Was in some of those very spots a few years ago on family vac. Very neat area also.

• Like 1

Fly into Minneapolis and do the mall of America(wife stuff) then drive to Rushmore and west from there. Other highlights are, Nashville is cool.The UP of Michigan has lots of natural scenery. But there’s a ton of cool things to see here.

You will need to decide what kind of vacation you want to have.... What kind of weather, what kind of scenery, what kind of people and how many people per square mile.... how much do you want to spend?

If you haven't been here, the first thing you will be amazed by is how BIG the US is. Next will be how diverse in geography, culture, economy, weather.

I've been to 30 of the 50 states and can recommend all sorts of things to do and see, but in my 44 years I have only seen a small fraction of what this country has to offer.

You're coming for 3 weeks, so just plan to come back for 3 weeks every yr for the next decade or two and you will start to see some of the country.

I recommend you divide us by time zone, work North/South in each one.... 3-4 weeks for each zone. Travel by car, most states have more road mileage than England has in total.

Let us RPF folks know what area you're in and we'll help you out with stuff to see. If I get the 40 acres I wrote about in another thread you will be welcome to rough it out my way in Northern Minnesota. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cattech said:

You will need to decide what kind of vacation you want to have.... What kind of weather, what kind of scenery, what kind of people and how many people per square mile.... how much do you want to spend?

If you haven't been here, the first thing you will be amazed by is how BIG the US is. Next will be how diverse in geography, culture, economy, weather.

I've been to 30 of the 50 states and can recommend all sorts of things to do and see, but in my 44 years I have only seen a small fraction of what this country has to offer.

You're coming for 3 weeks, so just plan to come back for 3 weeks every yr for the next decade or two and you will start to see some of the country.

I recommend you divide us by time zone, work North/South in each one.... 3-4 weeks for each zone. Travel by car, most states have more road mileage than England has in total.

Let us RPF folks know what area you're in and we'll help you out with stuff to see. If I get the 40 acres I wrote about in another thread you will be welcome to rough it out my way in Northern Minnesota. 

That is a logical well thought out plan. The time zones would give you a boundary and yes travel that zone for 3 weeks.

If you do go to Mount Rushmore then I have to highly recommed that you visit Crazy Horse as well.  The two are so close together that I feel it foolish to visit one and not the other.

• Like 1

The Blue Ridge Parkway through the Appalachian Mountains is, or at least was, one of the most scenic trips I've ever taken.  Hopefully it hasn't become an over commercialized tourist trap in the 45 odd years since that family vacation.

• Like 1

If you go through the Ozark mountains of Arkansas get ahold of me. We will shack you up for a while.

10 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

I dont know about the souther tier of the nation but along the N tier is a highway 20 and 2

And here is some sound advice to. Stay off the interestates and find the state highways.

IMHO Hwy 2 and 20 show you the best parts of Nebraska (I am predjudiced, proud and opinionated about where I call home) and I am sure the connecting States as well. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, wombwell said:

If uk government allows and USA is open for tourist we are thinking of visiting bearing in mind time limits 3 week stay wives want some retail therapy maybe two days and the vastness of you country just looking for some suggestions to get a feel of the place happy to do some internal flights and I want to hire a big flick off pickup truck for road trip,timing will be late summer/ early autumn 

wombwell......I would like to give you my perspective on the proposed US visit......My first trip was in 1972....the most recent in 2015....and thanks to three yrs work in the British Turks and Caicos Islands....the  (my ) various passports have been  stamped 21 times on the US Border's...so

..There is NOWHERE that is not interesting in the United States hinterland....you may cross some States that appear to offer  wall to wall sweet f all....but get out into the boonies...and there are visual   ''treasures'' everywhere....of course...as a hillbilly , myself,   I frequented the rural areas.....The rural blokes are all good folk...just like rural folk anywhere....the little towns ,  are also full of  friendly places   ....I always ;liked eating at ..e,g,   ""Joe's Cafe "' rather than the convenient grease temples.....simply because , again, inevitably , there were more friendly and helpful folk   also eating therein.....Some of those places did not present the fancy facade of the grease temples....but there were real folk   inside.....

