Jump to content

hay preservative


mmi
 Share

Recommended Posts

with everything being "faux" delayed , bale net and wrap is being rationed and not expected to replenish before august,why not just call it dec!

we have enough to make 1/2 our needs, and may be forced to drive 4 hrs  3x when available on fifo that hour/day

they will not take pre pay as supply and $$$ changes every day.

going to take some back up bids to have it shipped direct

how ever we still have the liquid and dry preservative options,just have to make 40% more and $800 tarp it  

what mfgs ,products, and suppliers are you using?

we did use silo king powder at $200 bg/.35  s/sq bl 

the acid is out,we dont like it and the milk carrying horsies will tell everyone in 5 minutes 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What will the hay be fed mostly too? 
horses? dairy? beef? Years and years ago, our neighbor would spread salt on the hay bales, if he felt the hay was a tad damp or ‘tuff’ when baling. It was staked in the barn, iir, he spread the salt every two layers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mmi said:

with everything being "faux" delayed , bale net and wrap is being rationed and not expected to replenish before august,why not just call it dec!

we have enough to make 1/2 our needs, and may be forced to drive 4 hrs  3x when available on fifo that hour/day

they will not take pre pay as supply and $$$ changes every day.

going to take some back up bids to have it shipped direct

how ever we still have the liquid and dry preservative options,just have to make 40% more and $800 tarp it  

what mfgs ,products, and suppliers are you using?

we did use silo king powder at $200 bg/.35  s/sq bl 

the acid is out,we dont like it and the milk carrying horsies will tell everyone in 5 minutes 

We went  through all the dry granular preservatives possible back in the day, and honestly the day we went to proprionic acid we thought W** were we thinking messing with that stuff all those years.  Ill bet our dusty hay went down by 75%, and the leaf retention/bale weight went up by 20%.  Only had a handful of horse people complain if its treated.   

I'm not saying dry doesnt work, but I believe the window that it does work is much, much smaller, and always wondered how much made it into the bale and doesnt fall out the bottom of the chamber.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I'm not saying dry doesnt work, but I believe the window that it does work is much, much smaller, and always wondered how much made it into the bale and doesnt fall out the bottom of the chamber.  

even the "horse" associations dont want the acid,or the faux type ,we tried 1 drum 20 yrs ago.

then several forms of yeast types,what a mess time temp cleaning,expiration

there is available the same products as used on 80% of human foods ,but no one returns calls,or refuses to send the complete literature.

email costs nothing and calling at x to discuss $400 freight doesnt change the info

hi

we are in your retail district  as your direct link refused to connect us

send the full details

thanks

 

Good Morning, thank you for the response.

 

Give me a call this morning when you have a moment

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mmi said:

with everything being "faux" delayed , bale net and wrap is being rationed and not expected to replenish before august,why not just call it dec!

we have enough to make 1/2 our needs, and may be forced to drive 4 hrs  3x when available on fifo that hour/day

they will not take pre pay as supply and $$$ changes every day.

going to take some back up bids to have it shipped direct

how ever we still have the liquid and dry preservative options,just have to make 40% more and $800 tarp it  

what mfgs ,products, and suppliers are you using?

we did use silo king powder at $200 bg/.35  s/sq bl 

the acid is out,we dont like it and the milk carrying horsies will tell everyone in 5 minutes 

Are you talking about chopping it as silage and making a pile ? Or chopping dry hay and piling and covering it? 

We have used many different brands of preservatives over the years. We have switched over to liquid application methods and it's been easier to get the right rate on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have not heard about any netwrap supply problems from my guy, yet. Earlier this year I told him to let me know if he thought I should buy sooner than the August/September time frame that I usually do. I use multiple pallets of wrap per fall. 
 

Regarding the preservative, horsey people are daft, usually. We have used a buffered proprionic acid product for the better part of 15 years with no problem whatsoever. I’m sure horses have eaten their share of treated hay we made. This idea that horses can’t have hay with acid on it is a myth, but some horsey owners will not listen to sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I have not heard about any netwrap supply problems from my guy, yet. Earlier this year I told him to let me know if he thought I should buy sooner than the August/September time frame that I usually do. I use multiple pallets of wrap per fall. 
 

Regarding the preservative, horsey people are daft, usually. We have used a buffered proprionic acid product for the better part of 15 years with no problem whatsoever. I’m sure horses have eaten their share of treated hay we made. This idea that horses can’t have hay with acid on it is a myth, but some horsey owners will not listen to sense. 

