Rattle Snakes

8 hours ago, AKwelder said:

They still have the round up?

Yes they have it, in Sweetwater, Texas. This year it was March 12, 13, 14 2021. l have no desire to go to it. ln my opinion......the only good snake is a dead snake.

• Like 6

Working alone in snake county im constantly vigilant for snakes 

Rattle is a sound noone will forget.

• Like 1

I know of very few people that actually "like" snakes, most have little use for them. So why is gummint of all stripes filled with them? Hmmmm, very puzzling...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bitty said:

I just about stepped on a timber rattlesnake on labor day around 2010 . It was coiled up and never rattled. I barely saw it before I stopped with my foot 6" above the snake. Uncle George who was 83 dispatched it as I screamed like a little girl. It was "only" ( according to my brother in-law) 38" and had 10 rattles 

I HATE SNAKES !! 

ME TOO

5 hours ago, 88power said:

If your ever in the area this place is worth a stop, these people know there stuff

FU@k THAT SH!T The only snakes I like are dead ones

• Like 1

The more dead snakes there are the better I like it. Me and son walk the creek where it runs on property  shooting snakes at twice aduring the summer.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:17 PM, 1256pickett said:

About 15 minutes. I actually work factory job in Dunkirk. 

I used to live in sinclairville ny...i bet you live on the old firth farm...i lived on the Oakes farm...now live in cottondale fl....we mainly have cottonmouth and a few rattlers

6 hours ago, Norton1256 said:

I used to live in sinclairville ny...i bet you live on the old firth farm...i lived on the Oakes farm...now live in cottondale fl....we mainly have cottonmouth and a few rattlers

Long time no see Nort. How’s Florida treating you? 

I live now in W. Texas, actually have not seen a snake yet this year. But its early(kinda).

I know some guys will purposely swerve on the road to run over any snake. I am the opposite, even on a gravel lease road I have stopped to let a snake cross in front of me. 
I have been known to stop, get out of the truck, grab my 12 ft tank measure stick, and ‘help’ the snake off the path.

They say a rattle snake doesn't die til the sun goes down. We always cut off their head and buried it when we killed them. Also cut off the rattles and took them home. Have stepped right on coiled up ones that were sleeping! Heart don't like that! Rattle snakes are the one thing I don't miss about when I farmed in Texas.

5 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

Long time no see Nort. How’s Florida treating you? 

It's mostly good kevin...with a few speed bumps...no longer in the dairy

11 hours ago, Norton1256 said:

I've heard of the Oakes in Sinclairville although I live close to 100 miles from Chautauqua County.  

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

I've heard of the Oakes in Sinclairville although I live close to 100 miles from Chautauqua County.  

That's interesting...we dairy farmed it My whole life there...my brother still is at it on our dad and granddads farms....Mr Oakes got into selling land and timber before he had his heart attack....

6 minutes ago, Norton1256 said:

That's interesting...we dairy farmed it My whole life there...my brother still is at it on our dad and granddads farms....Mr Oakes got into selling land and timber before he had his heart attack....

A relative of theirs had a dairy in the Finger Lakes a bit NW of Ithaca, NY.  That the Chautauqua County Oakes' were into lumber as well as dairy.  I guess that they milled it at one point?  I knew of a couple of other farm families in Chautauqua County as well.  I knew one of the Peterson's from Frewsburg.  The brother is an auctioneer.  I think that the dairy was sold a while back.  I knew somebody up in grape country but it will take some time to recall the name.

We have eastern diamond backs here along with timber rattlers, copperheads and cotton mouths. Any time you’re outside, always look where you are about to step or put your hands. 
 I’ve killed and or walked up on/stumbled upon dozens if not hundreds of diamond backs along with a few timber rattlers and have yet to have one one rattle to “warn” me. The only time I’ve seen them rattle is when I’ve already shot,hit, stepped on or grabbed it (with a pickup stick). 
 When they are in their element, their camouflage works very well and I’ve probably walked past more that I never knew were there than the ones I saw. 
 I was walking through a pile of scrap iron one time that had kind of a trail through the middle of it with tall Bahia grass growing in it, when I turned around to come out, I noticed a large diamond back laying in the grass length wise of the trail that I just walked all over without actually stepping right on him, he never made a sound, until I hit him with a piece of scrap iron.

We used to put peanuts on 4 wheel dryer wagons and it was ten miles to the buying point so we loaded all we could get on them which meant somebody (usually me) had to be on the wagon when the pickers dumped to rake the peanuts around with a scoop to get the wagon full. Nothing will get your attention faster than a rattlesnake sliding down out of the basket onto the wagon with you while you’re knee deep in peanuts and can’t get away fast enough. I don’t know how they can survive going through a peanut picker but, they’re really pissed off when they do. Just tuck and roll when you hit the ground.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jworley said:

We have eastern diamond backs here along with timber rattlers, copperheads and cotton mouths. Any time you’re outside, always look where you are about to step or put your hands. 
 I’ve killed and or walked up on/stumbled upon dozens if not hundreds of diamond backs along with a few timber rattlers and have yet to have one one rattle to “warn” me. The only time I’ve seen them rattle is when I’ve already shot,hit, stepped on or grabbed it (with a pickup stick). 
 When they are in their element, their camouflage works very well and I’ve probably walked past more that I never knew were there than the ones I saw. 
 I was walking through a pile of scrap iron one time that had kind of a trail through the middle of it with tall Bahia grass growing in it, when I turned around to come out, I noticed a large diamond back laying in the grass length wise of the trail that I just walked all over without actually stepping right on him, he never made a sound, until I hit him with a piece of scrap iron.

We used to put peanuts on 4 wheel dryer wagons and it was ten miles to the buying point so we loaded all we could get on them which meant somebody (usually me) had to be on the wagon when the pickers dumped to rake the peanuts around with a scoop to get the wagon full. Nothing will get your attention faster than a rattlesnake sliding down out of the basket onto the wagon with you while you’re knee deep in peanuts and can’t get away fast enough. I don’t know how they can survive going through a peanut picker but, they’re really pissed off when they do. Just tuck and roll when you hit the ground.

And just like that I’ll never visit Georgia ????

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

And just like that I’ll never visit Georgia ????

One of the many great things about Alaska, the snake population 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jworley said:

have yet to have one one rattle to “warn” me.

Boy, that is not good. 

They all rattle up a storm here thankfully.

I have even heard bull snakes hiss that sounds pretty close to a rattle, really gets my attention until I figure it out because bull snakes? rattle snakes?

50 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

One of the many great things about Alaska, the snake population 

True no doubt

But most snake encounters can be mediated with tall snake boots and a stick.

Bears on the other hand...............

• Haha 2

On 5/3/2021 at 8:53 PM, highcotton said:

We have several species of rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cottonmouths around here. I’d rather deal with the rattlers- they tend to let you know their there. Cottonmouths are just ornery sob’s...

My grandmother and her family are from the West Columbia area (way back when). She told me stories about those snakes. NO THANK YOU! People rag on this place for our snow. I'll take snow, because here are things we don't have.

1. Nasty snakes
  2. tornadoes (very, very rarely. less than one a year in all of CNY)
  3. hurricanes
  4. wildfires
  5. cockroaches
  6. earthquakes (like tornadoes. I remember one, mild one)
  7. brain eating amoeba
  8. crocodiles/alligators
  9. sharks
  • Like 3