Gas in a Diesel engine?

How much gas mixed with diesel is a problem? I had my mind on other things when I pulled up to the fuel barrels yesterday, and grabbed the wrong nozzle. I probably put a 50/50 blend in my bobcat. Unfortunately I can’t siphon it, and it seems the only way to drain it is to pump the primer bulb to get it out of the bobcat and into a bucket. If I get it to 1/6 gas, is that still too much? Do I need to get as much as humanly possible out? If I blend back the 50/50 mixture ( max 14 gallons) into my 300 gallon barrel which is nearly full will that be an issue? Or do I need to use the mix to burn brush?

I have been of the understanding that more than 25% gas is where trouble can start. The main reason being that gas is a solvent and does not lubricate where as diesel is an oil with specific lubrication properties for diesel engine fuel systems. I would be hesitant to run 50/50, be a lot cheaper to go through the hassle of draining it down instead of finding out what could possibly happen. Blending it back in your tank should not be an issue. as that would be a low percentage.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

If it has any kind of emissions on it I’d proceed very cautiously.

This is a concern. If it’s an older one with the kubota or duetz it will be fine. Take out the hand primer and wire in an electric 12volt fuel pump to empty tank.  At work they filled a 60 gallons tank on a DTA 360 with 40 gallons of gas drove it five miles before it started running bad.  We pump tank out filled with diesel added a good dose of fuel conditioner and it was fine.  ATF would work for lube also.  Conditioner would be my first choice.

• Like 2

Take the line off that come from the tank to the primer. But a 12v "rattle box" pump, stick on there and pull the fuel out. Pretty simple. 

• Like 3

I'm no expert, but I would panic if the Bobcat is built after the mid-'90s.  That is the era when I learned the term 'lubricity' from nearly every engine manufacturer.  Newer fuel pumps are very particular about the fuel used due to higher tolerances of fuel pump internals and higher fuel pressures.  Just because the engine runs doesn't mean that major damage isn't happening inside the pump.

A couple years ago, a young co-worker fueled up a diesel Ford Transit with premium gasoline.  That truck began running poorly within 2 miles.  I spoke to the violator about the incident.  "This is a very important question and I am not angry...where did you fill up with fuel?"  His answer was a fuel station that does not have a diesel pump.  He said, "I filled up with Premium.  Premium is diesel, right?"  After telling the maintenance guy to drain the tank.  The violator and I had a conversation explaining diesel engines and diesel fuel.  These days, you cannot assume much of anything when it comes to real world smarts.

• Like 3

Can't say what happened after 2005. Up until that point those tanks had drain plugs. Two bolt cover under rear belly. Front plug was chain case. Rear was fuel tank.

Yeah not worth it imho.  Drain the tank some how and burn mixed fuel on a bon fire.  The ancients used to say 2cyl oil in X amt of gas will get you by, then keep topping it off every 5 gallons till you add the tank capacity.  BUT thats a old, low psi, slow, cool running deal.  What capacity?  20g?  Pump out 10g and add 2 qrt of 2cyl. fill to brim and used for hour.  Top off again and repeat.  Older unit prob be ok then but dont take it as gospel.  Good luck

Dad filled my Case xt60 hydro tank with diesel last summer and kept quiet.  Notice it being messy on back and could not nail it down.  No leaks etc.  Get warm an that mix would 'steam" off the vent and make mess.  Drain was seized so popped off main hose and filled few bucket running.  Cycled everything.  Did again. And Did again and left it.  I saved that fuel oil mix for the 1066 and some in the skid steer again.  The FUEL tank this time....

• Like 3

You have all the good advice which I can’t expound on anymore, this is what my dumbazz did a few years ago, mistaking a colored nozzle for the diesel pump I put three gallons of gas in a 35 gallon tank, stopped and then put diesel in, sweated for 100 miles then put another 1/4 tank diesel in, all was good, 07 5.9, it’s been fine 

• Like 1

Got a diaphragm spray pump laying around?  If you can snake a 1/2” hose into the tank you can pump most of it out. 

• Like 2

3 of us drove to Baltimore towing expo in buddies wife`s brand new Riviera. 

This was before DUI was around and we were dui.

Stopped and filled up in Baltimore.Drove into the parking garage and it sat for 2 days.

