Re-torquing lug nuts is important

Now that is serious cheating.

• Haha 3

There’s one missing, guess they weren’t checked!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wonder how much vibration develops 

Some mag companies used to have some multi fit slot rims and the washer offset centered them, definitely not their finest idea

• Like 4
1 hour ago, hardtail said:

Some mag companies used to have some multi fit slot rims and the washer offset centered them, definitely not their finest idea

Had them on my '69 Firebird. No vibration. Sold them when I needed some money.

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

Et uni lugs for one iirc.

• Like 1

Yep , know what happens first hand ! 
brought her home from dealer forgot to check lugs . 
lost two complete wheels on freeway 

lucky no one else involved . made it home on spare and it lost nuts limping home . Unloaded the RedKid and dealer picked it on low boy .

was my lucky day !

factory and dealer stood good for it. Was it’s first load and trip 

tony

7148DBC3-37CF-49F4-BEA9-C662B451338F.jpeg

E927316E-0AE1-4267-BC0B-0F01F0CF0154.jpeg

53CE1D3C-6B85-48C0-AA37-FA16ADF58C3D.jpeg

• Sad 5

We have a Kubota L45 backhoe at work that is 6-7 years old. Last week the back wheel almost fell off, only had 2 lugs holding it. Wheel had never been off since new. No idea why it decided to loosen up when it did. Had to put a new wheel on as the holes were wallowed out. The operator did not notice it until someone flagged him down and said "you're wheel is about to fall off".  

• Like 1

In 1959 I helped my Cousin put the wheels on his 53 ford and headed to town at about 50 MPH the right  front wheel, the one I put on, crossed in front of us and the right front went down and we skidded to a stop. In 2009 I ask my Cousin if he remembered the incident he he said yep he forgot to tighten the lug nuts and ruined the brake drum. BECAUSE even though I put the wheel on  he was still responsible for making sure the nuts were tight.  Only vehicle I was ever in that lost a wheel.

Today we operate an RV converted  transit bus with 10 lug Alchoa wheels. The transit district had arrows on every lug nut pointing  in a circle, great device for looking at lug nuts to see they are tight.  At 550 # of torque I don't how they could work loose but the arrows are in place today.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

Had them on my '69 Firebird. No vibration. Sold them when I needed some money.

Buddy had a Tempest in 65 285HP 326 T10 3.55 with American Mags they had that style wheel so they would fit the GM 4.75 and Ford 4.5 patterns actually just a tiny offset. He never had an issue that I recall.  He did 18 second 1/4 miles with that car.  It was faster than my 59 Desoto 361 or the 66 Impala SS with a 327! 

I have a utility trailer now that still uses the GM 4.75" hole pattern.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, lorenzo said:

After the first 100 miles so you don’t loose any of your nuts. 
A2638D33-FF4C-4B21-A4EB-16CEC391BD3F.jpeg.2316cfe43900b2b060f4fa66c6e96444.jpeg

Anything goes as long as it made it to the junkyard intact . . . 

2 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

lucky no one else involved . made it home on spare and it lost nuts limping home . Unloaded the RedKid and dealer picked it on low boy .

was my lucky day !

tony

2 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

was my lucky day !

tony

The Guy who runs the RV storage area where our bus is, makes a  income  doing inner wheel well repair on Trailers mostly, insurance work from  blown out tires

Another money maker is leaking roofs on expensive Motor Homes, that fancy wood work does not like getting wet.  AND roof design and sealing appear to be afterthoughts.

Good luck with your projects.

• Like 1
On 5/3/2021 at 4:13 PM, lorenzo said:

After the first 100 miles so you don’t loose any of your nuts. 
A2638D33-FF4C-4B21-A4EB-16CEC391BD3F.jpeg.2316cfe43900b2b060f4fa66c6e96444.jpeg

Larry " Don't " use them on the GT.

Been a while since I seen this kinda ingenuity....  

Western PA. comes to mind ....

Nevermind .....

HP

• Haha 5
7 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

No idea why it decided to loosen up

If you do a lot of spinning in reverse they can loosen had that happen on one of the 4x4 PUs while playing in the mud. 

How do those bright green plastic arrow markers that you see on some bus/trucks as mentioned above work? I mean, how are they held perfectly in place as the nut is tightened? 

The checking torque paragraph on an invoice is only to cover shop's a$$ in court.

Never used it and never had a loose wheel complaint in 40 yrs.

Many loose customers tho.

Had hubcap been replaced, nut would have not been lost.

Only problem I see.....sigh.

• Haha 1

Back in the 80's hauled grain with a 1960 Chey C60 the rear duals only had one nut per stud not one on each wheel 2 per stud. They where known to need watching. Friend and I traded work he was the truck driver I ran combine. He was building his house also, so got a retired guy that had drove a bit of truck for other neighbors. He show up one afternoon the right hand duals feel off your truck.

Luckily we knew where a parts truck was, but what a job picking it up off the ground with 8 ton on it.

Another neighbors wife had been outside when the truck went by said she saw the wheels wobbling. But with kids and all to watch did not try to stop him. He made it about 3 mile farther down the road. He claimed to never feel anything wrong before it leaned over with both wheels off. We also figure why the other trucks the guy was driving always needed repairs. So we never needed his help after that. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

How do those bright green plastic arrow markers that you see on some bus/trucks as mentioned above work? I mean, how are they held perfectly in place as the nut is tightened? 

The ones we have are just snug.  Your supposed to check them during your 360* walk around to make sure they are still tight.  If they are not pointing in a line something is lose

lots of chuckle heads move them to screw with their buddy, and now no one cares anymore 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, stronger800 said:

The lug nuts are tightened, then the plastic arrows are put on.