1967 Case 580 CK stripped crankshaft-hydro coupler

I was digging out a red oak stump today. I thought I was going easy but the crank-hydro pump coupler thought otherwise. *POP GRRRRRRRRRRRRR* and no more hydraulics. I'm attaching pics and you can see the internal splines are gone in the sleeve part of the coupler. The externally splined part is looking haggard as well on the crankshaft end. I was thinking I could get back to work by swapping the ends around so the chewed up parts are engaged and welding it together. I'd then have fresh splines going into the crankshaft and going to the pump. The shaft on the pump isn't looking so hot though and I think it wouldn't be too long before it fails. Also, welding the coupler shaft and sleeve solid might knock it off kilter and damage something and then I'd really be sorry... Seems like Brokentractor has all the parts from the crank coupler, coupler shaft, coupler sleeve, and pump for $565 which to me would be well worth never worrying again. I think I'll cool my jets a while and order the parts. This is a job at my own place, not for a customer. I didn't buy the machine to make money, I bought it to dig my own holes. But saying for some reason, I HAD to have it working tomorrow... Would this be an acceptable field repair to weld the shaft and sleeve as I described? I don't see myself actually doing it but I'm wondering has anyone done it before and not had something horrible happen.181431134_2765493927114379_8480344493312154131_n.thumb.jpg.ba760f0eaaa34058ad67dd738eca959e.jpg

181018256_175800734421916_194344450020378891_n.jpg

180224763_3877962848948125_6616789230644863880_n.jpg

180599353_839692089952469_507210844814027883_n.jpg

18 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

What is in the other end of the tubular coupler? It almost looks like you could reproduce it with standard parts.

It's the exact same spline pattern on the other end. That's why I was thinking it's possible to flip both of them around and weld them together. I don't know what would happen though. Main thing, it might work but the end of the pump is roughed up. I might get another 3 hours going very gently before it strips again.

What have you got to lose by welding it together and trying it? You might save $565.  You could buy a generic spline sleeve and shaft of the same size. Is there a straight side to the splines left on the pump that you could clock the sleeve up against before you weld it?  That might make it more concentric.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Shafting/Splined-Shafting/

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Shaft-Couplers/Keyed-Splined-Hex-1-Piece-Solid-Couplers/

8 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Tack weld the coupler to the pump and let the other end slide  freely on the spline maybe?  Or drill and cross pin it.

5 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

What have you got to lose by welding it together and trying it? You might save $565.

I was thinking to drill and pin it as well but **** if the weld breaks, the pin won't be worth much.
I'd hate to throw something out of balance and spin a main bearing so I'm hesitant. That pump shaft isn't going to hold up much longer anyways.I already ordered the stuff. I don't want to worry about it again. I have the money to do it right now. I might not later and if I bodge fix it, it'll run until something breaks. Who knows when that is. I want to do it right. If I had to, I'd probably try it. Might even tack the coupler to the pump. $565 is cheap piece of mind and I'll have a wicked hydraulic pump for something else when all is said and done.

Not saying to do or not but true story

Early 80’s traded my buddy vehicles for his 74 Camaro, lemon yellow should have been my first clue, worn and tired 350/350, happened to have a rebuilt 283 sitting for a project never used so this supplied the engine refresh, a couple thousand miles in it slings the harmonic balancer off as I’m going down the highway as those early engines never had a tapped hole and bolt like all engines after, now installed and not easy to perform machining operation insitu I went over to my uncles and he welded it on, years later traded it with another coworker which he had for a bit and sold to another bloke unknown to me, as I was sitting in the local watering hole one afternoon I hear a couple guys engaging in car talk and problems encountered when one pipes up and says some dumb f*** welded the balancer on, figured out where it had found its new home

Got a stripped shaft and coupler in NH 778!  Looks about like the one  in the picture! same deal, internal splines in sleeve gone, AND pump splines bout gone! They wont sell a new pump shaft! Pump is strong just needs sleeve and shaft. Loader still sitting, everything else is great on it.

51 minutes ago, SONNY said:

Got a stripped shaft and coupler in NH 778!  Looks about like the one  in the picture! same deal, internal splines in sleeve gone, AND pump splines bout gone! They wont sell a new pump shaft! Pump is strong just needs sleeve and shaft. Loader still sitting, everything else is great on it.

looks like those pumps sub to 2-3 and those fit 50-60 models

someone here made new shafts for td 9

if machine shop was free could make up some redi sleeves and oversize new couplers to sell,and rag joint to crank side

• Like 2