Off color - AC D15

Adam - NC

Been busy at work and not paying attention to Red Power - thought I'd share what we've been up to in case ya'll were worried about me.

Bought a sad little D15 - rottenest rims I've ever seen.

IMG_0266.thumb.JPG.15a8a47418e154b7f41ea09a70404e61.JPG

IMG_0273.thumb.JPEG.ec2508b499cd72a3d4bd3cd8748f51b2.JPEG

Tires from the non-running WD parts tractor we bought went on the D15.  Need any WD parts?

IMG_0301.thumb.JPEG.5fa1d28909e4418d014ee353789bf607.JPEG

Homemade one wire alternator mount & tensioner

IMG_0523.thumb.JPEG.38a988cf0917fba09b4e8e6af3a29e17.JPEG

IMG_0005.thumb.JPEG.5ebff132804e000a0a6ee069c06e7da7.JPEG

Hard fuel line to replace the 4' of rubber hose and the inline filter

IMG_0007(1).thumb.JPEG.ad8186a8082d108f9aaa51e018624dcd.JPEG

Got the front end spread out a little to match the rear

IMG_0019.thumb.JPEG.9a55cf57a6bcc4ccc64ee725b3bb15bd.JPEG

And got rid of the chrome pipe and installed a cheap original looking muffler.  Couldn't convince myself to spend $170 on a real Nelson.

64117200940__3BDCD8FC-0A46-47A7-8062-66CEE3CB7189.fullsizerender.thumb.JPEG.c25cd5722a5a118dea012cb58bee9dc8.JPEG

• Like 10

Always liked the D series AC's 

• Like 1

Very nice , have a D-14 here , probably my favorite tractor ever, smooth like a sewing machine. Those power adjust rims are pretty cool when they aren't toast. How is the power director? Or haven’t you gotten that far? Does it have the allis quick coupler deal? There was a conversion kit available that was pretty simple for 3 point, it works well. They had a grader blade special for allis, super heavy and mounts up so it pivots under the center of the tractor, makes for a real nice operation. Be careful  with the drawbar release lever, i get it caught on my pant leg a lot and it makes me very nervous i am going to loose the drawbar with a load  on some day. Had a couple close calls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Very nice , have a D-14 here , probably my favorite tractor ever, smooth like a sewing machine. Those power adjust rims are pretty cool when they aren't toast. How is the power director? Or haven’t you gotten that far? Does it have the allis quick coupler deal? There was a conversion kit available that was pretty simple for 3 point, it works well. They had a grader blade special for allis, super heavy and mounts up so it pivots under the center of the tractor, makes for a real nice operation. Be careful  with the drawbar release lever, i get it caught on my pant leg a lot and it makes me very nervous i am going to loose the drawbar with a load  on some day. Had a couple close calls. 

Mine is the second factory three point tractor I have ever owned.

I do have my Grandpa's WD with the snap coupler set up - it works great as you said.

389807663_WDsnow.jpg.a69d02a24df54a712d2c2c928a67a576.jpg

100_2613.jpg.c4681649518160c78dfe495537c5fb73.jpg

100_2615.jpg.865fb6d57448da185713619a43f7ab04.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice! D-15 series 2 is highly sought after in Orange circles.

Had a picture, must have deleted it, of a rim on an 8-N that would have made you feel goo about yours! I'll have to go visit Aaron and see if that pos is still there. The outside bead fell clear off the rim!

Nice looking Oxnard blade on the WD. Guess I never tilted one of mine that far!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MTO said:

Nice save/ nice bracket and nice to see a young man have interest in older tractors!

Thanks for the pics Adam.

Oh, and btw, your parts WD looks better than my WD45!   :rolleyes:

The WD was complete, motor locked up from sitting with the exhaust open for years.  I wanted the wheels and tires, and Brody's buddy wanted the factory 3 pt adapter and belt pulley for his WD.  I hate to kill a tractor, but financially it was a no brainer compared to two new rims and four new tires.

Brody & TJ have formed a local antique tractor club, and are hosting their first independent show in Boiling Springs NC this weekend.  I'm proud of both of them!

• Like 5

Nice tractor! I bought a D-15 last spring to do work around my place, so far I like it. I'll put some pictures of it on here later when I go on with my phone. Mine is a factory three point also, much more versatile than the snap coupler. I was never much of an Allis guy but dad said he had a couple d series tractors when he started out so I always wanted one.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Whats up with the top of the power director lever? Looks funny is there no thumb release? 

The button has a guard around the front and right side - I'll have to take a pic tomorrow

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

How is the power director?

Power director and transmission seem fine. High-Low works as it should. The foot clutch needs a little adjusting. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BrodyNC said:

Power director and transmission seem fine. High-Low works as it should. The foot clutch needs a little adjusting. 

Ive got to do brakes on the 14.... looks unpleasant.. the Steiner girl looked like she was trying to turn a calf around she was inside the rear end so deep..then she grabbed the acetylene torches. ? hope yours hang in there ? 

When the D15 was new, the local Allis dealer thought Dad should try one out. It was the only Allis that Dad tried that I wished he had actually bought. I had a used one owner D14 when I started farming on my own. Had to sell it for money towards a bigger tractor.

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ive got to do brakes on the 14.... looks unpleasant.. the Steiner girl looked like she was trying to turn a calf around she was inside the rear end so deep..then she grabbed the acetylene torches. ? hope yours hang in there ? 

Never done brakes on a 14 but have done a 17 some WD's and a CA. If it's like the 17, and I'm betting it is, you will probably hate this job. The shoes pivot on a 3/4" pin that has to come out, they are generally rusted in. You can cut them in pieces and drive them through but drilling, tapping. and pulling is about as easy and a lot safer.

The brakes on WD/WD45 and Series 1 and 2 D17's can be a bugger. On those the shoes crown the drum and have to be removed from the top. The lower anchor pin rusts in place(often mice urine and nesting) Usually welding a large nut on the stud that sticks out and working it back and forth gets it loose. The torch is a last result. The D17 series 3 and 4 you just remove the axle. I have never done a D15, but it looks like the shoes are inside the drum and it's just a matter of removing the axle.  

Sweet little tractor. I always wanted the whole D series. Does it jump out of 3rd or 4th gear?

19 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

The brakes on WD/WD45 and Series 1 and 2 D17's can be a bugger. On those the shoes crown the drum and have to be removed from the top. The lower anchor pin rusts in place(often mice urine and nesting) Usually welding a large nut on the stud that sticks out and working it back and forth gets it loose. The torch is a last result. The D17 series 3 and 4 you just remove the axle. I have never done a D15, but it looks like the shoes are inside the drum and it's just a matter of removing the axle.  

Sweet little tractor. I always wanted the whole D series. Does it jump out of 3rd or 4th gear?

I have 4 pins on the shelf in case anyone is in need - complete set of WD brake shoes too for that matter.

We have not worked the D15, but so far as long as we are careful to make sure it is fully in gear, it stays there.  I've read that the detent notches in the shifter rail can be welded and re-machined to gain slightly better engagement to cure mild cases of gear jumping.

41 minutes ago, Adam - NC said:

I have 4 pins on the shelf in case anyone is in need - complete set of WD brake shoes too for that matter.

We have not worked the D15, but so far as long as we are careful to make sure it is fully in gear, it stays there.  I've read that the detent notches in the shifter rail can be welded and re-machined to gain slightly better engagement to cure mild cases of gear jumping.

Probably can as long as it hasn’t been ignored too long. I always thought they felt a little funny, like on my M I almost run out of arm before it is in gear... the Allis doesn’t feel like it moved at all. Short throw shifter I guess.