I believe I have the deep air filter and housing for a 454 K2500 from the 80's. Single stud hold down.  also a K&N BUT K&N is only good to stop small peebles. I discovered it struck the hood in a 93 K2500 so I went to a V6 filter proper for the TBI engine. It is surplus to me. and free to an local Arky! BUT you have to pay to ship. also a K&N BUT K&N is only good to stop small pebbles. If interest I could measure the filter housing.

5" base BUT 5" filter it will fit high hood pickups.  AND free tall expensive usable filter.

IMG_3457.JPG

IMG_3459.JPG

IMG_3461.JPG

13 hours ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Because I believe they are inferior to paper elements and not as easy to change or clean. I live out in the sticks and a lot of gravel roads too.

actually its the other way around, the oil bath is every bit as good, and is 99 percent efficient  and dont give you a restriction like a plugged air filter.  its just changing the oil was the downfall as years went by. when i worked in the GM dealership in the 80's im pretty sure those 427's were oil bath.   they had the holley 4v carb with the governor  set up and yes they were prone to flooding at times. nothing to be scared of an oil bath air cleaner.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Because I believe they are inferior to paper elements and not as easy to change or clean. I live out in the sticks and a lot of gravel roads too.

actually its the other way around, the oil bath is every bit as good, and is 99 percent efficient  and dont give you a restriction like a plugged air filter.  its just changing the oil was the downfall as years went by. when i worked in the GM dealership in the 80's im pretty sure those 427's were oil bath.   they had the holley 4v carb with the governor  set up and yes they were prone to flooding at times. nothing to be scared of an oil bath air cleaner.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

When they were fresh and running well the 366 didn't have enough power to pull a sick whore off a pi$$ pot. 

They were a large step up from the 261 that my dad had in his truck. It handled 7 ton without too much trouble but 50 mph was about the top end.

31 minutes ago, rustred said:

Wow....   I spent a whole DAY checking manufacturers websites for both oil bath and dry pleated paper filters and I didn't find a single oil bath air cleaner that it's manufacturer said it removed over 90% of the dirt.  The dry pleated paper elements were all 98-99%.  A K&N filter was designed to shed layers of dust/dirt when cars, trucks, motorcycles with them raced across desert roads. Once they get a good thick layer of dust maybe they'd actually filter some dirt out.

Think it was VORTOX brand oil bath air cleaners that claim 90% efficiency,  Donaldson, Walker, American Air Filter, etc. DO NOT PUBLISH cleaning efficiency.

I'd find an air filter with the biggest filter element you can find, or stack two elements in one filter.

The 1974 C65 with 366 V8 I drove for the township summer of '74 had a pleated paper air filter.   So did the '67 C65 the '74 replaced.  Even my '79 White RoadBoss 2 had a pleated paper filter.

If you want the paper filter to stay cleaner between replacements, buy a foam wrap for the filter.

23 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

When they were fresh and running well the 366 didn't have enough power to pull a sick whore off a pi$$ pot. 

Lmao. My next truck has a fuel injected 366 and I runs good to me. No it's not a diesel. Wish it had a little Cummins in it. 

22 hours ago, rustred said:

I think Chevy went to paper air filters around 1970. International trucks used oil bath filters though until about 1974. And for the horror of it all. JD used oil bath filter until 1967. You never see a early JD that dusted out the engine like all the later  tractors with paper elements. The 806 did not use a safety element so they were some of the most prone to engine failure from operator screwing up air filter.

Whatever you do do not stack filters together unless you fasten them. The right size element is available readily at most places. I would stick with that. The oil bath filter is very satisfactory for your application. Just clean it and don’t worry about it.

On 4/30/2021 at 10:45 AM, rustred said:

What is the best way to stop the flooding? Get an edelbrock?

11 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

What is the best way to stop the flooding? Get an edelbrock?

How many CFM? 

16 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

How many CFM? 

