C113 block in a Farmall A

Someone has offered to sell me a Farmall A with that has a weld repair done to block over 20 years ago. That weld seems  to be working. (weld is behind carb to generator) The tractor sat the last 6 years under a shed. When he went to start it after all that time it was seized. He put oil in plugs and let it sit. Then he used the hand crank and it turned over. What are the chances the block has a crack internally, say between piston walls?

The tractor has 2 rims with older tires. No external rim rot seen but at that age the rims probably are thin.

So is it worth while taking a chance on buying the tractor??

Thanks

I have to say - most rims I've seen start rusting on the outside around the stem.  if they are solid there, may very well look and work like new on the inside.

Yes it's a wet sleeve engine. They were common to break at the location you are saying. I have seen numerous ones welded there 

No pressure in cooling system either iirc , so a repair has a chance at being successful. I wouldn’t pay too much for it but it could be entertaining 

Also, if you like the tractor and aren't married to the idea of it having the original engine, replacements are out there relatively inexpensively if needed

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, PhilipL said:

OK.  Lots of input. Thank you. I have been looking for a block. 

what do you intend to do with it?

why get the cart way out front

you have to determine how bad you want it.

then get it going,determine the repairs $$$

use for a week as it is only good for garden use with proper attachments

then wait 6 months for the block to be an issue IF,THEN determine if you are going to keep it,actually usable to you.

I think I have a block in the barn in Central PA 

Hi mmi and bitty,

Yes, it better to get the tractor up and running for the next 4 or 5 months, then do an evaluation of the tractor's shape and costs before sinking $$ into it. It is going to be used as a utility tractor for light duty around the place. Glad to hear there are blocks out there

My Super A block has been welded too ----it stays a bit wet on the outside but never drips. A little epoxy over the bad weld would seal it. Poor ole tractor had a rough life before I got it, been rolled of a mountain from the looks of it. They put a steering wheel out of a 57 chevy car on it, welded some braces to the tower to hold it up and welded some sort of bar in for the steering shaft just behind the box.

Old tractor runs decent, still needs the governor replaced since it dont work at all, only runs at half throttle ---- no more ---- no less! lol!