Jump to content

Pensioner's Logging Doug Fir.....!!!! beats the ""Pensioner Penitentiary""


Recommended Posts

...after  being pushed   sideways from our  Cattle      lease block....decided to crank up the Portable  Mill and  try and sell a  bunch of Douglas   Fir....given  the outrageous   price of sawn timber  in New Zealand  .

The first order of timber was for  about two cube  of 4x2's/   2x2's  and a slew of 6x1's.....delivering that tomorrow, about 80 miles away..... The Doug Fir is about 47 yrs old...but never was thinned. however, there are some good logs up on the hill

My old friend turned   80 , a few months ago.....and never want's to die in town   !!!!  .I am a mere 78 , so we had a bit of a struggle at times hauling the choker's    up the hill...as you can see from the pics, it is not exactly   lawn bowls  territory.     The 80 yr old has a long history of logging   native   NZ timber trees...and working in sawmills ....yesterday's sawmills.   He stays in (his)  caravan  up on our place, from late spring to autumn......and with his suction dredge  and relevant  wet suit etc, pulls about 5K's   worth of gold out of the river that runs through our place....most years...   

The "Mill" is   NZ made.....quite good...now about    20 yrs old....  picture of the   Caterpillar   and Mill , looking down the flats...one close up....one bit further away !!

Should perchance    @Art From Coleman  run his eyes over this......and to help bring him up to speed with his    "Caterpillar"  identification programme...The old Cat is a D6B..circa   1966 model...:)

Mike

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hats off to you chaps keep going I only have admiration for you no sunny villa retirement home for you brilliant great picture beautiful place👍

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike, what do you get per board foot, or whatever metric equivalent you may use? I'm paying .50 USD board foot for white pine, a lesser wood, but I think I'm getting a deal with current prices. Yesterday I needed a 8X8X12 and my sawyer milled it up on the spot for $45.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As always Mike enjoy hearing and see how you guys do things over there and the your nice county side. Be careful and stay safe. Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The camera usually downplays the true slope and even if it doesn’t that’s bloody steep, Douglas fir was more $ than hardwoods when I was finishing my house, hope that’s still the case, gonna have to setup up a sluice on he river so you can keep your helper in the hills

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful scenery Mike. Watch out the greenies don't catch wind of this! Probably kick up a fuss about disrupting the spotted owl nesting grounds or something. Keep up the good work! 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great pics as usual Mike. I agree with the slope in a picture not normally doing things justice. That one must have been about 90° and you fellas are about 3/4 mountain goat to keep from falling off!

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like quite an enterprise! Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.. stay safe out there. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mike newman said:

My old friend turned   80 , a few months ago.....and never want's to die in town   !!!!  .I am a mere 78

Sounds like a 158 years of experience 😃

Stay safe and stay at it Mike.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

If one of you dies on the hill side at least you would go out doing what you love!!

Reminds me of the old joke "guess who died in the woods today, doodah doodah)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Reminds me of the old joke "guess who died in the woods today, doodah doodah)

Well, Jake..that was quite helpfull........almost inspirational in fact......I weill make sure my boot laces are tied properly ...when next ' mounting '  that hill....:rolleyes:

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Well, Jake..that was quite helpfull........almost inspirational in fact......I weill make sure my boot laces are tied properly ...when next ' mounting '  that hill....:rolleyes:

Mike

Do you know the joke mike?, if not i can bring it in. Funny as ****.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There once was a lumberjack who was known as the hardest working lumberjack in the woods. Old Doolittle Dawort Deigh and his buddy Salwart Singh had a reputation and the complete respect of their coworkers for nearly 60 years. As we all know, tough lumberjacks can’t have sissy names. So many years ago, as was the tradition in the woods, old Doolittle Dawort Deigh was saddled with a nickname and had become known as simply Do Dah.

One tragic afternoon, old Do Dah and Singh were  working their trade when a tree happened to fall the wrong way. Poor old Do Dah was squished flatter than a lumberjack flapjack. His coworker and friend was distraught at the thought of breaking the news of Do Dah’s death to his elderly wife, he decided that perhaps if bad news was presented in a somewhat good way, it might soften the blow.

