Colonial pipeline shut down, ransomed

acem

On 5/9/2021 at 7:41 PM, mikem said:

Practice run for doin the electric grid next winter................

(Might want to pick up some extra long-johns)

Mike

Bejing Biden gave China acces to the US electrical grid, just stating a fact.

1 hour ago, twostepn2001 said:

Jut as a side note, here at Dyess AFB just outside Abilene, Texas Marathon Oil has two pipelines that cross the base. Twice a week, but never at the same time a Cessna 172 pipeline patrol plane will fly across the base checking the pipelines. For 15 minutes before and after, the Air Force shuts down all flight activity while pipeline patrol flies over.

Friend of mine, Bill, flew pipeline patrol for years. Went with him once, interesting ride, his line went through Philadelphia International Airport; we circled in a previously designated area, Bill called the tower and got permission to fly the pipeline at about 50’ altitude across the main runway. Most of the time we were 100’-200’ above the ground except in the mountains North of Pittsburgh where we were at 500’. 

Not all communication was done by radio, he spotted some excavating equipment near the line in the vicinity of a pumping station. There was an operator at the station but did not have a radio, Bill buzzed the station to get his attention and the guy comes out to the parking lot. Bill writes a note on a piece of paper, crumples it up, flies over the guy nice and slow and tosses the note out the window. 
The guy on the ground didn’t have to take more than 2 steps to catch it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/9/2021 at 1:44 PM, AKwelder said:

Our IT department at work has said they are subjected to 10’s of thousands and attacks a month.

We get constant training on how to detect phishing and then we still get company generated (phony) phishing emails to see if we'll fall for them. Those are the most effective training as many of us have fallen for them. Falling for a phony phishing email gets you sent back to class so you get good at spotting phishing. Always look closely at the URL and even then the URL can be disguised. Phishing, I believe, is still the most common way for hackers to get into your system.

https://www.securityforrealpeople.com/2013/07/disguised-links.html

2 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

Friend of mine, Bill, flew pipeline patrol for years.

One of the guys I took flying lessons with went on and got his commercial and instructors ratings. Then he went to work for Airways Service in Sioux City, and they had a pipeline contract. He used to take me along to fly, while he would take notes....Cessna 150 with patrol tanks can last a LOT longer than a guy with a thermos of coffee.  :o (150 with oversized wheels can park almost anywhere);)

Sioux City to Kansas city one Sat. Skip one, then Sioux City to St Paul the next Saturday.

Got a lot of seat time and instruction time...

Good old Days....?

Mike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

Always look closely at the URL and even then the URL can be disguised. Phishing, I believe, is still the most common way for hackers to get into your system.

I have used a program called Mailwasher.  This looks at your mailbox before you download anything.  Lets you designate url's as undesirable, even lets you bounce incoming.

It shows you where the email originated and there can be vast differences between that and where it was supposed to have originated

I don't get a "spotter's fee" for this mention

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikem said:

pipeline contract

One of the great ways to build time for that magic 1500 hours! Did ferry work, always kept a wide mouthed bottle handy?.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, acem said:

It's still shut down according to the radio news just now. Thx-Ace 

Read that they didn't think it would be pumping again til the end of the week.

5 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Told you it would be blamed on the russians!

Just the start of things to come when you send a message to the whole planet that the leader of the free world is totally incompetent .

• Like 4

If we know who is behind it,  why are they still alive? No matter where they are located,  there should be a smoking hole in the ground to mark their last location.  What do our people in cyber security actually do if they don't have a way to find these scum and eliminate them physically?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Frank H said:

If we know who is behind it,  why are they still alive? No matter where they are located,  there should be a smoking hole in the ground to mark their last location.  What do our people in cyber security actually do if they don't have a way to find these scum and eliminate them physically?

I dont mean to be a jerk here, but with the current establishment in place who have already said that they want us to be at carbon zero emissions by what 2030 do we really have to ask that? They have gm promising to build no new petroleum powered vehicles after 2025? Or is it 2030? This plays right into their hands and probably will become the new narrative. Look how dangerous these pipelines and fossil fuels are. Better go all electric.  Even tho anybody with any critical thinking ability knows there are some huge potential problems with that scenario. 

If I were a suspicious person I might even wonder if it wasn't enabled or even perpetrated by those folks.

• Like 4

On 5/10/2021 at 7:47 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

Perhaps the FBI could be of some use and catch these pricks.

Is this to much to ask?

