hello there, i ran across an 856 diesel, has 34 inch wheels that are the clamp style , also front end is a 6 bolt hub, the one we have does have the 8 bolt hubs and 38 inch wedge wheels, is the 6 bolt hub common? and what about the 34 inch wheels? thought the seial number started with a 27000 but looked on tractor data their serial numbers are 4 digit

856's started w/ 7501 serial number.  An 856 can go many ways, 6 bolt front hubs & 34" rear hubs are as common to them as 8 bolt hubs and 38" rear hubs.  Add in the combination of either wedgelock or clamp-type rear hubs, and the options grow that much more.  I recently purchased an 856 with 8 bolt front hubs, but 34" wedgelock rear hubs.

10 hours ago, pt756 said:

so with the 34 inch centers can you put step up rims on to go to 38 inch wheels or better to find 38 inch centers?

Or, new rims and 23.1X34's?

2 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

I think 23.1-34 tires are getting hard to find, and if you do find them, they're expensive.  I'd like to locate a set of those rims & tires myself, someday.

Just now, Nebraska1206 said:

I think 23.1-34 tires are getting hard to find, and if you do find them, they're expensive.  I'd like to locate a set of those rims & tires myself, someday.

I would guess you are correct about that. An 856 would look great set up like that! So would a 7 for that matter, from a financial aspect glad my 756 has 38's on it.

well called the guy, they want 8500 for it, of course good motor and t.a., rear tires are mismatched but decent tread, no lites in fenders, 3 point kind of worn, bad seat, goofy 2nd remote added on, i can easily see 30 to 35hundred stuck in it, was thinking about 6 k the way it sits, guess its been sitting there awhile i was told,

On 5/10/2021 at 7:31 AM, DT Fan said:

The OEM rims had big blocky mallable iron mounting blocks riveted inside the rims with 4 rivets that bolted to the cast center.

I suspect the very first thing Titan Wheel did when they bought EWC was SCRAP that Hydro-Pierce machine that punched the rivet holes in the rims so they couldn't make any more of those rims.

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The OEM rims had big blocky mallable iron mounting blocks riveted inside the rims with 4 rivets that bolted to the cast center.

I suspect the very first thing Titan Wheel did when they bought EWC was SCRAP that Hydro-Pierce machine that punched the rivet holes in the rims so they couldn't make any more of those rims.

Thanks. Should have known it wasn't a simple thing!

The 34" clamp style rears and 6 bolt front hubs were standard equipment on the 856 Custom.   They were also a popular choice for budget minded tractor buyers.  

A lot of guys ordered a custom that intended to put a cab on the tractor. Dad did that.   He added a second hydraulic remote, dual stage air cleaner,  year a round cab,  M&W duals and put it in the field. Cheap horsepower!

41 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Was 20.8-anything even available in the early 1970's?

20.8-34's were a factory option on a 4320 Deere, 20.8-38's were a factory option on the 1456

On 5/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The 34" clamp style rears and 6 bolt front hubs were standard equipment on the 856 Custom.   They were also a popular choice for budget minded tractor buyers.  

A lot of guys ordered a custom that intended to put a cab on the tractor. Dad did that.   He added a second hydraulic remote, dual stage air cleaner,  year a round cab,  M&W duals and put it in the field. Cheap horsepower!

Question though, how much cheaper was it though after the add ons other then the year around cab and duals? Would he really save anything by having factory dual stage air cleaner and dual remotes.Just curious. 

11 hours ago, Jacka said:

Question though, how much cheaper was it though after the add ons other then the year around cab and duals? Would he really save anything by having factory dual stage air cleaner and dual remotes.Just curious. 

You got those parts of an 806 etc in the local tractor boneyard.   

On 5/11/2021 at 8:34 AM, DT Fan said:

Thanks. Should have known it wasn't a simple thing!

FARMALL wasn't big on letting people visit suppliers,  so I never got to Electric Wheel, but from the way it was described to me this hydro-pierce machine punched all four holes for a clamp at one time, then it would index the rim so far and punch four more holes.  With today's CNC machining technology and cutting tool technology, a CNC boring mill could clamp a rim on a rotary table, punch 4 holes in the rim and just a few seconds, then index the rim to where the next clamp should be and repeat. Would take longer to set rim onto rotary table than to drill the 4 holes.  

The challenges would be finding the correct rim,  and I think the mallable iron clamp casting was the same for all four wheels like that, the 20x30 for 23.1x30, popular on 2+2's, 20 x 34 for 23.1x34, 21x32 for 24.5x32, and 27x32 for 30.5x32.

I wrote up a cost savings proposal in 1981 to convert all 4 wheels to steel disk wheels (dual wheels) with hubs that would have saved IH over $100,000 per year.  Seems like a lot of money but in IH systems the paperwork to implement the change would have cost 2-3 times that to process.

I had an inventory sheet from my tire & rim automated warehouse that had ALL rim & tire part numbers and description.  I'm pretty sure 20.8x34 was a valid size tire at FARMALL, and an 18x34 double bevel rim,  but all the attachment codes using those sizes were obsoleted, and no inventory was on hand.

• Like 1

Worked on and around a lot of 'pierce units' at Maytag what seems like forever ago. Would hate to think how much they cost and basically no value for anything else. If you are mass-producing parts, they get it done in a hurry.