So that afternoon, old Do Dah’s friend and all the lumberjacks gathered on the stoop of the now widowed Mrs. Deigh and hesitantly knocked on the door. It took a few minutes for the old widow to make it across the room to the door. Finally the door creaked open, and the old widow looked out and exclaimed, Singh!  On that note Singh and the fellow lumberjacks launched into a rousing rendition of

♪ Guess who died in the woods today ♫ Do Dah, Do Dah. ♫ Guess who died in the woods today Old Do Dah Deigh. ♬

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, New Englander said:

Mike, what do you get per board foot, or whatever metric equivalent you may use? I'm paying .50 USD board foot for white pine, a lesser wood, but I think I'm getting a deal with current prices. Yesterday I needed a 8X8X12 and my sawyer milled it up on the spot for $45.

...The local NZ "Chain "    hardware retail timber outlet  quoted  NZ$10. 13   per lineal  meter for 6x2 inch...rough sawn....  $7  odd   for same lenght    4x2 inch.....$5.05    for   6x1 inch etc.......meter equals   40 inch's...so they are not giving the stuff away ...!!!  BTW...this was/is for treated Radiata   Pine...(Monteray    Pine ...).....and...those quoted prices are through our "Farmlands " card...so  for Joe Average, those prices would be at least 5% higher..possibly more....

Douglas Fir does not need any treatment, when it is used and covered   from the rain......I have yet to establish a price schedule, but I guess we hope to get  around two thirds of the quoted Radiata prices...for rough sawn.....Given the trees are "'free'' as it where..on our own place...and not withstanding the physical efort getting them out...it should be worth a few dollars , on a part time basis...

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

goat

....why, yes Todd..I believe   you have us 'nailed''....so to speak !!!...But one good thing.....my new ..made in Indiana , knee joint is just so darn good..that I never even think about it as one clambers up and slithers down  the hill.....never even notice anything  'unusual''  ....a brilliant piece of  engineering....now a couple years  since ''installation ''

'goat'  eh   uhmmm

Couple more picture.s of when we logged  the bulk  of   it with conventional    equipment...about 13   years ago.....The steep terrain can catch you out ....once in awhile !!!

Some of our river flats in  a couple of those pictures...winter..thus the grass was a bit brown....

Mike

DSC02424.JPG

DSC02422.JPG

DSC02426.JPG

DSC02427.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike - The first two photos remind me of an early Toyota Ad - Buggar

Link to post
Share on other sites

miss jacinta gets to see the lovely pics of you pair destroying vegetation🤗 

 

you pair might wind up spending quality time in a nice safe facility🤣

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@mike newman

Im sure the operator was just insuring that the head was lubricated properly.... That just isn’t the easiest method of doing so. 😊  Hopefully every man and machine was ok afterwards?  

D0C7F58F-33FD-491F-A8D1-12B309C5C2C4.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough crowd Mike😳I see your recreating hiatus from livestock operations did not last long before burying into another intensive activity, watch the body it’s great until it isn’t 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dasnake said:

There once was a lumberjack who was known as the hardest working lumberjack in the woods. Old Doolittle Dawort Deigh and his buddy Salwart Singh had a reputation and the complete respect of their coworkers for nearly 60 years. As we all know, tough lumberjacks can’t have sissy names. So many years ago, as was the tradition in the woods, old Doolittle Dawort Deigh was saddled with a nickname and had become known as simply Do Dah.

One tragic afternoon, old Do Dah and Singh were  working their trade when a tree happened to fall the wrong way. Poor old Do Dah was squished flatter than a lumberjack flapjack. His coworker and friend was distraught at the thought of breaking the news of Do Dah’s death to his elderly wife, he decided that perhaps if bad news was presented in a somewhat good way, it might soften the blow.

So that afternoon, old Do Dah’s friend and all the lumberjacks gathered on the stoop of the now widowed Mrs. Deigh and hesitantly knocked on the door. It took a few minutes for the old widow to make it across the room to the door. Finally the door creaked open, and the old widow looked out and exclaimed, Singh!  On that note Singh and the fellow lumberjacks launched into a rousing rendition of

♪ Guess who died in the woods today ♫ Do Dah, Do Dah. ♫ Guess who died in the woods today Old Do Dah Deigh. ♬

 

Ol' Jerry Clower took a run at that joke, Jake😆

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Reminds me of the old joke "guess who died in the woods today, doodah doodah)

I heard the lake version too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...