Ford 3.5 eco boost

Anyone got one? How do you like it and have you had trouble? 

I bought my wife a 2016 expedition EL back in January. It had 81k on it. 4,000 miles later it's missing a rod or two and a chunk out of the side of the block. Before I bought this little dual turbo monster I did pretty extensive research online, and found very little unsatisfied people. Sure there was some turbo failures etc especially on early models, which to me is to be expected. So I bought the latest model I could get before body change hoping for the best. Well it didn't pan out for me. 98 days into my 90 day warranty and 1,000 miles over I'm sunk. $12,000 for the engine ?. Dont try to sell me on extended warranty I got burned pretty hard once and I'd rather roll the dice, for the first time in years it might of actually paid off buying it. Anyway, I talk to mechanics and either get out of them that they are great motors, or just the opposite from non Ford lovers. It seems the haters have very little evidence backing their conclusions. They use this in thousands and thousands of vehicles. The F150 is still best seller. I used to be all Ford until the Triton came along then I got out. The first ford I've bought in 15 years got me. Oh well

I think you might have got unlucky. I haven't heard any bad about them and I'm a Chevy guy. Friend of mine has one in a F150 and runs the crap out of it. Only problem he had was plugged cats that some somehow succumbed to a sawzall........

• Haha 1

FWIW my route truck sales guy had one and was very unhappy with it.  Same year too.  I recall a engine and several turbo issues.  Dumped it and went back to his 250 mile duramax pick-up  Sorry for your troubles

My friends daughter bought a 150 lease return with one in it, had it about a year and in the 30k mileage range when one of the (3?) timing chains let loose, it totally grenaded the block. It was covered under warranty but took them a month or 2 to get her back in it. Don’t know if that is a common issue or a fluke. 

2010 Sho 3.5 eco boost. 126000 and counting.  So far so good. I will say it seems to me it's set up to pull hardest under a moderate to heavy load at app. 2000 to 3500 or 4000 rpm. If I flat floor it or nearly so it makes a lot of noise but imo doesn't pull as hard in upper rpm. 

The 3.5 EcoBoost is also known to have timing chain and cam phaser issues. My Dad bought a 2012 F150 in 2019 and we soon found out why it was traded. After some negotiating with the dealer they fixed it at no charge to us.  

Got a 12 and a 14, 150,000 trouble free on the 12 and 90,000 on the 14 nothing but oil changes. And keep it changed at 4,000 miles and won’t have issues with the phasers. 

• Thanks 1

Exactly. We’ve had three.  111k on the oldest, (‘11) all 3.5’s, no issues. Have had three new diesels too,(‘12-19)  Wish I could say the same for them. Driving empty or towing a trailer under 5000 pounds, the eco-boost will eat the big popular diesels alive

Sorry to hear about your troubles nothing worse than that on a used truck or car

The problem with turbo or blown gas engines is they like high octane fuel

If you want to run regular unleaded stick with a naturally asperated engine with lower compression a lot of Acura NA motors require premium fuel

If you have to run premium fuel you might as well have the diesel. 

• Like 2

Just now, jeeper61 said:

The problem with turbo or blown gas engines is they like high octane fuel

If you want to run regular unleaded stick with a naturally asperated engine with lower compression a lot of Acura NA motors require premium fuel

If you have to run premium fuel you might as well have the diesel. 

Maybe true.  But I have a 2013 F150 with the 3.5 that has 116,000 miles, have always run 87 octane 10% ethanol.

• Thanks 1

Dad had a '12, put 130k on it.  No issues.  Great pulling engine.  Changed oil every 5k, ran a tank of 87 100% about every 4th or 5th tank.  He also had a '14 Navigator with the EcoBoost.  No issues but he didn't have it as long, maybe 60 or 70k miles.  

Even with knock sensors and timing retard my GM 6.0 V8 will knock when pulling a heavy trailers with 87 the solution is to run premium fuel when pulling

Ever seen a piston in an engine that had a lot of detonation?

I think the EB is one of those "no middle road" stories. Either you have nothing but good luck or nothing but bad. We have tons of them at work running just fine well past 200k, yet a buddy of mine was on his 3rd engine at 120k. It's probably all in the useage and maintenance.

I heard a good EB description a while back, you can have Eco or you can have Boost, but the two don't ever happen at the same time.

My fear of the things is repair cost. You could buy 3-4 Chev LS long blocks for the price of a 3.5 EB.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cattech said:

I heard a good EB description a while back, you can have Eco or you can have Boost, but the two don't ever happen at the same time.

I love this description.  I don't pull a trailer often, but when I do it has all kinds of power, I think more than my Dad's F350 with the 6.2.  However, when pulling and generating that power it is no longer economical.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cattech said:

My fear of the things is repair cost. You could buy 3-4 Chev LS long blocks for the price of a 3.5 EB.

