Messick's going BIG!

hobbyfarm

Any one else see Messick's is building a new facility from the ground up?  Details are sketchy online but it looks like several hundred thousand square feet under one roof.  I'm going to guess it will be the largest dealer facility in the north east.

A news article indicates it will be a replacement for an existing facility.  The Case IH regional dealer in NY just built a replacement location that will net one less location in the Southern Tier.  Maybe the same thing for Messick?  The former SC Hansen location in Hornell, NY was quite outdated when purchased by Monroe Tractor several years ago and never seemed to have much activity when driving by.  The other location on Ithaca Rd out side of Horseheads, NY did both AG and Industrial.  The new location is near I-390 NW of the Corning, NY area.  I suspect as the number of farmers gets to be fewer that we will see more of these revisions by dealers.

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

Any one else see Messick's is building a new facility from the ground up?  Details are sketchy online but it looks like several hundred thousand square feet under one roof.  I'm going to guess it will be the largest dealer facility in the north east.

Where is it going?  Sure wish they had one closer to me.................

33 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Where is it going?  Sure wish they had one closer to me.................

I think about 3 miles east from their current location on RT 283 between mt joy and Elizabethtown.  This will replace their flagship store.  They talk about it in their spring sales flyer.  If you get Lancaster farming the flyer was in there this week.  They say they have outgrown their current location.  I have had good experiences with them.  I can't imagine their sales volume.

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

I think about 3 miles east from their current location on RT 283 between mt joy and Elizabethtown.  This will replace their flagship store.  They talk about it in their spring sales flyer.  If you get Lancaster farming the flyer was in there this week.  They say they have outgrown their current location.  I have had good experiences with them.  I can't imagine their sales volume.

Interesting, that building isn't that old there is it?  

Yes, I have been buying from them exclusively now for a number of years, used to buy a bunch from Hoober's, but for various reasons haven't for a long while.  

I buy most of my stuff from them as two of their stores are close by. They will really help you find parts that are not typically on the shelf. I have gone to Hoober a few times but their store is almost an hour away in Chambersburg. Messicks to me seems more helpful.   The new facility is going to be 350,000 sq feet, 3 times larger than the current flagship store.

I used to live weekdays in the hotel next to there, when I was working on a project in PA. Was a Holiday Inn at the time. I'd go through the yard just to deal with the cabin fever. I really like them. I buy parts for pickup when I know I'm going through, as an excuse to stop in.

They have the best website in the business and the physical facility is top notch as well.

3 hours ago, TomH said:

I buy most of my stuff from them as two of their stores are close by. They will really help you find parts that are not typically on the shelf. I have gone to Hoober a few times but their store is almost an hour away in Chambersburg. Messicks to me seems more helpful.   The new facility is going to be 350,000 sq feet, 3 times larger than the current flagship store.

Unusual to be increasing by a factor of 3.  It is pretty hard to get brick and mortar to pay for itself ordinarily.  Not to be a negative Ned but it just seems something more is afoot.  As long as it benefits the customers.  

24 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Unusual to be increasing by a factor of 3.  It is pretty hard to get brick and mortar to pay for itself ordinarily.  Not to be a negative Ned but it just seems something more is afoot.  As long as it benefits the customers.  

The internet sales is unbelieveable.........Guy I normally talk to(If I have to, because most times I can order exactly what I need without the need to do so) told me they ship parts world wide, because of the internet site.  I never seen it for myself, but was told the parts warehouses that aren't on the site there are big by themselves, maybe they are using the one they are moving from as a warehouse, its a good location in and out off the highway right there.  

9 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

The internet sales is unbelieveable.........Guy I normally talk to(If I have to, because most times I can order exactly what I need without the need to do so) told me they ship parts world wide, because of the internet site.  I never seen it for myself, but was told the parts warehouses that aren't on the site there are big by themselves, maybe they are using the one they are moving from as a warehouse, its a good location in and out off the highway right there.  