The "old" proprionic acid products were nasty stuff.  Remember when the neighbor brought hay in you could smell it from the road on the wagon

 This buffered stuff now is pretty mild, and honestly after sitting in the stack awhile theres no way you can tell its treated unless you really doused it. 

 

2 hours ago, bitty said:

We have used many different brands of preservatives over the years. We have switched over to liquid application met

 Bitty, one thing I've been curious to ask about to silage guys is inoculant on silage worthwhile?  See so many products out there, and thought about putting an applicator on our baler to apply proprionic for dry hay, and then inoculant for baleage.  Lots of time when we make baleage, it's too wet to make dry, but too dry for ideal baleage (usually reserve it for when we get pinched weather wise making dry hay).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

this is for dry bale hay,and to replace wrap shortage with $$$

too little rain to grow,too much to get dry

we use to buy $8K of materials when wrap was <$65.now it costs over $10  per r bale

even needing 35% more dry bales + $3K in tarps it is a savings.

then needing to 2x income to stay even we have to sell a lot and for '22 when $1 buys $ .15 it will be worse yet

so have to bowwwow to the insane horsies,whom are too broke to pay $5bl

need 8K sm sq, 200 r and 1200  r wrapped   or 600 wrap materials in hand +1080 r "dry" + barns

 

for the 1K ton of silage we did in pit, it was dry silo king + rain then 30 g priponic then sealed

1 co has answered

http://isfglobal.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Gearclash said:

I have not heard about any netwrap supply problems from my guy, yet. Earlier this year I told him to let me know if he thought I should buy sooner than the August/September time frame that I usually do. I use multiple pallets of wrap per fall. 
 

Regarding the preservative, horsey people are daft, usually. We have used a buffered proprionic acid product for the better part of 15 years with no problem whatsoever. I’m sure horses have eaten their share of treated hay we made. This idea that horses can’t have hay with acid on it is a myth, but some horsey owners will not listen to sense. 

Netwrap and poly twine supplies are tight right now.  A lot of the import containers that usually arrive in February are just now getting to dealers, or worse, still stuck in the ports.

Also, anything made of plastic is going up in price every week, due to high demand and production disruptions in the plastic pellet market.

So...I'd be buying my twine, wrap, and Sunfilm now, rather than later.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

So...I'd be buying my twine, wrap, and Sunfilm now, rather than later.

as said they are rationed  now and not open for 3 weeks yet,,then fifo by the hour .

we have enough for 1/2,but must plan to have none.

so what is every one using in place of wrapping>?

dont run out and buy it up first !

just heard gas will be $4 +  due to ONLY alien drivers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

 

 

 Bitty, one thing I've been curious to ask about to silage guys is inoculant on silage worthwhile?  See so many products out there, and thought about putting an applicator on our baler to apply proprionic for dry hay, and then inoculant for baleage.  Lots of time when we make baleage, it's too wet to make dry, but too dry for ideal baleage (usually reserve it for when we get pinched weather wise making dry hay).  

I will not chop silage without preservative at all. Some are better than others, different crops need different preservative 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bitty said:

I will not chop silage without preservative at all. Some are better than others, different crops need different preservative 

I agree.  My brother puts inoculant on all his own silage which is for dairy use.  Then 2 falls ago he chopped a small pile of corn silage by my place for feeder cattle.  Since it was for feeder cattle he figured it wouldn’t need inoculant.  That pile has little pockets of mold in in the middle of the pile that l have never seen in his piles.  All the same machinery and methods involved.  Maybe a little mold is no big deal but I’d rather not see it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

well we had to shop at 3 suppliers to get 70 % of our needs.

going back with buffered acid as 7 county agent, referals ONLY netted 20 year old studies of perfect conditions on flat land,no floods and 6+ helpers.

sprayer parts suppliers dont know what parts go where to whom and neither do kids at steellers .

6 + manager ...deer in head lites,  you are selling x product,give me y,z,aa,cc part to use it.uhmmm have to buy the $15K kit!

not in a phone doesnt exist......couldnt let me use the computer and I didnt feel like walking out to the sale line and say get me this part.

 

4 days of calling mfgs and making up the rules got the parts ordered and delivered (soon) $41  tsc dont stock but would be $95 for china

now need moisture sensor for baler,ALL mfgs sell a different stickered agritronic bht-2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I've seen and heard around the late 1980's - don't know what current practice is

In Ireland they make huge amounts of grass silage which is usually stored in concrete bunkers.

The ideal treatment was phosphoric acid, which was not made in Ireland.  So they were using sulphuric acid which was so cheaper.  A bit hard on machinery though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...