My cousin caught covid after being vaccinated

acem

My cousin 'Chula' in El Paso TX just came down with covid, tested positive and has been properly vaccinated. She is in her 70s.

Full disclosure.

Vaccines are not 100% effective. 

Her husband has covid bad and been in the hospital for a while. She has been at the hospital with him so she has had plenty of exposure. Hospitals can be a dangerous place.

She wears her mask.

Her symptoms are mild at this time.

My opinion is either she caught a mutated variant or her immune response was weak when she was vaccinated.

Hopefully her case remains mild.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, jass1660 said:

The vaccine isn’t to prevent it, only makes the symptoms mild WHEN you catch it. 

Not quite an accurate statement.

True that the vaccine will likely make your symptoms mild and not require hospitalization if you are infected.

Vaccine is 95% effective keeping you from getting COVID-19. That means 5 out of 100 people may still get it but have mild symptoms. Pretty good odds.

By being 95% effective it does limit spread. The Poliomyelitis vaccine had efficacy in the 60+% range and wiped Polio out in the US.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Not quite an accurate statement.

True that the vaccine will likely make your symptoms mild and not require hospitalization if you are infected.

Vaccine is 95% effective keeping you from getting COVID-19. That means 5 out of 100 people may still get it but have mild symptoms. Pretty good odds.

By being 95% effective it does limit spread. The Poliomyelitis vaccine had efficacy in the 60+% range and wiped Polio out in the US.

Wave #5 is coming in the US son.....

Last weekend my brother and I were moving some machinery around. I gave him ride in pickup twice for 25 miles. He mentioned on Saturday morning one of his coworkers got tested on the previous weekdays. It turns out coworker never got tested and had covid. He infected my brother and another coworker. He called me Sunday night and warned me and he tested positive Monday morning. Talked to him everyday and he is feeling, sounding a lot better after 2 days. I went and got tested yesterday and was negative. My boss is vaccinated so I went back to work but am somewhat quarantined  from family until next weekend to be sure I don’t have it. Lady down the street lost her smell and tested positive while her husband is negative. We were both in front of court house door getting tested by health nurse at same time.

@dale560

Do you know your blood type? My son's roommates and his girlfriend all had COVID-19 and yet he didn't get it. He's fully vaccinated now. Anyway, his blood type is type O, and there's some evidence, not fully studied, that type O have fewer infections hence my curiosity.

@dale560

My daughter and 4 of her friends were infected the day after her 1st vaccination. They were at a restaurant and naturally weren't wearing masks while eating. One girl spread it to the group. Upon hearing she was exposed she got a rapid test which came back negative. She started feeling like crap so got a PCR test which indeed came back positive.

So, if you start feeling poorly and have only had a rapid, get a PCR.

I hope you've dodged the bullet.

20 minutes ago, New Englander said:

@dale560

My daughter and 4 of her friends were infected the day after her 1st vaccination. They were at a restaurant and naturally weren't wearing masks while eating. One girl spread it to the group. Upon hearing she was exposed she got a rapid test which came back negative. She started feeling like crap so got a PCR test which indeed came back positive.

So, if you start feeling poorly and have only had a rapid, get a PCR.

I hope you've dodged the bullet.

Got a rapid test . That is why I am distancing from my family. My boss is a jack/-/ . He has been vaccinated and had it before I started. His high school daughter had it and has had to quarantine 7 times since I worked with him. My kids go to same school and other friends. Never once did he mention it me  or take precautions for me. So I figure the same test he took once and had a negative is good for me. I am being careful around my family. I think my blood is b . We checked it in 7th grade science. It is just one of those things though some catch it easily some not at all. Brother is lot better now sore throat and fever for a couple days now is coming down to quarantine with some farm machinery 

2 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I was told the other day the covid vaccine doesn’t prevent you 100% from getting COVID.  Just prevents you from dying from COVID.  

So, you die from a blood clot from the vaccine.................Good thing I don't manage my cow herd like our government manages its population's health, good lord.....................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

So, you die from a blood clot from the vaccine.................Good thing I don't manage my cow herd like our government manages its population's health, good lord.....................

Indeed, another contractor I work with lost his otherwise healthy 34 year old wife to a blood clot a week after getting the j&j shot.  Screw that, hard pass on the vaccines for this guy and his family.

• Like 5

Just now, ihfarmer1586 said:

Indeed, another contractor I work with lost his otherwise healthy 34 year old wife to a blood clot a week after getting the j&j shot.  Screw that, hard pass on the vaccines for this guy and his family.

There are 3 young people who are off on medical leave from my mothers work who were 100% Fine BEFORE they got that dumb shot............Now they are screwed up to the point they can't work.  I was at a neighbors yesterday and our other neighbor who was a anti-vax'er went to the doctors and between the doctor and his wife, he decided to get squirted...............Now he is all screwed up to the point he had to get another neighbor to run his garbage route.  I am glad they have vaccines for the older and people who have health issues, but I do not understand why in the world most of the health population that has a immune system to fight it are running kicking and screaming through double doors to get it?  

• Like 5

Chula had the Moderna vaccine. According to the article posted its only 86% effective in people over 65.

I except older folks have a lower immune response on average. They are more likely to have diabetes, etc.

Thx-Ace 

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

I was told the other day the covid vaccine doesn’t prevent you 100% from getting COVID.  Just prevents you from dying from COVID.  

The part that says it doesn't prevent you 100% from getting the disease is true.

95% +/- prevents you from getting disease. Near 100% keeps you from serious problems. J&J may not be advisable for women of child bearing age as there have been some clotting issues. However, the same group of women of child bearing age have an even higher risk of serious blood clotting from birth control drugs.

The reporting is often a sin of omission, the same thing that aggravates me of the MSM.

Example: The covid shot doesn't keep everyone from getting the disease only keeps you from getting real sick.

Well, almost accurate. It keeps 95% from getting the disease AND keeps the 5% who may get the disease out of the hospital. Note the reports are close but not the same. The omission of the 95% efficacy and the substitution of but for and makes it very misleading.

• Like 1

I have had both shots without even the slightest hint of a side effect . 

All three of my sisters and older brother have all had both shots. 

One sister had a slight fever for about two hours  after her second shot, all my friends , neighbors, etc have had their shots . No one in my circle of friends has had any ill effects.

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Brother is lot better now

Wonderful! My daughter is just mostly fatigued. She works from home in an office we set up on the 3rd floor and keeps to there and her room. Wife and I are fully vaccinated so we are confident but careful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

I have had both shots without even the slightest hint of a side effect . 

All three of my sisters and older brother have all had both shots. 

One sister had a slight fever for about two hours  after her second shot, all my friends , neighbors, etc have had their shots . No one in my circle of friends has had any ill effects.

Same here with the exception of my son who said he felt a little under the weather after the second shot but was able to power through it and continue to work. It was only for a day. All were either Moderna or Pfizer. All of our friends and neighbors have had little or no problem. Everyone at work the same. FAA says no flying for 48 hours after receiving any of the vaccinations. About half the pilots have had at least one shot as have the mechanics and schedulers.

The resource officer at my wife's school had a bad reaction to the shot and was down for a time. It's suspected that she may have had the disease asymptomatically. She's the only one out of at least 100 co workers and acquaintances that I know of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

So, you die from a blood clotfrom the vaccine.................Good thing I don't manage my cow herd like our government manages its population's health, good lord.....................

I believe that is the J & J shot you are referring to and not the other 2 shot vaccines.  Has anybody died from those yet.  Honest question because I don’t know.