WHITETAIL DEER HEARING.

HOW GOOD ARE THE WHITETAILS HEARING VERUS THEIR EYESIGHT. HERE I GO WITH THE DEER HUNTING QUESTIONS AGAIN. I LIVE FOR DEER HUNTING. THE REASON I ASK ABOUT THEIR HEARING IS I WANT TO GET A BATTERY OPERATED TV FOR MY DEER CAMP/STAND SINCE I LIVE RIGHT IN IT THE HUNTING SEASON.

You could come to my house, watch TV in the house, and shoot the stupid things with a cross bow right out the front window..............So if the hearing is good, they must be watching the program too?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think they hear about the same as my 4 year daughter 

when they want To

how much they want To 

if they want to

and if it’s not what they wanted to hear, toss their head around and go to their hiding spot lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, WaynefromWi said:

Maybe you should read a book instead of watching TV? If you want to be a hunter, you owe it to your quarry to give 100% attention.....

I DO READ A LOT WHEN THERE. I AM TALKING AT NIGHT AFTER HOURS. I SLEEP RIGHT IN STAND.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

You could come to my house, watch TV in the house, and shoot the stupid things with a cross bow right out the front window..............So if the hearing is good, they must be watching the program too?

IS THAT A OFFER...TELL ME WHEN AND WHERE...

• Haha 1

They can hear me walking around in the house and will look up at the windows.

Course the wife says I move around like a drunken moose?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Around here I think there hearing must be suffering, maybe it's the 1586 with muffler eliminator. I drive the largest Ford Transit that they make, usually quite fast. Noise coming down the road is similar to FedEx or UPS truck, not quiet by any means. More than once I have locked up the brakes on my clear wide open 1/8 mile driveway, yes driveway to narrowly avoid a deer.  All things considered, I would never have noise in my blind, couldn't forgive myself if the 30 point buck got spooked and I didnt get a shot.

• Like 2

scent, hearing, eyesight, in that order 10/8/5 on a scale of 1 to 10 on their sensitivity to it and 10 being highest/best 

now turkey, it would be eyesight, hearing, scent - 12/8/1 - i dont think they can smell anything lol - a turkeys eyesight is colorful/4x that of ours appx

• Like 2

I remember reading about a guide in Maine, I believe it was, who jogged through the woods singing and was very successful.  Surely we've all seen them standing at the edge of a field without even looking up, while we run a tractor with a straight pipe.

They seem to be good at reading our intentions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, busted knuckles said:

I hand feed them out the back door every night.

Careful with the bucks during rut, they can get as territorial as the "young bucks" at a Saturday nite dance!

• Like 2

when I first came home from over seas I would practice seeking up and shooting them while they were laying down 

I think they are sharp to sound but sharper to sent and site If you step on a twig they stop and look but if you don't move they don't move till they know where you are

I have shoot my  shear while they laid down and I came up behind them

• Like 1

depends on if you're hunting them or just shooting them out of the sliding door in the living room.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

when I first came home from over seas I would practice seeking up and shooting them while they were laying down 

I think they are sharp to sound but sharper to sent and site If you step on a twig they stop and look but if you don't move they don't move till they know where you are

I have shoot my  shear while they laid down and I came up behind them

That's how I liked to do it.  Try to walk them up.  Especially exciting on windy days.  Makes you develop some serious hunting skills.

I didn't get many that way, but I enjoyed it a lot.  Never liked sitting for very long.

• Like 2