A prior post got me thinking about picking up rocks.  In the 90s  we picked up a lot that were mostly limestone but there was a lot of small black granite ones. We would leave the really small ones as we did not do beans but  just below soft ball size and up would pick. One day picking corn with the 315, we mostly did small grains and picked/chopped most of the corn, I picked up a half ear sized one and shoved a rasp and the support back up into the cylinder. I broke two 60 H chains after stretching them out. Spent three or four day straitening every thing back after milking. We also ran a G gleaner but something like that would just pop the door. The  Gleaner broke down  and I finished the last 80 acres with the 315 when repaired. What size do you pick up and does a rotor get damaged as bad as a rasp bar  cylinder combine? I have heard people roll the fields shoving them back in is that popular now?

I basically pick up everything I see down to gravel size. Don't have near as many rocks as some of you. Have 5 or 6 hot spots I check each spring. 

Don't have a single rock on the farm..........they are all married with huge families.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

We switched to not ill and eventually got a Mandako 30' roller . Have hardly picked a rock since. Used to be able to park the 1840 get out and fill up the bucket without moving it at all. Sandstone is the worst we have it can move the knives back in the chopper if you get one in the hay head or corn head it will bend lots of expensive stuff

• Like 1

Back to your question, my axial flows are able to pass up to a tennis ball size with minimal to no damage due to the wider threshing clearance where my 915 and dads 503 were much tighter in the concave, there fore damage came with  any rock small enough to enter between concave and cylinder. Typically the proper set up on a conventional combine was a wider opening in front/tighter in rear resulting in much damage if a rock is ingested. In very rocky fields we used to close the front down to keep the rocks just "bouncing" in front of the cylinder/concave rather than getting between them, this prevented major damage. I have beater machines except for my 2188 where i have removed the stationary knives. A chopper with them in will not like rocks. I also have rock traps on all my axial flows, very good protection

Some of you guys that pick every rock you see. I present you with the Reichow challenge. I pick a field for a field for you to pick clean. We'd like it done in a reasonable amount of time. Get it picked clean in the allocated time without having a nervous breakdown or going insane. You would be tougher than any of us.

The first group of 3 pictures are of part of a fencerow we removed this spring. These are rocks left by a company that came in and paid us for our stone and hauled them away. That also wasn't the full fencerow. We ran out of time finishing cutting the trees down for wood this spring so there us a little bit more to go yet. 4 days worth of picking there.

The last 2 pictures are of my Uncle's farm we work. Has a gravel pit on part of it. Has so many stones that they separate the excess when making gravel and haul it to other gravel pits where there aren't so many. The last pic is a soil profile pic of my Uncle's farm where they were digging. 

Anyone who wants to pick rock. Please come and tell your friends. 

And yes we run a culipacker to push the smaller rocks back down in wheat, hay,oats and soybeans. Times where you're running stuff right on the ground. 

20210324_151458.jpg

20210324_151443.jpg

20210324_143324.jpg

20190403_142609.jpg

20190403_142604.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

• Confused 1
35 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Some of you guys that pick every rock you see. I present you with the Reichow challenge. I pick a field for a field for you to pick clean. We'd like it done in a reasonable amount of time. Get it picked clean in the allocated time without having a nervous breakdown or going insane. You would be tougher than any of us.

The first group of 3 pictures are of part of a fencerow we removed this spring. These are rocks left by a company that came in and paid us for our stone and hauled them away. That also wasn't the full fencerow. We ran out of time finishing cutting the trees down for wood this spring so there us a little bit more to go yet. 4 days worth of picking there.

The last 2 pictures are of my Uncle's farm we work. Has a gravel pit on part of it. Has so many stones that they separate the excess when making gravel and haul it to other gravel pits where there aren't so many. The last pic is a soil profile pic of my Uncle's farm where they were digging. 

And yes we run a culipacker to push the smaller rocks back down in wheat, hay,oats and soybeans. Times where you're running stuff right on the ground. 

