Parts Washer Fluid ?

I saw this stuff at Tractor Supply Co.  Can it be mixed with kerosene and does it help clean parts when mixed with it ?       Crown PSC 1000 Parts Cleaner PSC1000MOS

image.png

Can't answer your question however, recently I needed parts washer fluid. I bought 2 of the 5 gal containers of Purple Power from Wally. Worked well. 

Why mix it with kerosene? Use the solvent as is. Solvent is less flammable, and less aromatics.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Farmall Nut said:

Can't answer your question however, recently I needed parts washer fluid. I bought 2 of the 5 gal containers of Purple Power from Wally. Worked well. 

Interesting.............Use Kerosene here out of habit, but it needs changed again this summer, I may try that.  

6 hours ago, Farmall Nut said:

I tried purple power and it foamed so bad I dumped it. 

13 hours ago, jobee1066 said:

Have the tsc solvent in mine as well.  Works great.  No need to mix it with anything.

X2. That's what I'm using in my home built parts washer. 

I have been  happy with Walmart sold paint thinner for general parts cleaning.  For close tolerance parts cleaning I use  99% alcohol also from Walmart pharmacy.

Carbon Tetrochloride {CARBONTET] and methyl ethyl keystone [MEK] are great if you have access.  

I've used that TSC parts cleaner going on 10 yrs. Don't care for the smell but works good. I don't mix it with anything

I built a big dip tank years ago.

Big enough for a complete engine block.

I use hot water and a few cans of Red Devil lye.

Propane burner under the tank warms things up.

Turns oil , grease and carbon into soap,the soap washes off with a garden hose.

Lye is heck on your hands, use some good gloves.(don't get it in your eyes either.)

I always thought parts washer fluid was just mineral spirits anyway? 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dell said:

i saw on you tube a guy using Tide detergent  . I"m going to try that..

Why did the homemaker wash all of her laundry in tide?

Becaud it was too darn cold out tide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, supermechanic said:

I built a big dip tank years ago.

Big enough for a complete engine block.

I use hot water and a few cans of Red Devil lye.

Propane burner under the tank warms things up.

Turns oil , grease and carbon into soap,the soap washes off with a garden hose.

Lye is heck on your hands, use some good gloves.(don't get it in your eyes either.)

Back when many people overhauled their own engines the local autoparts and repair shops cleaned many engines in a lye in very hot water bath.

Sodium Hydroxide is still available even at Walmart.

Very common household cleaner when I was a Kid.

My Grandmother made lye soap every fall when  we slaughtered the fall hog.  I had to haul in the scrap wood for the fire to render out the fat in an old cast iron wash kettle.

Just put in this morning two 5 gallon buckets of this in our parts washer. Was $18 per gallon .... Last us a year or so depending on how much we use it

IMG_20210506_113213093.jpg

On 5/6/2021 at 3:02 PM, bitty said:

Just put in this morning two 5 gallon buckets of this in our parts washer. Was $18 per gallon .... Last us a year or so depending on how much we use it

IMG_20210506_113213093.jpg

Is that stuff nonflammable? If so is it like CRC brake clean ? That releases some horrible gas I can say buy not spell when heated, as in welding or cutting the part. I always rinse with starting fluid or non chlorinated brake clean if I am. 

24 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Is that stuff nonflammable? If so is it like CRC brake clean ? That releases some horrible gas I can say buy not spell when heated, as in welding or cutting the part. I always rinse with starting fluid or non chlorinated brake clean if I am. 

It's flammable but maybe not as bad as other things. It dries pretty good when new and fairly clean yet 

Brakleen and other chlorinated solvents release or decompose into phosgene gas when exposed to intense ultraviolet radiation(think arc welding here).

Phosgene is a chemical warfare agent.

I will cause extreme discomfort even at very low concentration level in air.

If you have chlorinated solvents, best use them outside.

• Like 1

Years ago I did some work for a company that outfitted car washes and industrial cleaning products.  I bought a five gallon jug of something that smelled like citrus

I took it in the shop and replaced the diesel I had in my little red parts washer and turned the little pump on

It squirted out about a pint and stopped

Completely ate up that little cheesy pump.  

It would clean everything and strip it of everything, everything..........paint, decals, gaskets gone

When I was living in SoCal, I bought a parts cleaner from HF, and they had some water based, nature friendly cleaner for it. I put that stuff in it, and it just ate all the paint off the inside of that tank and turned it to a heavy solid rust, in about a week. Never did get to try it.