Back in March I finally got around to installing the grab hand on the left hand side of the 856. The cage nut was missing so removed the tin over the steering tower and somehow with pure luck was able to get a long enough bolt down there and stuck through the hole. Mind you the fuel tank mount is in that area, makes things a bit tight and the main reason I held off so long on putting the grab handle on. Real question is it the correct way? I have seen them put on the other way around and now I'm second guessing lolIMG_20210322_180923905.thumb.jpg.984fbad8396543303999e830e79bd280.jpg

• Like 3

Apparently I have one on upside down. Want to say the 856 is right. My grandfather was pretty much the sole operator of the 806, and he was not as tall as the rest of us. I imagine that handle  was flipped over for him a long  time ago.... and has stayed that way. 

51A3C49C-0B74-4434-A7DF-A4A96761019A.jpeg

• Like 5

06 and 56 have different handles. You both have them correct. 

06 swoops down.

56 swoops up.

The wide part of the handle should be back, even though it makes less room to get on. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, IH FARMS said:

Yes Dan is correct.  If a person tries to turn it around on an 06 the TA lever will hit it when pulled back. 

Correct. Kind of a pet peeve of mine. Also when people put the TA lever on. When in TA, the lever should almost touch the handle, not straight up in the air. When in Direct, it ends up being clear against the hood. How are you supposed to comfortably pull that??

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

06 and 56 have different handles. You both have them correct. 

06 swoops down.

56 swoops up.

The wide part of the handle should be back, even though it makes less room to get on. 

Thank you for the clarification. I didn't even know the 06's or swooping it down was a thing. The 1256 I think it was that I saw on tractor house had the wide part of the handle at the lower/bottom and narrow at the top. I mean I guess it would work either way or swooping down depending on the preference

12 hours ago, IH FARMS said:

Yes Dan is correct.  If a person tries to turn it around on an 06 the TA lever will hit it when pulled back. 

12 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Correct. Kind of a pet peeve of mine. Also when people put the TA lever on. When in TA, the lever should almost touch the handle, not straight up in the air. When in Direct, it ends up being clear against the hood. How are you supposed to comfortably pull that??

Best way to prevent from being used therefore not wearing out the TA 😎

13 hours ago, stronger800 said:

2F1F18F3-3126-478F-A998-89209989BD3E.jpeg

Always had a round muffler on ours. The guy who overhauled the engine stuck a oval muffler on as the one we had on it broke off and I was disappointed at first but it has really grown on me

This bothers me now and I can't find a picture................I am pretty sure the 706 that was here was up as well, and I know for a fact nothing hit, we used the TA often.  Also the handle was never modified.  I will have to hunt those pictures down when I come in tonight.

37 minutes ago, Bgriffin856 said:

Best way to prevent from being used therefore not wearing out the TA 😎

T/A  cycles and dumps pressure each time you push the clutch.

39 minutes ago, Bgriffin856 said:

Always had a round muffler on ours. The guy who overhauled the engine stuck a oval muffler on as the one we had on it broke off and I was disappointed at first but it has really grown on me

I have the round my muffler off of this one, and it came with a chrome pipe, but we have mostly 1066’s, so I wanted the oval pretty much just to match.  If it sounded half as deep and whistley as our 806, I’d have left the straight pipe on.  Looks funny in that pic  without 66 style rain cap

lnteresting topic. l did a google search and seems that most of the original unrestored 806's have the handle down while a majority of restored or repainted 806's have the handle up. Another odd thing is that a big majority of IH ad pics show the right side of the tractor, not the left.

In the tractor of the week thread, I only noticed one that as oriented up. And I certainly did not notice it at first, it’s just that’s where I went back to look once this thread started. 

I looked, found one picture, it was on correct for an '06.......................A mind is a terrible thing..............when it doesn't work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Throwing more gas on the fire. In IH sales brochures 26/56 series Factory TA delete have the 56 style handle installed down. Even some with TA have handle installed down. Now if 100% of TA delete 26/56 came that way is unknown. Never will be known. I bet it was mainly up the guy installing them on 26/56s.  The 06 handle and 26/56 is different. 26/56/66 are the same except it seems IH started doing away with the handle coating and jyst painting them black for the 66/68s. 

• Like 1

Our 826 had a TA, and about 1000hrs when dad got it in the early 80’s. I’m 99% sure the handle was down same as our 806.  806 still has a lot of that coating on it. The original throttle lever did too right? I replaced the handle 25 yeas ago as the roll pin had worn into it, more than the pin had worn itself.  I should have just filled in the handle wear. New handle wasn’t  coated