Not exactly sure. Have had the truck 8 days and only 1 day off. I would guess 600 or 650 but........... Does smoke worse out one side than the other which I believe is a valve issue but it's gas smoke not oil. Just haven't had time yet to pressure wash everything, pull the valve covers and check everything and get a good look at carb. I did notice it looked like a Holley with the cable linkage on the passenger side I believe.

600 would be about as big as you would want on that, never had much luck with a Holley, and know a few folks more informed than i am who say likewise, the Eddlebrock we put on made an enormous difference . It had matching linkage on each side. 

5 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Edelbrock is a bit simpler 

For flooding and bouncing Holley truck avenger 670 cfm

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/street/parts/0-90670

or put an offroad kit in holley carb.  spring loaded seats, foam in float bowls etc.

There was a certain edelbrock model I read about a long time ago people were swapping over to on the 366 and 427. It was a 1421 or 1402 or something like that because of the common flooding issues of the Holleys and with me not being a big time carburetor know it all just swapping to a new Edelbrock may just be the best thing for  me to do. I've got a lot of dirt work to do on my place with it (digging pond, putting in culverts) before I ever put it on the road to get gravel. Just trying to get the kinks worked out first.

I agree

Sometimes old carbs wear in places gaskets and new jets don't address.

New is new.  

Get what the people that will be tuning the carb are most familiar with...........

2 hours ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

There was a certain edelbrock model I read about a long time ago people were swapping over to on the 366 and 427. It was a 1421 or 1402 or something like that because of the common flooding issues of the Holleys and with me not being a big time carburetor know it all just swapping to a new Edelbrock may just be the best thing for  me to do. I've got a lot of dirt work to do on my place with it (digging pond, putting in culverts) before I ever put it on the road to get gravel. Just trying to get the kinks worked out first.

Biggest mechanical problem with swapping carbs from original is the throttle linkage and choke, sometimes it’s easy, other times it just doesn’t work quite right, another time it’s hours of re-engineering to get it right, I’m not a fan, most new Holley or edelbrock carbs available come set up that you wouldn’t want more than a 600cfm to put one on out of the box, but interesting to note that a quadrajet  from most 70s and 80s GM applications is 850CFM and on a 305 capable of 25 mpg, I would rebuild the Holley on it if it was mine, if flooding is a concern then set the float at 3/8 inch if the spec is 1/2 inch, I have run into current rebuild kits for the old Holley governor carbs don’t have the right seals for the bowl vent that is hooked to the accelerator pump so it can leak there, I am not a fan of the fuel line between the bowls on a Holley and I find that a hard back fire can alter your float setting to over fuel it, but the only better carb in my opinion is a quadrajet and given that it’s configured totally different it’s not a bolt on replacement

I hear a lot of praise for Edelbrock carbs, like they will solve all your problems, they are a good carb, but not always the solution over putting some work into the original carb, but if going the route of replacing the original with another square bore carb and having to adapt I would choose the Edelbrock over a Holley 

• Like 1

I do know IH trucks the oil bath was optional on the gas motors. My uncle had a customer have a fertilizer spreader truck backfire through the carb and burn a hole in the paper element. It dusted the engine. He ordered all trucks destined to be spreader trucks with an oil bath from then on.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:19 AM, oleman said:

I believe I have the deep air filter and housing for a 454 K2500 from the 80's. Single stud hold down.  also a K&N BUT K&N is only good to stop small peebles. I discovered it struck the hood in a 93 K2500 so I went to a V6 filter proper for the TBI engine. It is surplus to me. and free to an local Arky! BUT you have to pay to ship. also a K&N BUT K&N is only good to stop small pebbles. If interest I could measure the filter housing.

5" base BUT 5" filter it will fit high hood pickups.  AND free tall expensive usable filter.

IMG_3457.JPG

IMG_3459.JPG

IMG_3461.JPG

I'm interested in getting the air filter setup. Let me know what the shipping will cost and PM me your name and address and I'll send the money on it's way to you.