Possibly going to get 40 wooded acres with a lake view.... Really Nice! Tallest hill for miles, building site has a grade to get up but the 360' view will be worth it.

There's a few overgrown trails/roads. Going to need a HD brush mower and will have to address snow removal, 3-5' annual snowfall in the general area.

Budget is going to be tight. Thinking a tractor will be the best starting point for equipment... lets see some ideas.

13 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Possibly going to get 40 wooded acres with a lake view.... Really Nice! Tallest hill for miles, building site has a grade to get up but the 360' view will be worth it.

There's a few overgrown trails/roads. Going to need a HD brush mower and will have to address snow removal, 3-5' annual snowfall in the general area.

Budget is going to be tight. Thinking a tractor will be the best starting point for equipment... lets see some ideas.

Hope it works out for. Everybody’s dream to have a vacation spot. You could cheap out on tractor and get a 9n from rick

• Haha 2

I know you said tractor but I would check into a skidsteer with a enclosed cab, just my .02, might be less money than a mfd tractor and snowblower 

• Like 1

Mfwd is nice but properly weighted with tire chains will get the work done.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Hope it works out for. Everybody’s dream to have a vacation spot. You could cheap out on tractor and get a 9n from rick

Beat me to it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Avoid a mechanical TA, the running away thing might not be a problem in a field, it is a real pain for hilly terrain. Thats why we got rid if the 544. 

The ultimate would be an excavator and a tractor 

When put my place in I ended up with a big 4x4 TLB and I had a small 2wd tractor for the PTO work already.

You need to think about the grounds up keep afterwards which in my case is a lot of mowing 

1 hour ago, Cattech said:

Minnesota still?  I was thinking a warmer climate a few montj ago was wished by you

Fwiw imho for smaller hp compact we can confidently say Kubota is best.  With 1 exception being my LX 4000 series Yanmar has bee troible free as well (got 2nd for dry cows, both scrape freestall barns).  Our little kubota has 8000hr hard barn duty hrs and still runs and operate perfectly.  Looks.....manure has done its toll.  Every other compact brand has been tried scraping an none have made it locally.  The Kubo dealer has several other color small tractors traded on hand from guys upgrading to a kubota.  They just get it.  

For what your asking for.... frankly maybe a small dozer for 2 3 years to knock it back then a tractor later?  Just a thought

I will expand a little on my thought.

Pulling stumps and rocks and putting a road in and then you have to dig the hole for the foundation

All done easily with an excavator 

When you are done sell it and buy the machine for the up keep 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Minnesota still?  I was thinking a warmer climate a few montj ago was wished by you

After analyzing the finances, with a little discipline, creativity and luck, I'm thinking I can have both... will be heading down south to look at places too. ;) This land is pretty much falling into my lap and far too good to walk away from.

Thus the low budget tractor. For now, thinking I need to stay under $10k. I have local access to a couple old HD5 Allis, both a dozer and a loader. Another acquaintance has a small Cat excavator. There are existing roads that just haven't been maintained, very little dirt work is going to need to be done. 

A skidloader would be great, but I think a majority of the work I'll need to do involves PTO driven attachments... mower, snowblower, etc. And something big enough to pull some healthy sized timber, so a compact is probably out.

I was thinking something like a 986/1086, wheel weights & chains, put a loader on it. A 5120 MFWD or equivalent would be sweet but is out of $$$ question.

20210502_172417.jpg

20210502_172525.jpg

20210502_172533.jpg

• Like 3

How about a ford 3-4-5000? Got plenty of nice features, good reliability and fuel economy, supported by parts and readily available with a quick internet search. 

• Like 1

I can whole heartedly recommend a John Deere 709 rotary cutter.  They are tough and are rated at a 4" cut, but used are pretty reasonably priced.  If you can get it underneath it, it will chop it up.  It leaves a pretty smooth cut on grass as well without windrowing.  I run mine on my 1966 Case 930 and it handles it easily.  7 feet wide.

• Like 1

I miss my 1976 Massey Ferguson MF40. Gas, manual shuttle, PTO, ROPS, Loader & MF 14 box scraper. Started like you are back in the ‘80s. A little problem with traction until I put fluid in the tires and found OEM rear weights. Huge difference in traction. Quite cheap overall and sold years later for more. An MF 202 for sale in your area would the job if it had 3pt. 

I always like stories about the North Woods, Maine was well documented when I was a Kid. 

East Texas has some farmed out land that is in the piney woods area in the vicinity of Tyler. Plenty of water and almost never any snow.  Really thick brushy woods.

The price is currently low enough to be looked at.

Since you see the need for a unit with a PTO, then I would say buy no more tractor than you need for that and find a lower dollar skid steer to go with it.  

I don't know what its like in your area but I have 350 acres and I bought what I needed with the intent of selling it when i was done and rented what I could not buy

Deere 570 Grader 10.000

TD25C                   10.000

LTL9000 dump      10.000

Dresser 520           8.000

CAT D-6 C              4500

When Im done I should be able to to get most of my money back  

Shop for what you need and don't fall in love with any of it, Think small scale

• Like 1
4 hours ago, oleman said:

I always like stories about the North Woods, Maine was well documented when I was a Kid. 

East Texas has some farmed out land that is in the piney woods area in the vicinity of Tyler. Plenty of water and almost never any snow.  Really thick brushy woods.

The price is currently low enough to be looked at.

sooooo just what price are we talking about down there?

as far as snow removal goes a good front mounted blower is worth its weight

does not have to be a large farm tractor to do the job

we run a 185 loboy with a 5' blower and run a 16hp pony motor for the blower

avrage snow fall here is 300'' a snow season

Mike

Skidsteer is the most versatile piece of equipment ever built with their accessories, I would go tracked on those slopes, I’m taking it you have access to that other equipment? The HD5 loader or dozer could be handy for road and site prep, steel tracks suck on steep grades on ice 

I like the 684 784, 884, 85,95 series for working in the woods, decent power for the size and good maneuverability in tight quarters. They will be pushing the budget of $10K for one in decent shape with loader and surpass it when equipped with MFD. You might find a deal though!

3 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

I think @1586 Jeff could fix you up with that D9 he posted a few weeks ago. It’ll take care of all your problems! 

That was a 84W series D10.  Potentially overkill for the application.

The $10,000 budget would not even get it moved there, much less purchased.......

8DB0F5BC-CA9F-41B1-8E91-D41657C325B5.jpeg