If uk government allows and USA is open for tourist we are thinking of visiting bearing in mind time limits 3 week stay wives want some retail therapy maybe two days and the vastness of you country just looking for some suggestions to get a feel of the place happy to do some internal flights and I want to hire a big flick off pickup truck for road trip,timing will be late summer/ early autumn 

• Like 1

You really only need to fly into New York City to see what the United States is all about.  Or Los Angeles.

Seriously, there is A LOT of country here and the best parts are away from the megalopolises.  Plan on some serious road travel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, wombwell said:

If uk government allows and USA is open for tourist we are thinking of visiting bearing in mind time limits 3 week stay wives want some retail therapy maybe two days and the vastness of you country just looking for some suggestions to get a feel of the place happy to do some internal flights and I want to hire a big flick off pickup truck for road trip,timing will be late summer/ early autumn 

Have fun on your vacation. It is hard to visit the United States and see everything in three weeks. Such a big and diverse country with difference in culture and geography with every state. But come over, and drive a gas guzzling 4wd down our back roads. Hope you get to see some of our fine country and enjoy the friendly people in places.

• Like 2

Better go see Mount Rushmore before they deem it racist and dynamite it into Oblivion. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

if you can I would suggest flying into one city traveling for 3 weeks and fly home from someplace else.  There is a lot to see and as already been mentioned 3 weeks is not a long time.  I would pick one region and spend time seeing what it has to offer.

• Like 2

I'm not a city dweller so seeing the country and meeting people would be top of my list we have Farm bed and breakfast in uk Do you have that in the usa.

we don't have a mountain in England for our former prime ministers it wouldn't need to be a large one the only two who deserve a large memorial are winston Churchill and Maggie thatcher 

• Like 2

Rushmore is very cool. Hope they never do as lorenzo suggests. 

As said the US is a big place. You could do a week in 3 different parts of the country as well. There really is no wrong answer. 

My family prefers more nature oriented stuff. Yellowstone is awesome as are many places in Colorado. The farm lands  of the Midwest and grasslands of Nebraska and the Dakotas have there appeal to me as well. Then there is the south west. Much nice country south east as well as north east. Just more crowded and more traffic imo.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Doug in NY said:

if you can I would suggest flying into one city traveling for 3 weeks and fly home from someplace else.  There is a lot to see and as already been mentioned 3 weeks is not a long time.  I would pick one region and spend time seeing what it has to offer.

Your right that makes sense friend suggested California north to south? 

Generally it is fairly economical to fly within the US once your there, may as well land in NY and work your way across and fly back from LA, rent a 1ton Dodge Dooley with Cummins and hit your points of interest by plane, I thought I read an article where rental vehicles were hard to get? Might want to stop in Vegas and fire some automatic rifles while the wives shop.

Lorenzo I doubt they will dynamite Mount Rushmore more likely reconfigure into Rue Paul and gang 🥺

• Haha 2
47 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Better go see Mount Rushmore before they deem it racist and dynamite it into Oblivion. 

Exactly! Must see monument! 

All depends what you want to see, its all here somewhere.

This a BIG country.  Think about a short list of things in regional areas that you "must" see and work from there.  I would choose only one region or two of the country and begin there.  I am assuming that you will fly out of Heathrow.  If so, I would consider flying into Newark, New Jersey, Philadelphia, or Washington's Dulles for East Coast points of the USA.  New York's Kennedy Airport is a mess to get to.  Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Salt Lake City are pleasant airports to use in the Western part of the US.

I will put a plug in for my part of the country, Lancaster County, PA to use as a hub for day trips.  It is rural enough to provide an agricultural perspective and the sanctuary of more normal people, but close enough to the major metroplex that stretches from Richmond, Virginia north to Boston, Massachusetts along Interstate 95.  From the Lancaster County area, you can easily make day trips to the metro areas like NYC, Washington D.C., & Philadelphia.  Amtrak train service is pretty decent and affordable in the Northeastern US.