OK....do you like country musc  ??    Nashville is a must....like red rock and canyons ..??Utah.....like high mountains  and canyons....??try Colorado...like a  visually beautifull National Park  ??...then you are off to Glacier  Park in Montana....Don't want to get ripped off in Montana...??For sure..therefore avoid Mrs Patel's Motel in Livingstone....Like huge trees.in an almost spiritual setting ..??....check out Northern California and Oregon  (US 101  ) ..fancy seeing beautiful manicured acres of pip and stone fruit...???.try Georgia and the Caroliners......Get rather stressed at Immigration and Customs....??...avoid  Miami Internationl Airport...Interested in seeing a bloody huge gully with the Colorado river running through  it ??   go to Arizona... Want to see maize / corn cropss that go forever..??...go up to Iowa.... and other States 'below '' Iowa...want to be r eminded of  green  fields  like the UK??...try Minnesota..... and so it goes on...:)

My two ''favourite States"  would be Montana...and Tennesse.....Good Luck...

Mike

• Thanks 2

I don’t think Mike can overstate Mrs Patel’s establishment enough, the US has an incredible geographic diversity, I guess you just need to envision what areas that interest you and many here would provide suggestions on how to maximize that and then how you can manage your time which rapidly slips away on a trip like this with your goals. I had a buddy that toured the US for months in the 70’s on motorcycle, he was asked what was the most mileage you put on in a day, said he couldn’t recall but the least was 7 miles, got up that morning intending to go somewhere and rolled into Galveston and stayed for a couple days, that and every man his age was severely absent with the Vietnam war taking place 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Better go see Mount Rushmore before they deem it racist and dynamite it into Oblivion. 

And the Rocky Mountains, including the Bear Tooth Highway South of Red Lodge, Montana. It is so beautiful it is beyond belief.

Better see the Bonneville Salt Flats and then onto Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon.

Send us your credit card #?

We will get your itinerary set.

Get away from the tall buildings and see what America is all about,

• Like 2

@wombwell If you fly into Minneapolis or happen to pass through Minnesota let me know. Wife and I could host you either in a Minneapolis suburb or small southern Minnesota farm community. Years ago we used to host Scandinavian dance groups as they passed through on tour. Always an enjoyable experience. 
I should add that the Clay county fair in Spencer Iowa is a day well spent. Sept 11-19 this year. 

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Send us your credit card #?

We will get your itinerary set.

He sent it to me.  But in the interest of sharing it with everyone I decided to post it here:

BR-549

Zip Code 40516 1/2.

I did not realize that he is from Hooterville until I saw the Zip Code.

6 hours ago, hardtail said:

I don’t think Mike can overstate Mrs Patel’s establishment enough, the US has an incredible geographic diversity, I guess you just need to envision what areas that interest you and many here would provide suggestions on how to maximize that and then how you can manage your time which rapidly slips away on a trip like this with your goals. I had a buddy that toured the US for months in the 70’s on motorcycle, he was asked what was the most mileage you put on in a day, said he couldn’t recall but the least was 7 miles, got up that morning intending to go somewhere and rolled into Galveston and stayed for a couple days, that and every man his age was severely absent with the Vietnam war taking place 

I was told by an Indian Motel Owner that Patel means owner of land/motel.  So every motel owned by them is Mr & Mrs Patel.  You could not spell their real last name.

• Like 1
On 5/8/2021 at 9:30 AM, wombwell said:

Just googled a dodge dually do they come with a step ladder 

If your going to rent a Dodge dually bring a lot of tools and have them put a 200 gallon extra fuel tank in the back . 

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

If you do go to Mount Rushmore then I have to highly recommed that you visit Crazy Horse as well.  The two are so close together that I feel it foolish to visit one and not the other.

And then Devils tower , about 80 miles away . 

• Like 1

There's a book. 100 most scenic drives in America, or something to that effect. I have it, and I get it out when I travel somewhere new. I recommend it. I'd say pick an area and go explore, won't be able to do it all, so once you decide on a region, do it as best you can! If you end up in upstate new York, I'd be happy to host you for lunch, or a day or two.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

no one has mentioned a visit to Kansas yet. 

...there are plenty of good folk on here, Lorenzo....who can be quite diplomatic,,,,when diplomacy is required.....:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 2