The original invoice on Dad's tractor was $5,525.  The dealer traded the fenders in on the cab. Dad's brother was a mechanic at the dealership.  He did the work in the evening for nothing.  Dad and his brother transferred the lights off the fenders onto the cab, removed the fenders.  Installed a used second valve and dual stage air filter.  Installed the cab and a used set of M&W duals they had on the back lot. It was cheap horsepower.  Dad hung a couple JD 2 cylinder flywheels on the front for weight.  He had only been farming a few years and money was tight. You did what you had to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Exactly. My dad worked with junk. Bought junk/wrecked/neglected....and fixed it until it was dependable.

Having $5500 tractor that was New. Whoa...that’s a different league....I never new anybody with a new tractor growing up. 

Those tractors really held their value too.  Dad got $6,500 out of that tractor in our bankruptcy auction in 1995.  I purchased my 856 in 1998 for $6,000. It has factory cab, 8 bolt fronts and wedgelock 18.4-38.

2 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Exactly. My dad worked with junk. Bought junk/wrecked/neglected....and fixed it until it was dependable.

Having $5500 tractor that was New. Whoa...that’s a different league....I never new anybody with a new tractor growing up. 

That sounds like what I try to do. Sometimes works out better than others!

The prices of the 06 and 56 series tractors have really shot up as the baby boomers are purchasing them.  I was fortunate to purchase the 856  for $ 6,000. and the 1206 for $7,000. I would never touch them for that money these days!  To add a 1256, 1456 and 1026 to the collection is gonna be expensive!