Track pins and bushings

Finally started working on this TD14 I bought a couple months back. The goods news... It came with a ton of spare parts including practically new tracks.  The bad news... instead of using the master pin to break the track, the person cut a link with a torch to remove them.  So now I have to replace the links that were cut.  Now getting to my question, is it possible to remove pins and bushings without a track press?  Any experience or advice?  

You might be able to gouge them out but at least the pin will be gone/destroyed, I tried pushing a pin out on an 18 with a 20 ton shop press and it didn’t do anything but groan the press, that really wasn’t a good setup either, MB Cat built a horizontal press he built and I think he said IH moved at around 40-50 tons, what are you going to do about needing the 4 links?

@wolstenb has done this maybe he can comment on how he ended up accomplishing 

I thought, maybe foolishly, that I could drive the pins and bushings out of a few old links and use them to replace the cut ones.     I think you can rotate the bushings 180 degrees and they’re good as new

I have replaced busted track links many times without a press . Take a torch and cut a hole in the center of the pin on both sides cut as deep as you can and let it cool down a little this allows the pin to shrink .after this you can knock the pins out easily with a small hammer . Once it’s apart you will need to replace the link and pin usually I carefully grind the pin down a bit and drive it in with a sledge hammer and usually weld it into place . This isn’t exactly the OEM recommended procedure but I have done it many times and never had an issue with the replaced link or pin falling out or failing . Hope this helps 

• Like 1

...In a hurry   with old , worn chains....I have cut the link carefully....and when finished rewelded it.   This when something goes south...and the workshop is miles away..

..I did ''my time '' in a Caterpillar  workshop some 55 plus years gone....Learned a few tricks with chains that really needed a press to remove the /   a pin..be it master pin or other wise...@td5jordan   is on to it.....although in some cases , it is easier to cut the link...to break the chain..then weld up the wound...using appropriate   7018    or similar...

Mike

TD5 has it right, although I have had welded pins come out. I have used a portable pin press, on our 20 dozers I've seen the gauge hit 100tons before it made the big POP. 

My dealer had one that they would loan out till someone abused the privilege. Pic below is not it and just pulled off the web but it's just like the one I used. 

DF4ZYSlXoAEfBG5.jpg