense approach to it and it makes no sense.

DRINK !!! the kooola aid and shut up you are just a tin hat.

lest we need a $10 mil smear campaign of you.

3 hours ago, Rick G. said:

What I would like to know is how it was paid?

Still just a rumor at this point ..........................................................🧐😁

1924689275_motorcycleducks.jpg.5c0a5865a3c8ad3e0c0800f1a029b24d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
56 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Still just a rumor at this point ..........................................................🧐😁

1924689275_motorcycleducks.jpg.5c0a5865a3c8ad3e0c0800f1a029b24d.jpg

Are you saying they paid a ransom with their Aflac policy???   😀

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, Cattech said:

I was thinking the same thing. 

June 7th of 2000 the main gasoline pipeline through Southern Michigan had a major leak in Jackson Mi. Spilled 75,000 gallons of gasoline. Weld failed. Obviously the line was shutdown for 6 days while repairs were being made. I realize that I was young at the time ( turned 16 on the 20th of June that year) but I don't remember gas stations running out of gas or a run on it. The tank farms carried until the pipeline was operational again. 

It's that or we are not sitting on the supplies that they claim we are.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, mmi said:

DRINK !!! the kooola aid and shut up you are just a tin hat.

lest we need a $!10 mil spear campaign of you.

My tin foil hat is so big Big Muskie's star link satellites have to fly around it, BUT, I have learned in my old age, that the truth is stranger than any fiction it seems these days.  

• Like 3

I believe greed is gaining confidence and the reaction to Covid proves the theory that the fear they twist in any situation will most assuredly lead to panic buying, which, if prepared for, can lead to some big profits.

the phones in our hands ensure a quick response to any “news or info”.

and usually the quickest response goes hand in hand with over reaction instead of a common sense approach.

not everything deserves a reaction or response 

• Like 2

I know one thing, I stirred quite a poopstorm on a local news site by making a comment that the "same individuals screaming people are/were selfish for not following CDC guidance to a "T" were probably the selfish idiots filling up with 50 gallons of gas in the back of their car"  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I know one thing, I stirred quite a poopstorm on a local news site by making a comment that the "same individuals screaming people are/were selfish for not following CDC guidance to a "T" were probably the selfish idiots filling up with 50 gallons of gas in the back of their car"  

And the same idiots that cheered when Biden shutdown the Keystone XL.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Cattech said:

Panic buying! You're right on target. As soon as the media gets hold of the story everyone, and I'd probably do the same, runs out and fills their tank while the getting is good. If no one ever knew the line was off the storage tanks would take care of the normal demand until the ransom was paid and the line back on. Figure the average vehicle is running around with a half tank - that's a boatload of fuel! Now double it, and it drains the system.

10 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

I believe greed is gaining confidence and the reaction to Covid proves the theory that the fear they twist in any situation will most assuredly lead to panic buying, which, if prepared for, can lead to some big profits.

the phones in our hands ensure a quick response to any “news or info”.

and usually the quickest response goes hand in hand with over reaction instead of a common sense approach.

not everything deserves a reaction or response 

'Zactly! But the common reaction to any hint there's going to be a shortage is to stock up. The totally phony TP shortage, the ammo shortage, etc. We all can fall for it. It shows the tremendous power of social media to spread misinformation and the media in general.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, New Englander said:

'Zactly! But the common reaction to any hint there's going to be a shortage is to stock up. The totally phony TP shortage, the ammo shortage, etc. We all can fall for it. It shows the tremendous power of social media to spread misinformation and the media in general.

My grandpa said something in passing the other day( heck could’ve been several years ago too) that really made me stop and think.

“it took us several hours to find out Pearl Harbor got attacked.“

he mentioned that people have their phones in hand and are instantly satisfied with whatever they “need to know”. I know I’m guilty of it!

I’m sure there’s a lot that goes into it but I think that he is onto something.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Cattech said:

The makings of a conspiracy theory is derived from thinking outside the media approved dialogue.

So the question becomes when does it go from being a conspiracy theory to factually accurate information? When do the tinfoil hat wearers become the phd’s of tomorrow’s media blitz? When does the improbable become the possible? 

5 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

My grandpa said something in passing the other day( heck could’ve been several years ago too) that really made me stop and think.