Exactttttly.  All that stuff is fun and games until until it let's loose.  Yeah, your 3.5 might leave my GM 5.3/6.0 in the dust, but mine is pretty much guaranteed to last the life if the truck then some, and if it does break, it's easy and cheaper to replace. 

• Like 5

I have a 2016 f150 with the 3.5 and its got 105,000 on it trouble free. I pull a '33 5th wheel camper with it too. I dont got very far but we have plenty of hills where i do pull it. Plenty of power. Wife has a 2014 explorer sport with a 3.5 and 80,000 on it. Had fuel line issues and 1 rear ac line go bad but it cost me 100$ due to the warranty. Son had a 2012 3.5 which had 180,000 on it when he sold it. Pulled same camper as i do. Broke 1 leaf spring but the engine was trouble free. I think you bought an abused vehicle or just got unlucky. Sorry bud. All that said we have had exceptional luck with tritons too. Dad has 2 and i have 1. 

Having a bad injector on a gas turbo motor will quickly cause a big issue were a NA motor will likely survive a real lean condition.

If have a few gas turbo motors in some of my toys and I can tell you when it all goes wrong it can cause a lot damage quickly.   

I have one of the first 3.5 (2011) Bought it used. I have a feeling the timing chain may have been done before I bought, you will hear the chain rattle on start up if it's bad. It had the intercooler updates and the weep hole was already drilled when I bought it ? 

I had the manifold bolts break on one side and blow exhaust gasket. That has been the only $$ repair. $100 in parts.....labor however. 

They like clean oil and good plugs gapped correctly.

Pulls hard and with limited slip you have to keep a light foot.   

I'm currently driving a 2019 F150 3.5L EB after a run of 5.0L Coyotes.  EB pulls strong at 2000 to 4000 rpm as stated above and the ECO goes away the second the Boost is applied.  5.0 V8 pulled about as well, but wound out at 5000 rpm to do it, EB just pulls like a locomotive around 2700.

I'm running Mobile 1 oil on 5k change intervals and dump a charge of Gumout FI cleaner in the tank at every oil change (I do that with all my vehicles). 

We'll see how it holds up, but so far I am very pleased with it...... doesn't sound as nice as the V8 under load, but you can pick up a little turbo whistle with the windows down ???

7 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

I'm currently driving a 2019 F150 3.5L EB after a run of 5.0L Coyotes.  EB pulls strong at 2000 to 4000 rpm as stated above and the ECO goes away the second the Boost is applied.  5.0 V8 pulled about as well, but wound out at 5000 rpm to do it, EB just pulls like a locomotive around 2700.

I'm running Mobile 1 oil on 5k change intervals and dump a charge of Gumout FI cleaner in the tank at every oil change (I do that with all my vehicles). 

We'll see how it holds up, but so far I am very pleased with it...... doesn't sound as nice as the V8 under load, but you can pick up a little turbo whistle with the windows down ???

Yes..you have have Eco or Boost but not both at the same time.  I tow travel trailer & stock trailer, nice cruising 1800 RPM in 6th with power on tap and no noise. 

18 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Have never ran premium or high octane nor does it call for it unless I'm mistaken.

They run on 87 all day, I burn that 99% of the time.  My manual recommends premium if you are towing near the max limit.  I towed camper a few trips burning 91 (highest here) and didn't notice a difference, but I'm not near the tow limit. 

• Like 1

Our expedition EL is a big vehicle. 6" longer than a suburban I think. We had a Tahoe LTZ before that. I like the Ford overall better. It drives better, rides better,has more power, gets better fuel mileage, and is just more comfortable to me. I understand the Tahoe is on a truck chassis and probably will be more robust in the end. Ours had air suspension and still rode worse than the ford. The 5.3 was basically a gas guzzling gutless turd. That thing got about 15 on the highway and 12 town  with the lower gears I had. The ford in town gets 16 mpg. I haven't went on a long trip but I was looking forward to it. That little v6 was fun to drive. So yah we both love it but dang why me? Lol

It's getting a OEM motor with a 3 yr unlimited mile warranty and turbo's and were gonna see if the rest of the car is any good. That's gonna hurt. 

1 minute ago, Missouri Mule said:

Our expedition EL is a big vehicle. 6" longer than a suburban I think. We had a Tahoe LTZ before that. I like the Ford overall better. It drives better, rides better,has more power, gets better fuel mileage, and is just more comfortable to me. I understand the Tahoe is on a truck chassis and probably will be more robust in the end. Ours had air suspension and still rode worse than the ford. The 5.3 was basically a gas guzzling gutless turd. That thing got about 15 on the highway and 12 town  with the lower gears I had. The ford in town gets 16 mpg. I haven't went on a long trip but I was looking forward to it. That little v6 was fun to drive. So yah we both love it but dang why me? Lol

It's getting a OEM motor with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty and turbo's and were gonna see if the rest of the car is any good. That's gonna hurt.