A few rough driving estimates to put things into perspective:

JFK Airport to Boston - Approx. 3.5 hours of some of the most stressful driving you will encounter.

JFK Airport to Chicago - Approx. 12 hours of solid driving

LAX to Las Vegas - Approx. 4.5 hours

LAX to San Francisco - Approx. 6 hours.

Honestly, I would consider avoiding major US cities this summer of 2021.  Things are becoming more normalized but there is still plenty of crazy hanging out there.

• Like 1

There are many general areas of rural usa that might interest you as a farmer/ruralist.

New England and the rural north east is pretty all the way from Maine to Pennsylvania. Avoid the urban areas and it's nice. 

The south east (deep south) has its charms with antebellum mansions, various crops, plenty of warm weather. 

Louisiana is part of the deep south but different. Strong French influences, great food. There is no coast like in most of the world. It just gets swampy and eventually it becomes salt water. More antebellum mansions.

The delta is a huge swath of very fertile bottom land including parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee and Missouri. Great crops, blues music festivals, southern hospitality and lots of poverty. 

The Appalachian mountains are pretty. 

The corn belt, from Ohio to Nebraska is great Northern farm country. Corn and soybeans  with some livestock.

The  great lakes are nice, especially lake superior. Not many people around Lake superior. The UP of Michigan is a ruralist delight.

The great plains are a windswept Prarie of grass and cattle with crops in some areas. Lots of wide open spaces. 

Texas is like its own country. Plains, desert, crops,  forrest, coast. 

The rocky mountains are impressive and pretty during the summer.

The Intermountain west is a vast area between the rockies and the west coast mountains. It's dry and scarcely populated. Some areas are very pretty. It's amazing how colorful the rocks and soils can be.

California has beautiful areas but there are way too many people for me. Washington and Oregon are getting the same way.

Everything between interstate 35 and the Pacific states is dry and scarcely populated. There is nowhere in Europe to compare.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, wombwell said:

Your right that makes sense friend suggested California north to south? 

A lot of very scenic and famous sites and wonderful people. And, I am not trying to slight anyone. 

But, here are my 2 cents. 

How about Highway 83 North to South will get you a good view of "flyover country" that I so often joke about but I feel is a good cross section of this fine country. (and as a bonus, not a far jaunt over to see Mt Rushmore and the Black Hills)

This trip will showcase the people you don't see on the news, quiet, honest, hardworking. The fabric of this nation. 

Bear in mind this trip will not have a lot of shiny geegaws. If you need a tourist trap every 30 miles. This ain't it. It will be peaceful and to some boring, to others regenerative. 

Good luck in your decision if the opportunity arises. It will be a tough one🤠

• Like 4

Very neat.  I should give you my Scot friends #.  He married a Texan, live in NW WA, lived in Dallas, then got cant skip job offer and now lives in Chicago.  Said he can never envision going back the the UK.  He has good insights to the USA since hes new here.

You've picked great time to come.  FWIW I will chime in.  It would be cool to fly into Vancouver BC.  Stop by here just over the border ;) and Ill show you some dairy and if early enough berry industry stuff.  Local has a farm AirBnB 4 miles away even for you.  Head south  Take ferry across Puget sound to Port Angeles WA then drive out to the Pacific ocean coast.  PRETTY country and sparse people.  Neander down to the amazing Astoria Bridge.  #1. continue to the California border and cut inland.  If its ag you wanna see then take I5 down aways and cut over to the 99 highway though the center of Cali.  Contact Tony in Ca on here an get some Almond touring.  Then you can tool over to Vegas which is pretty neat to see for a day if you've never been. Then continue around through AZ (Grand Canyon) and NM which are beautiful in my opinion.  Take some of Route 66.  Cut over TX and work way to fly home from maybe Charlotte NC?  Big 3 weeks but you'll see a lot of stuff. 

