Thinking about an electric mower ??

Well of course.. Using a generator in the back yard is much cheaper than 3500 feet of extension cord, plus you can use the generator to power the mosquito zapper when you are done with the lawn.. And then you still have the generator. Doesn't everyone do it like that??

• Haha 2

I have all the parts to make that work except the Lovely Lady!

Our genset is a Honda EV4010 water cooled 2 cylinder 360 CC that is intended for an RV

On the real side I have been used a corded 115V mower for several years now. The worst issue is the power cord. I keep 100 feet of power cord on a spool. Still a pain to work with. BUT that mower has consistently started every time with any fuel that comes down the cord.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I dunno, I’m with ole, fine young lady like that, mowing grass wouldn’t be on my list, at my age playing pinochle would be a plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

If I put a generator on the back of my electric golf cart to run the charger is it still carbon neutral when I have it in gear? 

• Haha 5

A friend who has a cabin in the woods with just a little grass has an electric mower with a wheel barrow and a generator and a wife......That guy kinda looks like George, but that aint Georges wife...... Hmmmm.😊

• Haha 4

About 1980, the next door neighbor came up with an Alice-Chalmers electric lawn tractor....

Wish I had been smart enough to nab that at his estate sale....

Mike

• Like 3

Way ahead of all of you................My grandfather and old man had electric garden tractors from General Electric way back in the 70's.............Sold them and all the attachments in the mid-90's.  I sure wish they had kept them, they were neat, and with the batteries available now, they would really work, they actually worked well for the time, but the deep cycle batteries have come a long way since.  

GE electrak electric garden tractor - Posts | Facebook

• Like 1

Everything comes back around! 

I would love to have a Electrac, or the wheel horse version. 

Speaking of conversions, a wheel horse would be the easiest garden tractor to modify. My BIL had a wheel horse I had thought of converting, but he scrapped it before I could get it. I had too many irons in fire at the time.

• Like 1

Lawmakers in California Pushing to Ban Sale of Leaf Blowers, Lawn Mowers and gas-powered small off-road engine equipment in the state.

So not only do they want disarm you but want to take your ability away to make up for the short comings of their green grid

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
24 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Lawmakers in California Pushing to Ban Sale of Leaf Blowers, Lawn Mowers and gas-powered small off-road engine equipment in the state.

I seen that too. Wonder how many yards and parks won't get mowed or taken care of if that passes.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

So not only do they want disarm you but want to take your ability away to make up for the short comings of their green grid

I spend a lot of time in CA. Every building and every product sold has a warning that it has ingredients "known to the state of California" to cause cancer. The warning is so ubiquitous that it's meaningless.

It's been CA that pushed no mixture adjustment on small engines.

My gas powered weed wacker was exciting the nerves in my elbow causing a tremor after a few minutes of use. One of our guys who lives in FL on a small lot suggested the EGO battery weed wacker. I said no, it'll never do my place. He replied that he had their mower and leaf blower as well and that the battery life was super, so I bought the weed wacker.

The thing is great! Battery lasts and lasts and no more tremor. I liked it so much I bought the leaf blower. I'd been using my old Solo mist blower from when I was still growing and was going to buy a real blower. I love the EGO one. It's quiet although noise isn't a problem, and it's powerful. I find new uses all the time. No more sweeping out the shop or hangar, just blow it out. The fact that it's ready to go without starting it is what I like. Instead of dragging an air hose to blow something off I'll just use that.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

3F217135-40B2-4D44-9DE7-42024A4B0C41.png

The General Electric ELECTRAC started production in 1969.  IH also made a battery version of the fiberglass BATHTUB lawn mower.  Maybe Mr.  PLOW has info on when IH started building/selling them.  I don't remember anything in a book by Hank Will or Ken Updike about them.

MY Father-in-law bought a gas powered version of that Deere mower. He was head of the Manufacturing Engineering Dept at the biggest Deere Quad-Cities plant.  After 3-4 months and two trips back to the dealer he went back to his push lawn mower.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mikem said:

About 1980, the next door neighbor came up with an Alice-Chalmers electric lawn tractor....