I'm sure there covering the tracks as we speak, Don't trust them

• Like 3

Hey NE, my new conspiracy theory for you today on 5/12/21...........................Attack was paid for from within, think "Russia Gate" over the last 4 years.................How do we get rid of petroluem vehicles with cheap fuel prices???????    Hmmm..................What a better way to do it than cause fuel cost spikes, Hurricane season will keep it going all summer.  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Hey NE, my new conspiracy theory for you today on 5/12/21...........................Attack was paid for from within, think "Russia Gate" over the last 4 years.................How do we get rid of petroluem vehicles with cheap fuel prices???????    Hmmm..................What a better way to do it than cause fuel cost spikes, Hurricane season will keep it going all summer.  

So you're the guy starting the theories!

Actually, look in today's WSJ for an excellent article on who is doing it, who is paying, and just how lucrative it is. 2500 reported to the FBI last year and God knows how many unreported. Interestingly even those with everything backed up may pay it to avoid internal communications being released that may effect stock prices or other valuable information such as mergers, acquisitions, etc.

I doubt the Biden administration, up to their butts in alligators - inflation, border crises, would be stupid enough to add to it with an intentional pipeline shutdown. The good side of this is it may and should cost them the House at mid-terms.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I doubt the Biden administration, up to their butts in alligators - inflation, border crises, would be stupid enough to add to it with an intentional pipeline shutdown. 

It would not supprise me at all...............He screws up enough they declare him insane and throw him out, that is the whole plan isn't it?  Queen Bee is waiting, probably why she is keeping a low key.

3 hours ago, Frank H said:

This is also what I’d like to know! There must be a way to track down these pieces of maggot sh_t. 

Another thing is I think we’ve become too reliant on all this computerized crap. In everything. Why do you need to use vulnerable computers to pump oil / fuel through a pipeline? How did they run the pipelines in the 60’s or 70’s? Somehow they did it. This computer crap will be the death of us all. Wait until these pieces of maggot sh_t start screwing with our computerized power grids

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

It would not supprise me at all...............He screws up enough they declare him insane and throw him out, that is the whole plan isn't it?  Queen Bee is waiting, probably why she is keeping a low key.

Good theory but it's hard to equate incompetence with insanity.

Biden shut down Keystone on his first day, as promised. Hopefully this debacle that a shut down pipeline causes will stay in the rather short term memory of the electorate and some buyers remorse will remain on the next election day.

2 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

This is also what I’d like to know! There must be a way to track down these pieces of maggot sh_t. 

Another thing is I think we’ve become too reliant on all this computerized crap. In everything. Why do you need to use vulnerable computers to pump oil / fuel through a pipeline? How did they run the pipelines in the 60’s or 70’s? Somehow they did it. This computer crap will be the death of us all. Wait until these pieces of maggot sh_t start screwing with our computerized power grids

Imo there is a reason the one world movement wants us all to have "smart" appliances garage door openers ect ect.  And it's probably not a reason you or I would like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Rick G. said:

they used to run them with employees and analog equipment. Still automated but analog and comms were by radio, phone, and even microwave.  

Biggest thing here is they do not want to risk damage to the line or a spill, and if they are batching thru the line the have a huge amount of someone else’s product in the line, pushing with pumps against closed valves can over pressure a line and then they would not have a usable pipeline.

on top of all this, no one in the oil industry wants a spill, in today’s world you become a huge social media target

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

they used to run them with employees and analog equipment. Still automated but analog and comms were by radio, phone, and even microwave.  

Biggest thing here is they do not want to risk damage to the line or a spill, and if they are batching thru the line the have a huge amount of someone else’s product in the line, pushing with pumps against closed valves can over pressure a line and then they would not have a usable pipeline.

on top of all this, no one in the oil industry wants a spill, in today’s world you become a huge social media target

It's probably more efficient and certainly cheaper to run online. Sadly apparently no one foresaw the bad actors waiting in the wings to capitalize  on the vulnerability.

Hospital my daughter works at had a Ransomware attack back in the last part of January. IT department figures it was an employee checking personal emails at work that let the attack in. They went from allowing people to let people look at emails and such in slow times to that being taboo. Got a sis in law who has purchased several new computers for the same reason. For some odd reason she is compelled to open every email she gets. Ask her. She says "well it might be something important". Actaully phrase starts out "I know it's my fault but.....". You run a daycare! What's so important from someone you don't know???

Rick

5 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

someone you don't know

Unfortunately email can be hacked so that you get what appears to be an email from a friend but it's not. Applying a little common sense there is helpful. Is the grammar what you would expect from that person or perhaps that of a person with English as a second language? Do you expect to hear from that person and would they include any attachment? Don't open ANY attachment you're not expecting, it's just not that important.

I still get emails from two people that I know are hacked, in fact, I know one is deceased!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 7:47 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

Perhaps the FBI could be of some use and catch these pricks.

Is this to much to ask?

Even if they catch "these pricks," that doesn't solve the problem. There is an inexhaustible supply of "next pricks" out there, and they're not discouraged.