Up here in NY it is almost common knowledge that the dealers around here are having their lunch taken from them in terms of losing parts sales to other out of state dealers.  My understanding is that at least in the case of .....Case ...IH  that the dealer gets to recoup his profit based on sales to zip code.  I can't speak exactly as to Messick but if you are paying most of your profit to the area dealer of your customer that you wind up as an under paid middle man.  Perhaps it is possible that Messick has tapped a market such as outside the US that was underserved with no representative in that market.  In general as to expansion when a new facility is built there is more to it than what you see in terms of a one for one "transaction."  It usually means a contraction overall with square footage of a facility to serve more customers along with labor.  It seems that about any dealership I see around is trying to do more with less.  Word in the wind is that each color around here is looking to perhaps consolidate with fewer operating locations.  As a said before as long as the customers are getting the best of service not much else matters.  

Goes to show what smart advertising can do.

Anyone who watches onelonelyfarmer on YouTube may remember when he got his first Krone baler. It had been demo'd and showed up a mess. After they seen his video, the whole sales team showed up with catered lunch, washed & waxed the baler and made some custom decals of his channel logo that they installed on the sides. Have to admit I was impressed. 

18 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Goes to show what smart advertising can do.

Anyone who watches onelonelyfarmer on YouTube may remember when he got his first Krone baler. It had been demo'd and showed up a mess. After they seen his video, the whole sales team showed up with catered lunch, washed & waxed the baler and made some custom decals of his channel logo that they installed on the sides. Have to admit I was impressed. 

It kind of infuriated me because a guy that doesn't have 100,000 youtube subscribers isn't going to receive that kind of treatment or anything even remotely close to that. They went way overboard and overcompensated simply because there were a lot of people watching. You woudn't even get a simple, "We're sorry," out of them otherwise. More like, "Well, you've got a pressure washer, don't you?"

Of course the viewers are gullible, and they expect if they have a problem, they'll get the whole crew coming out to their farm to put on a big party for them.

They wouldn't take back the very expensive air seat control valve I bought from them and turned out not needing. I wasn't happy about it. Where's my party? Oh yeah, I don't have 100,000 subscribers on youtube.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

It kind of infuriated me because a guy that doesn't have 100,000 youtube subscribers isn't going to receive that kind of treatment or anything even remotely close to that. They went way overboard and overcompensated simply because there were a lot of people watching. You woudn't even get a simple, "We're sorry," out of them otherwise. More like, "Well, you've got a pressure washer, don't you?"

Of course the viewers are gullible, and they expect if they have a problem, they'll get the whole crew coming out to their farm to put on a big party for them.

They wouldn't take back the very expensive air seat control valve I bought from them and turned out not needing. I wasn't happy about it. Where's my party? Oh yeah, I don't have 100,000 subscribers on youtube.

I completely agree with you, but you have to admit for the average sheeple out there it was a wise chunk of advertising, which was my intended point. And the fact they are building a 350k sqft facility shows it must work. 

3 minutes ago, Cattech said:

I completely agree with you, but you have to admit for the average sheeple out there it was a wise chunk of advertising, which was my intended point. And the fact they are building a 350k sqft facility shows it must work. 

One lonely farmer is a Messick customer?  Not sure what you are trying to say here?  We do not know the sales distribution of parts for Messick so all we can do is guess myself included.  

One nice thing with Messick's is they have trucks running delivery routes.  I'm 45 minutes maybe even an hour from them but for $10 they will deliver anything I order using a company funded truck and driver.  I like to support Zimmerman's but it is hard to beat Messick's delivery service on non essentials.

While I haven't read the details yet, my understanding that the building is going to be around mid-300K square feet when complete.  The new location is located a couple exits closer to Lancaster at the Espenshade Road exit.

One Lonely Farmer is generally located in a dealer desert.  Hoober's, Messick's, and Deer Country do/did a lot of business in NJ.

