I kill a few every year fencin and luckily have had no real close calls. Me and the dogs know the sound well and instantly freeze until we know where he is. 

I have a cow or calf bit every so often and some live some die. 

Dogs get a rattlesnake vaccine every year which is supposed to buy time to get them to a vet with antivenom. Haven't had to test it out yet. 

Old wives tale says if you have bull snakes you will not have rattle snakes. Any big old fat bull snakes I find, I bring home and throw in one of the out buildings. In the twenty some years I have lived down on the river I can only remember seeing three rattlers on the place so maybe???

If you are not familiar with rattle snakes and may be traveling/vacationing to an area with them (never hurts to ask), maybe you can get some use out of the following. 

Stay alert, stay safe and have a good summer. 

It’s about that time of year, friends. Good info:

Thanks to Candy Grant Randen for this post.  I grew up chasing rattlesnakes.  One of your best defenses from a rattlesnake bite is to read up a little bit about the species behavior and habitat.  This post is so good it's not a bad idea to read and re-read it.  Maybe even make a copy.

We had Jim B from Rapid City come and visit with the EMTs and others about rattlesnake bites. He has extensive training and was so informative trying to squelch many of the myths about snake bites and what to do.
1.  Many have believed the smaller rattlers are more dangerous, BUT the bigger the snake, the worse and more potent the bite.
2. The best defense if bitten by a snake is a set of car keys and a driver. Never dither or waste time. Call 911 and request an ambulance or Life Flight. Then drive the victim to meet them.  Keep calm and keep the patient calm!!!! Stress, anxiety and the toxin in their system can lead to breathing problems. Be aware of their breathing or swelling of the face.
3.  The antivenom, CROFAB is available at Bowman, Hettinger, Baker, Spearfish, Sturgis, Lead/Deadwood and Rapid City.  Bowman has 6 vials on hand at all times and this is enough to stabilize a victim to get them on if needed.
It has a shelf life of 1 year and if not used, the company exchanges it out. CRO-FAB does take about 30 minutes to mix so call the hospital you are headed to and they can be ready with it when you arrive.
4.  The protein in the venom works within minutes or hours depending on size and location of the target tissue they bite, the time they were bound to the tissue and the route of injection whether subcutaneous, intramuscular or intravenous.
5. If a bite victim has minimal pain, they are in trouble. Snake bites are painful because of all the damage the venom is doing throughout the body.
6.  Do not cut and suck and do not put on a tourniquet.
7. Remove any constricting clothing and jewelry and immobilize/splint the extremity in the position of function (knee slightly bent if it is their leg and arm slightly bent at elbow if an arm)but not tight as you must leave room for swelling.
8. Mark the area that is affected around the bite site with a sharpie marker and write the time as it is important to know how much it is swelling.
9.  Do not give Benadryl. It does no good.
10.  We only have one venomous snake, the prairie rattler in South Dakota so no need to bring the snake along to the hospital.
11.  They are noticing more rattlers in our region with an atrophy tail segment that are not able to rattle. Scientists are unsure why this is happening but these tend to be more aggressive since they do not have the rattle defense.
12. Learning how antivenom is made was mind boggling. No wonder it is so expensive. Venom is extracted from lab snakes in Salt Lake City and sent to Great Britain to extract the protein which is then sent to Australia to sheep that are injected to produce the antibodies which are then removed and sent to Baltimore, Maryland which then processes it.
Stay safe out there. Be aware of your surroundings at all times.

• Thanks 6
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I kill a few every year fencin and luckily have had no real close calls. Me and the dogs know the sound well and instantly freeze until we know where he is.  I have a cow or calf bit every so oft

Yes they have it, in Sweetwater, Texas. This year it was March 12, 13, 14 2021. l have no desire to go to it. ln my opinion......the only good snake is a dead snake.