Wish I had been smart enough to nab that at his estate sale....

Mike

I seen an electric Alice-Chalmers lawn tractor in Mansfield, SD years ago.

I wish I had bought that.

If I remember, it had four 6V batteries in it.

• Like 1

There is a battery operated cub cadet or international ride on lawn mower at the farm. It had sat in same place since the early 80s. Ihc dealer gave it to dad to get rid of it. There was a switch or something bad on it. I remember riding it around but the mower wouldn’t turn on. I think it was sold or demoed then sat

• Like 1

Lol

Locally the husqu dealer has sold several of the robot mowers.  Town got one and a few commercial biz with some home owners.  0 complaints buddywho owns shop says.  80 to 90% of shop work is bad gas issues so he says this is going to have to work.  But the shop maybe getting quiet if they sell more electric stuff.  Friend got a Milwaukee 18v chainsaw.  12" iirc..she loves it.  Says she just set on her lap mowing their big yard and quick nips off anything in her path.  Her husband tosses in pickup and uses it for small construction repair things.  I been meaning to see $$ they are

• Like 1
14 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Way ahead of all of you................My grandfather and old man had electric garden tractors from General Electric way back in the 70's.............Sold them and all the attachments in the mid-90's.  I sure wish they had kept them, they were neat, and with the batteries available now, they would really work, they actually worked well for the time, but the deep cycle batteries have come a long way since.  

GE electrak electric garden tractor - Posts | Facebook

I have a co-worker that still runs his ElecTrac.  He managed to score a near-new mower deck a week or so ago since his old one looked like swiss cheese.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

I have a co-worker that still runs his ElecTrac.  He managed to score a near-new mower deck a week or so ago since his old one looked like swiss cheese.

I know where one is at still in use..............I would like to get my hands on it, but guys who have them don't let them go.  I sure wish we still had the E15 my pap bought new, my dad later had about all the attachments other than the loader and fork lift................We put alot of hours on the rototiller, that thing was a beast.  Opened up the driveway for years in the winter with the snowblower on it, one thing about it, it always started:P  Those front mount decks made a noise when working I will never forget.........still dream about it.  Had a E12 and a E20, but they seemed to have more issues than the 15, especially the 20 with the go pedal.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, New Englander said:

I spend a lot of time in CA. Every building and every product sold has a warning that it has ingredients "known to the state of California" to cause cancer. The warning is so ubiquitous that it's meaningless.

It's been CA that pushed no mixture adjustment on small engines.

My gas powered weed wacker was exciting the nerves in my elbow causing a tremor after a few minutes of use. One of our guys who lives in FL on a small lot suggested the EGO battery weed wacker. I said no, it'll never do my place. He replied that he had their mower and leaf blower as well and that the battery life was super, so I bought the weed wacker.

The thing is great! Battery lasts and lasts and no more tremor. I liked it so much I bought the leaf blower. I'd been using my old Solo mist blower from when I was still growing and was going to buy a real blower. I love the EGO one. It's quiet although noise isn't a problem, and it's powerful. I find new uses all the time. No more sweeping out the shop or hangar, just blow it out. The fact that it's ready to go without starting it is what I like. Instead of dragging an air hose to blow something off I'll just use that.

I bought an Echo battery blower a couple years ago, after I demo'ed one.  I love that thing!  Most of the jobs I use it for are less than 5 minutes, things I wouldn't bother starting a gas engine for.  Just pick it up and go!  I'd never be without one now.  Works great to clean off the square baler or "encourage" a brush pile to burn, too.

I would seriously consider a battery weedeater, to use when I mow around the house.  I think I'd still have to have a gas one for under fences, around barns, and such, but for 10 minutes around the yard, I'd really like the battery.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I seen an electric Alice-Chalmers lawn tractor in Mansfield, SD years ago.

I wish I had bought that.

If I remember, it had four 6V batteries in it.

I might know where one is at if your serious I can ask more questions.