If I was a dealer, I would come in on machine quotes sky high just to not have to deal with that wing nut in NJ......................The local guys who haul mulch hay all scratch their heads when it comes to him, because the numbers don't work, everyone wonders what the secret is.  They sell mulch to get rid of material that is no good for nothing else, not growing it for only mulch.  

Honestly, I would wager while Messicks sales in Ag are steady or dropping, I would guess in the homeowner world with Kubota things are going nuts, and that where they are located is probably the future.  With that said, I don't know if anyone from Messicks read on here, but I know for a fact the owners do read agtalk and do care about customers and perception on products.  

Messick's has successfully made the pivot to e-commerce.  Messick's is not alone, but it is still very rare.  The power of 80K YouTube subscribers is signficant.  The footprint and scale of some of these internet-savvy dealers would blow your mind.

I forget how many they employ but it is a significant number.  They are in NJ every day for service last I talked to one of the service guys.  I used to live off I78 and they would stop on the way to or from NJ.

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

If I was a dealer, I would come in on machine quotes sky high just to not have to deal with that wing nut in NJ......................The local guys who haul mulch hay all scratch their heads when it comes to him, because the numbers don't work, everyone wonders what the secret is.  They sell mulch to get rid of material that is no good for nothing else, not growing it for only mulch.  

Honestly, I would wager while Messicks sales in Ag are steady or dropping, I would guess in the homeowner world with Kubota things are going nuts, and that where they are located is probably the future.  With that said, I don't know if anyone from Messicks read on here, but I know for a fact the owners do read agtalk and do care about customers and perception on products.  

Think you are spot on with the Kubota market.  Kubota skid steers and mini excavators are coming on strong to.  Most Kubota compact owners I see gently use their stuff and will pay to have dealer service.  I'll bet they have 1000s and 1000s of units out there that they service off a truck.

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

X2 on his rants. I saw one of his videos that he was griping about the Eckroth dealership I have dealt with and he was complaining they didn't have spray tips for his sprayer in stock. I am betting that there is multiple tips available depending on what application rate, what material, etc that they can't have every size in stock. Pretty sure our sprayer has somewhere around 56 tips for it .

I have nothing bad to say about the dealership from working with them on a few things

I thought it said the size but didn't see it this time

IMG_20210503_184004537.jpg

I cant stand OneLonelyFarmer.  Literally the biggest douchecanoe on the planet.  Sad thing is such a jerk can have such a large following.  

I too have wondered about his mulch business being profitable, but it sounds like he just deals in crazy volume.  Maybe when you rent crap patches in jersey cheap and go down south n bale straw as a waste product theres a little money to be made.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I cant stand OneLonelyFarmer.  Literally the biggest douchecanoe on the planet.  Sad thing is such a jerk can have such a large following.  

I too have wondered about his mulch business being profitable, but it sounds like he just deals in crazy volume.  Maybe when you rent crap patches in jersey cheap and go down south n bale straw as a waste product theres a little money to be made.  

I watch every day...........can't beat it for a laugh when I am here shoving my face with eggs for breakfast.  Local guys think there is more to it, and by that I don't mean agriculture..............We had a local guy here with cattle all over the place, I knew a bunch for fed for him, turned out when you start with money, 4 legs is a good place to hide it;)

Like I said, guys here dump mulch at those same places, they take that down, haul equipment back for the local equipment salvage yard.............Without the back haul, there isn't much there to make, granted he is closer, but still is there enough to buy new balers/SP discbines/fairly new tractors?????  Um, well, doesn't add up with my math, but I didn't get common core;)

Best one was the 250+ bu/acre corn going through a 6 row machine at MACH I....................I ran corn that yeilded that through acouple 6 row machines and know 2 things, you don't do such a thing fast......................and you sure as heck don't go far before the bin was full.   I didn't see either happening there:lol: