Emco front end parts

Well it happened... The big hoss is broke down again. Checked the oil before it went out, and it was good. Apparently, pinion bearings disagree. Front pinion bearings went out, and locked the front end up. Hoping to salvage it and see what happens. Called case ih and the parts are non existent!! Holy moly.... I'll have to call local bearing house and see what happens there. Anyone got a good line on where to get parts? Doesn't look like too bad of a job to fix.

25 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Several of the axle parts can be sourced at truck shops.

Sounds legit, but I know through working at a truck shop that they need serial numbers/part numbers. Don't have either. Searching through old posts there used to be a place called trax or trac-4. I can't find them now. 

Was going to give him a call in the morning too. Done business with him before, enjoyed the transaction. 

By the way if he sees this, this is one of the creations from his back plate he sold me.

KIMG0270.JPG

The Elwood differential is an Eaton H110. GM used it from 1941 (army trucks) all the way to 1979 (motor homes) and in 1 1/2 ton trucks, so parts are available surplus or truck shops.

6 minutes ago, Torque said:

The Elwood differential is an Eaton H110. GM used it from 1941 (army trucks) all the way to 1979 (motor homes) and in 1 1/2 ton trucks, so parts are available surplus or truck shops.

As in the whole assembly or just the differential and pinion assembly?

9 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

As in the whole assembly or just the differential and pinion assembly?

GM never used that axle as a steering axle except in army trucks and they were never planetary final drive, so no, not the whole assembly. The planetary finals was a Spicer conversion and I have seen them on non steering industrial equipment and the Elwood. The center section is the same as the army trucks except ratio and I think the steering knuckle is the same also but the axle and spindle are different for the planetary. The Elwood uses U-joints and the army truck axles had rezepa joints for steering. 

Miss spoke, the army trucks used Bendix joints, they have 4 balls between ears for steering. The one Elwood I had apart had rezeppa joints, they have a bell with grooves for the balls (6 I think) and a smaller internal driver with grooves to match.

That's a good looking tractor!  plate looks like it worked too!  If your gonna fill that cart you may want to add one of these if you have any hills.

As for the differential parts, should be able to source from truck parts but it takes a knowledgeable parts man.  Will need the ratio and casting numbers or better yet part numbers. Sometimes found stamped on end of pinion and if lucky on the ring gear. There is a good place in Mn. but cant think of the name tonight.

ed

thumbnail_20210203_193220_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20210203_193228_resized.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to getting the front tore down. Plenty of junk in there to clean out. Everything looks serviceable, so going to do a good year down of ring gear set and clean up bearings and check gears in diff.

Have to find a source for the front seals on the big ball ends. There's a felt seal and a rubber one. Case IH says N/A. 

KIMG0446.JPG

KIMG0447.JPG

KIMG0448.JPG

KIMG0449.JPG

KIMG0450.JPG

KIMG0451.JPG

KIMG0452.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 9:20 PM, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Was going to give him a call in the morning too. Done business with him before, enjoyed the transaction. 

By the way if he sees this, this is one of the creations from his back plate he sold me.

KIMG0270.JPG

DO you actually use this full of grain?    I have a 500bu grain cart & a 666.....and I never even considered using the 666 on the cart.   The hitch on the cart, both the top & bottom of the U is almost as thick and 2x as wide as the drawbar on the tractor!    I pull it with a JD 7410 (120 hp, more like a 1066), and that's marginal on my flat terrain, IMO.   Curious if you find this works for you?

38 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

DO you actually use this full of grain?    I have a 500bu grain cart & a 666.....and I never even considered using the 666 on the cart.   The hitch on the cart, both the top & bottom of the U is almost as thick and 2x as wide as the drawbar on the tractor!    I pull it with a JD 7410 (120 hp, more like a 1066), and that's marginal on my flat terrain, IMO.   Curious if you find this works for you?

No, we don't. It had a little bit of shmutz left over in it that didn't get cleaned out. I was moving it out of the yard to park it for summer storage so decided to just use what was already running. We had our 1086 mfwd on it, and it was about all it would want if it started to get wet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

No, we don't. It had a little bit of shmutz left over in it that didn't get cleaned out. I was moving it out of the yard to park it for summer storage so decided to just use what was already running. We had our 1086 mfwd on it, and it was about all it would want if it started to get wet.

Brent 420? Looks like ours except yours is green and ours is red and we have a tarp kit on ours

20191007_183311.jpg

20181104_154339.jpg

Got some more work done on it. Removed ring gear and cleaning up the diff carrier. Looks like bearings have went out once at lease and ground enough to be needed repairs. Also found a nice crack on axle housing. I think I'll be able to repair it in house. 

KIMG0463.JPG

KIMG0464.JPG

KIMG0462.JPG

KIMG0461.JPG

KIMG0460.JPG

• Like 1