And just like that I’ll never visit Georgia 😂😉😉😂

Posted Images

The region around Rochester, NY has kind of an interesting history in regards to rattlesnakes.  When the region opened to settlement around 1800 the Genesee River had lots of them around it.  It was a practice and somewhat of a festival to gather as many up as possible and place them in a burlap bag then drown them in the river or creek.  The rattlesnake has such a legacy there that in the late 20th Century there was a professional lacrosse team named the Rattler's.  This despite the rattlesnake has not been seen in the City of Rochester for many decades prior.  Now go up the Genesee River and the probability of finding a rattlesnake goes up dramatically.  As a matter of fact one was supposedly sighted in the Letchworth Park area this spring.  Letchworth Park has many rock formations that would make ideal dens for snakes.  I remember as a student at the college down at Alfred, NY that students were warned that it was possible to encounter a rattlesnake there despite the snake's reputation as being shy.  I remember taking a hiking course for my gym requirement there and was advised to watch where I put my feet plus wear high back athletic shoes.  The campus is within a dozen miles of the afore mentioned Genesee River and that far up stream the rattlesnake is known to openly swim the river.  Beyond that the Southern Tier in New York is known to have them out in the wilds there including rivers such as the Canisteo deep in Steuben County.  There have been claims of rattlesnakes seen in other areas in the region but have been for the most part been unverified.  I remember a news story from around 15 years ago that a Rochester, NY man took a few rattlesnakes out of a den down in Steuben County to have in his house as pets.  He tried fondling one and got bit making his face swollen.  He wound up paying a fine plus had to return the snakes to their natural habitat.  They say most rattlesnakes around here are of the Eastern timber rattlesnake with typical lengths of 18-30 inches.  More than I want to deal with never mind what is found in the South or West.  

12 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

The region around Rochester, NY has kind of an interesting history in regards to rattlesnakes.  When the region opened to settlement around 1800 the Genesee River had lots of them around it.  It was a practice and somewhat of a festival to gather as many up as possible and place them in a burlap bag then drown them in the river or creek.  The rattlesnake has such a legacy there that in the late 20th Century there was a professional lacrosse team named the Rattler's.  This despite the rattlesnake has not been seen in the City of Rochester for many decades prior.  Now go up the Genesee River and the probability of finding a rattlesnake goes up dramatically.  As a matter of fact one was supposedly sighted in the Letchworth Park area this spring.  Letchworth Park has many rock formations that would make ideal dens for snakes.  I remember as a student at the college down at Alfred, NY that students were warned that it was possible to encounter a rattlesnake there despite the snake's reputation as being shy.  I remember taking a hiking course for my gym requirement there and was advised to watch where I put my feet plus wear high back athletic shoes.  The campus is within a dozen miles of the afore mentioned Genesee River and that far up stream the rattlesnake is known to openly swim the river.  Beyond that the Southern Tier in New York is known to have them out in the wilds there including rivers such as the Canisteo deep in Steuben County.  There have been claims of rattlesnakes seen in other areas in the region but have been for the most part been unverified.  I remember a news story from around 15 years ago that a Rochester, NY man took a few rattlesnakes out of a den down in Steuben County to have in his house as pets.  He tried fondling one and got bit making his face swollen.  He wound up paying a fine plus had to return the snakes to their natural habitat.  They say most rattlesnakes around here are of the Eastern timber rattlesnake with typical lengths of 18-30 inches.  More than I want to deal with never mind what is found in the South or West.  

I've never seen a timber rattler or a copperhead, which the DEC says are both present here, but in my part of the state there are massasauga rattlers. They are fairly docile. Honestly, as a kid I think I had a better chance of getting bitten by the nothern water snakes. THEY are a-holes. They'll strike at anything. I've been bitten playing with little milk snakes, garters, etc. I'm really glad we don't have any truly dangerous snakes around.

Did you go to U or State? When were you there?

Great info @sandhiller  I think I’m little south west of @766 Man , Halfway from buffalo NY to Erie PA,  only stories we hear around here about ‘em is at the local tire dump. It caught fire 25+/- years ago and ain’t heard a rattler story since. But I seen em when I did a harvest crew run 20+ years ago in wheat country. 

6 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I've never seen a timber rattler or a copperhead, which the DEC says are both present here, but in my part of the state there are massasauga rattlers. They are fairly docile. Honestly, as a kid I think I had a better chance of getting bitten by the nothern water snakes. THEY are a-holes. They'll strike at anything. I've been bitten playing with little milk snakes, garters, etc. I'm really glad we don't have any truly dangerous snakes around.

Did you go to U or State? When were you there?

I'm not sure how much is fact and how much is fiction when it comes to what snake is where here.  Probably with the area more built up in general versus 100 years ago those snakes may have been driven out.  I've heard stories that they have been found in Montezuma Swamp but nobody has ever gotten a picture to go with a story.  I went to State back during the early 1980's.  I try to leave snakes alone for the most part as they are a crucial part of the eco system.  

