Oil Filter Base Leak, 400 Series Engine

Is there some secret to getting this to seal up?  The 1466 had a pretty bad leak  between the mount and the engine block, so I took the base off and sanded it flat (it was very warped).  Called the dealer and was told that the gasket is NLA.  I used Loctite 515, laid a bead around each of the ports, and remounted it.  Let it dry for a couple days.  After 4 hours of run time, I have an external leak at the mount that is worse than it was before.  Just wondering if there is a different product or procedure I should be using?

Thanks!

Chad

image.thumb.png.6435e0f23ed6728ee1b4aa8deae03130.png

5 hours ago, chadd said:

Is there some secret to getting this to seal up?  The 1466 had a pretty bad leak  between the mount and the engine block, so I took the base off and sanded it flat (it was very warped).  Called the dealer and was told that the gasket is NLA.  I used Loctite 515, laid a bead around each of the ports, and remounted it.  Let it dry for a couple days.  After 4 hours of run time, I have an external leak at the mount that is worse than it was before.  Just wondering if there is a different product or procedure I should be using?

Thanks!

Chad

image.thumb.png.6435e0f23ed6728ee1b4aa8deae03130.png

I had to change that gasket on my 1460 afew years ago  and found out you couldn't buy it separately only in a complete gasket set , I got some gasket stock material and made my own I used sealer on it as well problem solved never leaked at all

45 minutes ago, pirlbeck said:

The gasket is available from A&I

Making it is quicker and cheaper and also in the heat of harvest can't wait that long for shipping 

34 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

You also need a dab of 515 on the bolts, 3 of them go thru to the crankcase and could leak down the threads. 

That is good information.  I should've looked at it closer...  I'll be sure to do that.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

Making it is quicker and cheaper and also in the heat of harvest can't wait that long for shipping 

1 hour ago, pirlbeck said:

The gasket is available from A&I

I did buy the gasket, but I was hoping not to have to wait for it.  I have a bunch of land I need to work yet unfortunately...  Thanks for the info!

43 minutes ago, Haywire said:

I’ve had a base with a hairline crack in it

I'll take a look at it again when I get it off.  I didn't see anything last time, but it could've cracked when I tightened it down.  I'll take a look at it when I get it off.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, tractorholic said:

Have you checked with International trucks? I thought I was told you could get the gasket from them.

If the one I got doesn't work out, I'll give them a try.  Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

You also need a dab of 515 on the bolts, 3 of them go thru to the crankcase and could leak down the threads. 

^^^That's usually the missing step to a successful repair. 

Had one that was cracked also. Local bone yard had one and made my gasket along with 515 sealant