As I mentioned in a previous post, I bought a 1973 Chevy C65 with a 427. To my surprise it has an oil bath air filter. I didnt know they used them that late, but then again I believe this truck originally had a diesel in it. I want to put a paper element in it. What is the best way to go about it? To get an aftermarket air filter setup like an Edelbrock or hunt around online to try an find a air breather of similar vintage for the truck? Did most C65 of that era have oil bath or paper filters? I'm dealing with a truck that had a lot of "improvements". Like originally was diesel but swapped to gas, originally had a 2 speed rear end but now just a straight 5 speed and originally had hydraulic brakes but swapped to air brakes. So I am a bit behind the curve on figuring out on what all the truck has and needs. The previous owner has been helpful when I've called him but he admitted he wasn't a mechanic of any sort and I believe him when I saw after the truck was delivered that there was one of those quicky oil change place stickers on the windshield. Luckily there is only 600 miles since the oil was changed. Just trying to take care of it and make some changes like junk the flooding carb, just was surprised that a 73 model anything had an oil bath air filter on it. Appreciate any all of y'alls help or knowledge of these old trucks

We had a 75 with the 366 in it and it was a paper filter.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Whatever filter base would fit your carb should work.

Why not keep the oil bath?

Because I believe they are inferior to paper elements and not as easy to change or clean. I live out in the sticks and a lot of gravel roads too.

My 71 c60 with a 366 4bbl has a paper element.

Go to a salvage yard and get one from a junk truck. The scrap yard in lake village,  the one between Dermot and McGehee or Dale in dumas is bound to have one.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a '73 Ford F-750 that originally had an oil bath air cleaner.

When I swapped it over to propane I don't remember what I used for a base plate-----but I double stacked two of the larger paper filters availabe (with long stud bolt).  Worked fine.

I had troubled with oil bath cleaners spilling oil into the carb when dumped steep at the grain elevator.

Good luck 

DD

• Like 1

I believe the easy to change part

That's why I would never go with a K&N filter, faster and cleaner to just swap on a new one

If you fight lots of dust a oil soaked foam band around the element is very effective, but that is combining the two methods

• Like 1
1 hour ago, acem said:

My 71 c60 with a 366 4bbl has a paper element.

Go to a salvage yard and get one from a junk truck. The scrap yard in lake village,  the one between Dermot and McGehee or Dale in dumas is bound to have one.

Thx-Ace 

Didnt know there was salvage yard between Dermott and Mcgehee. I've got to go to Dermott Monday morning already Ace. Do you know the name? I've passed by your friends place in Dumas but I've never stopped, this will give me a good reason to see what he has that I can't live without. I've seen his IH tractors sitting out by the highway and have stopped by and looked at them several times before but never pulled up to the salvage yard. It would be nice to see what all he has to offer.

I don't know the name of the place between Dermnot and McGehee. It's the old truck stop just north of the 65/165 interchange. It looks like a scrap yard when I drive by.  Back in the early 90s I lived in McGehee and went to church with the guy who owned/ran? the truck stop.

When you get to dumas tractor salvage Jose works in the office but go to the yard on the east side of hwy 65 first. Kevin or Mario will help you find anything, they know what's in the yard. Be sure to tell them Martin Mershon sent you.

Thx-Ace 

• Thanks 1

Do they still dump trucks there?

They only do self unloading trucks round here anymore. Claim the insurance is too high.

Thx-Ace 

52 minutes ago, 801486 said:

My 74 C60 with a 350 has an aftermarket paper filter housing looks about the same size as the older pickups.  It is just top and bottom no sides.

What aftermarket brand is it?

1 hour ago, acem said:

Do they still dump trucks there?

They only do self unloading trucks round here anymore. Claim the insurance is too high.

Thx-Ace 

Ace-----

I am talking 35-40 yrs ago.  Haven't been to the elevator since 1985+/_?? 

Hardly see anything but hopper bottoms around here now.

DD

Same here Delta, don't even see grain trucks or 'bob' trucks as they're called around here since the late 90's. The one I bought 2 weeks ago came out of Nebraska.