7 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

Great info @sandhiller  I think I’m little south west of @766 Man , Halfway from buffalo NY to Erie PA,  only stories we hear around here about ‘em is at the local tire dump. It caught fire 25+/- years ago and ain’t heard a rattler story since. But I seen em when I did a harvest crew run 20+ years ago in wheat country. 

You must be near Dunkirk/Fredonia.  A very nice area plus the home of a girl that broke my heart many years ago.  

They killed this one two blocks over from our house a few weeks ago. (right next to Dyess AFB)  Then just a few days ago, a nurse that works in the same place with my wife went out to check the water for her horses and saw a rattler drinking out of the trough. (between the faucet and the fence post) Went and got her 12 ga. and blew his butt away.

Tye snake-3-29-21.JPG

snake drinking frm water trough.jpg

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

You must be near Dunkirk/Fredonia.  A very nice area plus the home of a girl that broke my heart many years ago.  

About 15 minutes. I actually work factory job in Dunkirk. 

in the early 80's there were several instances with rattlesnakes in Letchworth park.  My grandparents neighbors in Perry found one in there garage after having dinner at the Glen Iris in the park.  I never worried about them while hunting in the park, as late November was going to be to cold for them to be out.  There were lots of overhangs and good spots for them to den up when you started hunting down in the gorge.

I just about stepped on a timber rattlesnake on labor day around 2010 . It was coiled up and never rattled. I barely saw it before I stopped with my foot 6" above the snake. Uncle George who was 83 dispatched it as I screamed like a little girl. It was "only" ( according to my brother in-law) 38" and had 10 rattles 

I HATE SNAKES !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Doug in NY said:

in the early 80's there were several instances with rattlesnakes in Letchworth park.  My grandparents neighbors in Perry found one in there garage after having dinner at the Glen Iris in the park.  I never worried about them while hunting in the park, as late November was going to be to cold for them to be out.  There were lots of overhangs and good spots for them to den up when you started hunting down in the gorge.

To keep this IH related I went over to Walkley's in Perry for parts a couple of times during the 1980's.  When I was a student at Alfred I would nose in over at KG Richmond if staying in Alfred for the weekend.  

2 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

To keep this IH related I went over to Walkley's in Perry for parts a couple of times during the 1980's.  When I was a student at Alfred I would nose in over at KG Richmond if staying in Alfred for the weekend.  

The farms were all sold by the 80's, there was a Allis Chalmers WD-45 still around at that point, I think that one of my cousins still has it.  My grand father was pretty insistent that no one was farming after him in the family.

I had never seen or heard a rattler until I moved to the southwest corner of Nebraska. Dang near stepped on the first one. After that I got where I was pretty good at spotting them. Still can’t hardly hear them. 
KEEP YOUR MUFFLER ON!!

• Like 1

In probably 1965 we did a field trip to letchworth park, we had heard the stories of the cave/tunnel that was being built through the mountain is the late 1800's for a quick route to a neighboring's school and town. A couple of friends and I found the entrance and made it about 30' in before everything around us started to rattle, we were gone. 

Spent 30 years in Arizona later in life and got real used to the critters.

When living in north San Diego County, MIL had a flower ranch. Mexican workers would sharpen end of a long stick, and stick them thru the back of their head. They used golf carts around the ranch, and would come rolling down to the office with a big old smile and a big old rattler hanging from a stick off the back of their cart. They would be in the avocado groves and around the house. In 18 years never had any real problems, killed a few. Any time one was in the drive or around the house, they would just lay there. Out in the grove is where you would see them coiled up.

3 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

They killed this one two blocks over from our house a few weeks ago. (right next to Dyess AFB)  Then just a few days ago, a nurse that works in the same place with my wife went out to check the water for her horses and saw a rattler drinking out of the trough. (between the faucet and the fence post) Went and got her 12 ga. and blew his butt away.

Tye snake-3-29-21.JPG

Did she serve it up for breakfast?

When I worked for Sun Coast Resources, one of the mechanics made snake jerky

58 minutes ago, bitty said:

I just about stepped on a timber rattlesnake on labor day around 2010 . It was coiled up and never rattled. I barely saw it before I stopped with my foot 6" above the snake. Uncle George who was 83 dispatched it as I screamed like a little girl. It was "only" ( according to my brother in-law) 38" and had 10 rattles 

I HATE SNAKES !! 