We jumped in to come home and filled the garage with smoke.

Had to stop over and over to top off with gas as buddy filled with deezel..... sigh.

Should have seen the smoke on the interstate!

Traded it off as soon as home. 

• Haha 1

Been though this before on my 05 Duramax 

The wife wanted make sure she made it back with a load hay the truck had 1/4 tank she put a 1/4 tank of gas in it.

Drove 40 miles with a trailer load of hay got home said it wasn't running right and she had just gotten fuel so I figured it was the filter.

So I pulled it as soon as I got it off I knew what the problem was.

I thought I'd just top it off with diesel then it would only be a 25% blend 

Still wouldn't run right gas has so much anti knock in it now it doesn't burn good.

Had to suck the whole tank out and fill with fresh diesel and new filter 

Poured the "blend" in the oil tank to mix with the 200 gallons and the oil burner didn't care.

Was really worried about injector issues but its been 50K with no issues now so dodged the bullet on that one

So find some kind of pump and suck it out refill and change the filters     

• Like 2

Ok I appreciate the advice. This is a bobcat 753, I think mid to late 90’s with kubota engine. I tried to siphon but I can’t get a hose into the fuel. I’m guessing it’s designed to not be siphon-able. A small electric pump would be nice, but maybe I’ll just keep pumping the primer bulb.

15 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

Ok I appreciate the advice. This is a bobcat 753, I think mid to late 90’s with kubota engine. I tried to siphon but I can’t get a hose into the fuel. I’m guessing it’s designed to not be siphon-able. A small electric pump would be nice, but maybe I’ll just keep pumping the primer bulb.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/fuel-drain-plug-bobcat-753.5013/

If don't want to remove drain plug. Park on trailer or bank so bucket can be placed lower than skidloader. Then add tube to primer bulb to reach bucket. Use bulb to start siphon.

• Thanks 1

I worked on an old Dodge Ram that had saddle tanks added on. I used a windshield washer fluid pump to get the fuel out. 

3 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Been though this before on my 05 Duramax 

The wife wanted make sure she made it back with a load hay the truck had 1/4 tank she put a 1/4 tank of gas in it.

Drove 40 miles with a trailer load of hay got home said it wasn't running right and she had just gotten fuel so I figured it was the filter.

So I pulled it as soon as I got it off I knew what the problem was.

I thought I'd just top it off with diesel then it would only be a 25% blend 

Still wouldn't run right gas has so much anti knock in it now it doesn't burn good.

Had to suck the whole tank out and fill with fresh diesel and new filter 

Poured the "blend" in the oil tank to mix with the 200 gallons and the oil burner didn't care.

Was really worried about injector issues but its been 50K with no issues now so dodged the bullet on that one

So find some kind of pump and suck it out refill and change the filters     

If I let my wife drive my truck I fill it up first just for that reason  if it’s not on E I don’t have to worry about her putting anything in it .She thinks E means Enough 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

while the gas is not good in there if you cannot get it out put in a gallon of engine oil and run it. gasoline has no lube and will screw up the pump. but yes in winter time years ago it was ok to mix up to 25 percent unleaded gas to prevent jell up. i have not even tryed that myself. regardless ad some engine oil even if you get most of it out.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully he has it all settled by now. 

You guys would use motor oil  though? And not two stroke oil?  Maybe some of each. Kubota are tough, it’ll be fine. 

I really have no experience though. Put 10 gallons of diesel into my gas pick up once on accident, ran very smoooooooth that week.

Had a buddy put a half a tank or better 50/50 anyway, of gas into his New duramax a few years ago, He was on a road trip, a good 200 miles from home, and he almost made it all the way back before he said every light on the dash lit up. Said he noticed it was a little low on power but thought maybe it was just doing a regen cylcle or something (because the truck really only had like 5000 miles on it and he wasn’t used to it yet),  he pulled into a gas station a few miles from home and said as soon as he opened the fuel cap up he could smell the gas and thought ohhh crap. He topped it off with diesel, dumped some fuel additive  in it that he had and drove with the rest of the way home.  Called his dealer and confessed his sin, they told him not to worry about it, it happens all the time and it won’t hurt anything. He drove it every day, just kept adding more diesel. That was two years ago and as far as I know he has had not one issue with it.  Who would have said that was possible on a modern vehicle?