“it took us several hours to find out Pearl Harbor got attacked.“

he mentioned that people have their phones in hand and are instantly satisfied with whatever they “need to know”. I know I’m guilty of it!

I’m sure there’s a lot that goes into it but I think that he is onto something.

I remember stopping at a restaurant with a friend after we delivered a load of hay. As we are sitting at a table waiting for our food to arrive I’m looking out the windows and noticed flames in a car outside! I told my buddy that car is on fire, do you see it? I was so convinced the car was on fire I got up from my chair and was going to tell someone about it, but as I stood up the flames disappeared. Only then did I realize the fire I saw was a reflection on the glass of the windows of the fireplace that was behind me.

Today’s media is the same way. Jumping up and yelling fire before the facts are all in. Creating a situation from nothing that blows up into a world wide pandemic simply because of an agenda, a hatred, or a disrespect for us, the audience, the viewers who just as quickly act based upon the event as its first reported.

Facts are fabricated and lost by a good news story. Or in today’s world the facts are disregarded by the agenda driven crowd as irrelevant and insensitive and no longer pertinent to the story at hand 

• Like 1

You have to remember it was their whole accounting system held up. That's hundreds of millions so it's not just control of the line but the business end as well.

Since the horse is long gone they'll lock the door tight but the danger is what if it was a gas line? That would shut the electricity off and be more than an inconvenience. Such a move would likely be that of Iran or some other hostile entity, not criminals making money.

A wake up call for sure.

• Like 2

Definitely a wake up call for those paying attention. Question is what lessons should be getting learned.

To reinforce the skepticism in above previous post, I call BS on the notion there is an actual shortage. The pipeline of topic is big, but still only carries about 20% of the fuel used in the eastern US. The other 80% of supply is still there. Colonial isn't the only company in the petro supply business either. Unless all the companies have been hacked, accounting doesn't explain this situation either.

Imagine you dam up a valley that has say, 5 rivers running into it. The resulting reservoir is nearly full to the top of the dam. One of those 5 rivers dries up.... does your reservoir go dry in 48 hours? Even if it does and the generators at the dam stop, the neighboring coal plant cranks up the output and overcomes the shortage. 

No matter how I look at it, the logistics just don't support the story. I'm convinced someone is manipulating this for some sort of gain. The Who and Why is the aforementioned lesson I want to learn.

• Like 2

Several years ago, on behalf of our car club, I invited a rep. for the company that handles most if not all of the petroleum fuel used in the St. Louis area, to talk to us about fuel in general at one of our meetings.   They own and operate the huge fuel tanks in the area.  

He told us they usually keep about two weeks worth of fuel on hand, but within the last few years, due to barge and or pipeline issues (I don't remember which) the inventory got down to about 2 days worth.  He said they didn't let that cat out of the bag since they knew people would panic.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Cattech said:

Definitely a wake up call for those paying attention. Question is what lessons should be getting learned.

To reinforce the skepticism in above previous post, I call BS on the notion there is an actual shortage. The pipeline of topic is big, but still only carries about 20% of the fuel used in the eastern US. The other 80% of supply is still there. Colonial isn't the only company in the petro supply business either. Unless all the companies have been hacked, accounting doesn't explain this situation either.

Imagine you dam up a valley that has say, 5 rivers running into it. The resulting reservoir is nearly full to the top of the dam. One of those 5 rivers dries up.... does your reservoir go dry in 48 hours? Even if it does and the generators at the dam stop, the neighboring coal plant cranks up the output and overcomes the shortage. 

No matter how I look at it, the logistics just don't support the story. I'm convinced someone is manipulating this for some sort of gain. The Who and Why is the aforementioned lesson I want to learn.

All the media stories said this pipeline carried 50% of the gas for the east which seemed to equate to about 50% of the stations being out of gas. Where did you hear the 20% number?

• Like 1

isnt the media GREAT...

Russia,Russia,Russia.is the culprit  !!

putins pipeline to euro had been blocked and sanctioned for 15 yrs is now green lit since USA will be fossil free in 10yrs.

expect $ to $6 g as industry pivots to new incomes steams and interruptions "outages" grow

• 3 weeks later...