“I screamed like a little girl” at least you could scream, I am so deathly afraid of snakes and if I ever see anything I turn and run so fast it looks like a cartoon character.

story:

Years ago we had a building fire at an apartment complex at daybreak, I was driving and running the lines, after initially knocking any fire and hotspots down, I went in to bring any lines out and check the charged lines, as I went in someone said there were snakes in the suite, I didn’t think about the statement because of other things on my mind, inside there was this vivarium set up against the wall with two huge pythons in it, I stopped turned tail and left like a scalded cat, much to the amusement of my so-called brothers that day, I never could/have/will be able to stand snakes.

• Haha 1

The local Mexicans that killed them, had someone in the local town that bought them for I think $50 bucks apiece. They claim they have some kind of medicinal purpose.

1 minute ago, Duntongw said:

The local Mexicans that killed them, had someone in the local town that bought them for I think $50 bucks apiece. They claim they have some kind of medicinal purpose.

Boots and purses? Would the venom be of use to laymen.

• Like 1

When I was in college in the early 80's in Southwest virginia, I used to go rock climbing some in the nearby mountains. One day I was going up an easy face and had both hands on a ledge above my head.  As I raised my face up even with the ledge, I saw a large timber rattler about 6" away looking right at me. Needless to say I went right back down the way I came.  Years later when I was service manager at the Deere dealership I sent one of the road techs up to a house that was on a ridge top bordering the National park. He called me from the truck (on the radio, no cell phones yet) and said he could count 9 rattle snakes from where he was in the driveway, and wasn't getting out to work on the mower.  Knowing how he felt about snakes I really couldn't say he had to, unless I wanted to lose an otherwise great tech. Another time the same guy brought a round baler in the shop that had been parked out back for a wile. He was standing on the tire taking the side cover off and a black snake struck at him from inside the baler. I swear he was in the office before the cover hit the floor.

We have several species of rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cottonmouths around here. I’d rather deal with the rattlers- they tend to let you know their there. Cottonmouths are just ornery sob’s...

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I had never seen or heard a rattler until I moved to the southwest corner of Nebraska. Dang near stepped on the first one. After that I got where I was pretty good at spotting them. Still can’t hardly hear them. 
KEEP YOUR MUFFLER ON!!

Around here I'm more likely to run across brown recluses, and like you said I've become pretty good about spotting them and figuring out where I'll probably find one

• Like 1

Cottonmouths are aggressive compared to the others from what I've seen

Copperheads tend to slink away unless they are cornered 

• Like 1

Way to many here but I have never been bit yet. You need to look more carefully than I was. I about garbed one a few years ago turning water on for a water trough. Weeds waist high I go in swinging with a shovel to make a path 2 inch ball valve on a riser. Four foot square of fence to keep wild hogs from breaking the PVC pipe. Some little critter had bared off a circle around the pipe small drip out of the valve. I leaned in to reach the valve. Took another look and a real black colored rattler coiled up sleeping on the damp dirt, on this 100 degree day. Backed away got the 22 out then line up a shot to not get the pipe too and make more work.

Rattle snakes are all to be killed anywhere near places we need to do any work. Gopher and King snakes don't make me want to be friends but I leave them be or move them father from my front and back door. I don't want to see them all the time. So far my brain always goes auto pilot on the ide part, see a snake for 1/2 second and just know if it is a rattler. Very rarely do I ever hear them rattle, but try to keep my eyes open and spot them plenty far away.

My brother in law was much braver with them than I. He dad and I where looking cows over in the summer and the deer season was on(mid August to end of Sept). Back before the 4 door pickup, so I was in the middle. BIL steps out I slide over and look down at the ground before stepping out, dam old rattler right there. I called the BIL he grabbed the shovel in back and wacked his head off.   We still hunted some good little brush pockets without seeing a buck. BIL admitted he may have missed seeing any deer as he was real busy watching where he put his feet after stepping over a snake.   

But it is the time to be looking real close before walking into big weeds. 

9 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Tye snake-3-29-21.JPG

They still have the round up?  I seem to remember it being in the neighboring town, something water,  Stillwater maybe?  but I was young and drank to much back then

• Like 1