Just sold a 76 c 65 with 427, did a paper element as well. That one came with a Holly 750 on it that was WAYYYY too much. Went to an Eddlebrock 550 and it made. Huge difference in power and fuel economy. Bought  an eddlebrock paper filter housing and we had to machine a spacer to achieve proper clearance, seems like it was 3 or 4” tall it did help and kept the carb MUCH cleaner.  plug wires were always an issue until I got some Belden super high temp ones with fiberglass boots on them, that seemed to cure the burning up and skipping issues. Manifold gaskets were a nightmare, seems like I was always doing one or another at least annually. I blame the engine fitting so tightly between he frame rails it did not permit use of studs.starters were a constant source of problems  because they would cook to death cradled up in the manifold like they are. My Napa was able to get a generic cut to fit fiberglass blanket that wrapped around the starter and had some weird stainless zip ties to hold it in place... looked pretty crude but it helped.   You will have to learn how to order parts, some stuff is ordered for a pickup truck, some you must lie and order for an 82 and up, and some you pull your hair out and spend hours and hours looking for it on the internet and call salvage yards from Kalamazoo to Timbuktu looking for parts. its a real red headed step child. All in all it was a frustrating expensive truck that did a mediocre job and guzzled a lot of fuel doing it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Just sold a 76 c 65 with 427, did a paper element as well. That one came with a Holly 750 on it that was WAYYYY too much. Went to an Eddlebrock 550 and it made. Huge difference in power and fuel economy. Bought  an eddlebrock paper filter housing and we had to machine a spacer to achieve proper clearance, seems like it was 3 or 4” tall it did help and kept the carb MUCH cleaner.  plug wires were always an issue until I got some Belden super high temp ones with fiberglass boots on them, that seemed to cure the burning up and skipping issues. Manifold gaskets were a nightmare, seems like I was always doing one or another at least annually. I blame the engine fitting so tightly between he frame rails it did not permit use of studs.starters were a constant source of problems  because they would cook to death cradled up in the manifold like they are. My Napa was able to get a generic cut to fit fiberglass blanket that wrapped around the starter and had some weird stainless zip ties to hold it in place... looked pretty crude but it helped.   You will have to learn how to order parts, some stuff is ordered for a pickup truck, some you must lie and order for an 82 and up, and some you pull your hair out and spend hours and hours looking for it on the internet and call salvage yards from Kalamazoo to Timbuktu looking for parts. its a real red headed step child. All in all it was a frustrating expensive truck that did a mediocre job and guzzled a lot of fuel doing it. 

Your right Seth. I've been crawling all over this complain but for 2700$ I paid, I feel I'm going to learn her a whole lot better before I get rid of her in the future. I need to haul gravel to the home place and dirt, drop in culverts and dig a pond. I believe with what I'll save thru it's use it will pay for it's self.   ARKLA

Those chrome air cleaners sometimes have a dish on the bottom carb side that causes them to interfere with linkages etc.

They make plastic spacers to move them up a bit.

Some people just use a small aftermarket air cleaner to get past the clearance issues.  Small meaning they are like a hot rod car, only six or eight inches, about as big around as the carb itself.

My dad bought a 76 F150 390 4bbl new and it came with oil bath, I realize this was the light truck line but they were still factory offered, I always thought oil bath was superior filtration? Kind of frustrating at 16 and your buddies were flipping air cleaner lids and making a qjet howl

My buddy bought a gravel truck out of high school with a 427 and he borrowed my 750 Holley double pumper and put on it, he said it never ran better but the profit margin went way down on the amount of fuel he was consuming a day and soon switched it back, those tall deck engines have different heads and valves and are built more for torque than hp

• Like 1

Oh the mention of exhaust gaskets. That was another every week thing we did. My truck buddy got restarted selling those series trucks when he moved off farm. He would have a couple a week to do. I used to pull almost every 4 or 5 speed trans out of those trucks. To fix leaks and growling noises, then we would move around to top side do spark plugs , exhaust gaskets , valve cover gaskets and such then fix all the lights. On a c 65 like that if you can find a junk original housing they shield the dirt from filter better. 

My 77 with 366 had paper element. I scrapped it. It was a good running truck. I blew the rear end out hauling and it sat in front of my shop for a year while I was trying to decide what to do. Finally I drug it out, removed the bed, and sold it, and the new tires I had on it separate. At that time scrap was high and I got $800 for the cab/chassis. I think I made money on the truck. I hated to do it, that engine and trans was perfect. I told everyone I knew If you want parts there they sit. 

59 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

My 77 with 366 had paper element. I scrapped it. It was a good running truck. I blew the rear end out hauling and it sat in front of my shop for a year while I was trying to decide what to do. Finally I drug it out, removed the bed, and sold it, and the new tires I had on it separate. At that time scrap was high and I got $800 for the cab/chassis. I think I made money on the truck. I hated to do it, that engine and trans was perfect. I told everyone I knew If you want parts there they sit. 

When they were fresh and running well the 366 didn't have enough power to pull a sick whore off a pi$$ pot. 

• Haha 1

There are still some grain bob trucks running round here but not alot. They have many uses other than hauled grain i have short sideboards for mine and haul gravel, dirt and all kinds stuff.

The semi grain trailers that don't dump are an orphan round here. No use for them anymore.