#2 Cut over at Astoria OR and head east up the Columbia river.  See and tour a Dam and watch the climate and terrain change in a few hours.  In SW WA is a big wine industry with B&B and lots of tasting with nice shops etc in the medium sized town of Walla Walla.  Swing though Southern ID and head SE to Yellowstone.  WORTH it.   OR continue up towards Rushmore and go though the Dakotas to Iowa and Missouri.  Follow the Mississippi maybe south and leave from Nashville.  OR keep going east and fly out of DC.  DC as a city is a sad joke of filth BUT the Smithsonian and monuments are quite impressive.  

Either option your see a lot and can do a lot.  Just stay away from any city you hear about on the news.  Not worth the time or money.  Cement is cement around the world. 

I dont know about the souther tier of the nation but along the N tier is a highway 20 and 2.  From the pacific to the great lakes.  Family have said its a bucket list trip but you cant be rushed.  10 days easy uncle said and worth it.  Mainly 2 lane and small towns  

• Like 2

Wow I've just got home after meeting my new granddaughter in fact my first grandchild to find all you good people have posted me some fabulous ideas for our trip ( if we are allowed) ideas you won't find in any brochure hidden America if you like lots to consider lots of planning pleases keep you ideas coming   Thanks 

• Like 1

There's Yellowstone, grand tetons, the giant redwoods, grand canyon, arches national park, great smokey mountains national park, Acadia National Park, the Everglades, etc. We have lots of parks. There are also countless historical sites associated with the revolutionary War all over the eastern seaboard, not sure if you would be interested in those but they are sites of English and American history intertwined.

• Like 1

Dallas Texas, direct flights to Europe. Home of Neiman Marcus (WOMEN LOVE THAT PLACE) and a State with the most diverse types of geography and more  miles of roads than  any other State in  the USA. AND every car rental agency with have Chevy Suburbans for high end travel.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, oleman said:

Dallas Texas, direct flights to Europe. Home of Neiman Marcus (WOMEN LOVE THAT PLACE) and a State with the most diverse types of geography and more  miles of roads than  any other State in  the USA. AND every car rental agency with have Chevy Suburbans for high end travel.

I would suggest the rental  suburban or Yukon also. Big 4wd but nice comfortable ride and room for lots of stuff. 

• Like 2

Here’s another thought. They say truck drivers are in short supply over here. Come over for a year get a job driving 18 wheeler you will get paid while exploring country.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dale560 said:

Here’s another thought. They say truck drivers are in short supply over here. Come over for a year get a job driving 18 wheeler you will get paid while exploring country.

I was at the local commercial tire shop for a rear tractor tire repair.  There was a loaded semi grain hauler there with a trailer flat. The driver was from New Zealand, I spent a few minutes with him. He was farmer that drove a truck in the USA in is off season. 

I live in Pennsylvania in the north east. I drive out to southern California to visit and back. Driving pretty solid during the day and only stopping for gas, it takes me 4 days out, and 5 days back (you have 4 time zones across this country). So, that's a week for 2500 miles one way, and you don't really see anything. Just to give you an idea.

New England is nice, but you could spend 3 weeks there easy. Lancaster area of Pennsylvania as mentioned above, is very nice. There is a lot to see east of the Mississippi river.  West of that, it opens up quite a bit. Grand Canyon always amazes me, and if you love mountains an nature, you will not be disappointed with Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

California has some nice places, problem is, there are a few million other people with the same idea. San Diego area is nice. The foothills going north have a lot of history and interesting things regarding gold rush times. My opinion, stay away from LA and San Francisco. They are nothing but cess pools anymore. The only neat thing about LA to me, is the LeBrea Tar pits. It's a tar pit in the middle of downtown LA, where they unearth prehistoric animals.

As mentioned. stay away from the big cities, they are the same no matter where you go. Use the freeways to get from one area to another, but enjoy the side roads, that is where you will see the most. Being honest, you are not going to see much in 3 weeks.

Timing wise, September/October would probably be best, after schools are back in session and hopefully snow has not closed some of the upper passes in the mountains.. The leaves usually start to turn beginning of October, depending on where you are at. That being said, New England is a hot spot for tourists during the fall colors. Nice to see, but may want to avoid.

Good luck.