20210324_151458.jpg

20210324_151443.jpg

20210324_143324.jpg

20190403_142609.jpg

20190403_142604.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

I certainly don't envy you.

The rocks I'm dealing with really aren't a big deal, couple of hours every spring keeps them cleaned up.

Do mostly no-til but the frost still pushes some up.

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

20210324_151458.jpg

20210324_151443.jpg

20210324_143324.jpg

20190403_142609.jpg

20190403_142604.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

What are you growing and what type of soil is that classified as? 

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

IMG_2303.jpg

What is your soil type?  It looks like a Waumbeck or Colton Loam that I am familiar with.  I presume that this is Glacial Till and/or Glacial Outwash.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

What are you growing and what type of soil is that classified as? 

Field Corn, Soybeans, Soft Red Wheat, Oats, Hay. ( Alfalfa, grass, etc).

Soil type? It changes as you cross the field. You can start out in a Loam, get into some clay, transition into loam with cobblestone in it. Go to pure sand and anything in between. I call it Heinz 57 soil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We grow a good rock crop here too. Doesnt matter how many you pick up always more popping up. Most prominent in the ditches seem to be busch light cans. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Picking stone was part of living when I was a kid... “dad i’m bored” go pick stone 

dad im hungry.... dinner will he ready after you have picked a bucket of stone..

dad i  too sick to go to school.... good you can stay here and pick stone. 

dad i shut my finger in the door.... picking stone will make it feel better.. 

my friends grandfather had an IH 175 track loader. Put it in low and let it idle, hop off and start picking... fill a couple buckets on that and you know you have done something. 

• Like 2

I remember when I was a kid a city guy asking my Dad why we were Harvesting the rocks.....

Not trying to rub it in to you rock pickers, but in my part of Iowa, the only way to get a rock is to go somewhere and buy one. The only rocks I have ever picked were the ones I picked while on vacation to bring home for the wife's flower gardens.

Dad had a well drilled back in about 1960 or so...... 80 feet or so before they hit water, and the only thing between the grass on top and the water below was 80 feet of dirt.  

7 hours ago, dads706 said:

Not trying to rub it in to you rock pickers, but in my part of Iowa, the only way to get a rock is to go somewhere and buy one. The only rocks I have ever picked were the ones I picked while on vacation to bring home for the wife's flower gardens.

Dad had a well drilled back in about 1960 or so...... 80 feet or so before they hit water, and the only thing between the grass on top and the water below was 80 feet of dirt.  

If you ever need more for the flower beds. Drop down my way. I'll let you have all you want. 

We have rocks!

A local farmer put a rock board on his flat bed hay trailer.

The board had a hole in it that was sized by this college educated farmer.

He, or the help, would pick the rock and put it on the board.

If the rock fell through, he left it in the field.

If it did not fall through, it went on the flat bed.

Then you went to the rock pile and threw the rock off the flat bed onto the pile.

All kinds of fun?

Dad bought 40 acres of native pasture in about 1968.

We broke that sod with a 460 diesel and a 3-16 IH plow with the trip hitch.

It had so many rock that I lost the plow 30 times in one round.

I complained to Dad who told me I could pick rock if plowing was to much for me.

I went back to plowing.

These were in the creek, moved there years ago. Had they been about six feet further I wouldn't have known about them. I think they are big enough to have some value as 'Landscape' rocks. Maybe sell or maybe use the big one in the front yard, who knows?

IMG_0952.JPG

Anyone use a rock rake or rock picker?

We will use the rock rake to windrow them and then use a rock bucket on a skidsteer to sort the windrow.  Works pretty good.

my son was criticizing my progress(lack of) when rockpicking 

so instead of dumping in random spots , i decided to build one pile 

any complaints stopped as the pile grew🤗

rockpile.jpg

• Haha 1

"In my part of Iowa if you want a rock you have to buy one".......................Another one added to my enemies list that has nothing to do with a flow rater with a comment like that!

• Haha 2