Chop This

searcyfarms

So I was asked to bid a job for neighbor who is in a pinch with FSA and needed stuff cleaned up on property.

Talked a lil about it on another thread .......

Only CTLs avail were a Cat 299 or Takeuchi  TL12 - decided cat for quieter cab/cleaner and service if needed since im taking a week vacation to do the job 

Its gone like this so far .......

Picked up 30ft gooseneck from friend Friday - picked up Cat rental from cat in KC - picked up vail mulcher head rental from KC Bobcat - headed to folks farm and this job - weighed in at 30100lbs made the ford earn its keep 

Unloaded saturday after taking daughter turkey hunting and tried it out - read cat book as it didnt seem like it was working well - frustrated - took daughter turkey hunting sunday morn we were blessed it was her first ever so proud of her - helped mom n dad out with my list they had - got them an over air antenna and put it up for them on roof - monday i go bk over i can get hi flow emblem to light but wont turn head - call cat - young guy tries to help n reads thru book with me - says not sure why it wont work - call bobcat no clue - call vail - tech is out till today but the old guy says try switching hoses around - i did hv to get a hi flow plug from cat to plug into harness also - i cant get ends off hoses so removed them at machine and wrestle for an hour i give up - used pipe on wrench still no luck in vice - took to neighbor he has big tools - put in big wilton vice - 3/4 impact in deepwell huge sockets and zipped them right off baaah - back to reinstall and tested ok ran for hour then got stuck in creek crossing - called dad and 5088 to rescue - hour later pulled it out fix crossing and bk to mowing - mowed till 10pm and trying to finish one lil area and poof limp mode ugh - fuel leak on display im like oh crap im on fire like last time when i burned up machine - i bailed out and cpuldnt find anything - one of those days grrrr - limp back to barn talked to cat teck at 1030 he said seen that code usually a pump issue ughhhhh- call cat rental office at 745  this morn they say they get tech advised - no call back - i give them till 945 - they said we hv a tech who will call u sometime today to look at it - he calls says hes at site he will test mach - cant get it to act up but sees low fuel pressure and huge pressure swings - says dirty filter will order one and might be bk tomoro - i ask if he would be willing to get me a filter today - he says well i had another job to get to - i shared my situation and they are not allowed to carry filters on their trucks -cat policy  - currently waiting not sure if he actually went for my filter or not id be very surprised if it fixes it - 60 miles to get filter one way - i told him i will work all night to catch up on job its supposed to rain too 

20210423_201654.jpg

20210426_093926_HDR.jpg

20210426_093929.jpg

20210426_095630_HDR.jpg

20210426_095642_HDR.jpg

20210426_095652.jpg

20210426_095659_HDR.jpg

20210426_153613.jpg

20210426_173316.jpg

20210426_180958_HDR.jpg

20210426_195122_HDR.jpg

20210426_203027.jpg

20210426_204716.jpg

20210427_110859_HDR.jpg

20210427_110911.jpg

20210427_110918.jpg

20210427_114927.jpg

20210427_114948.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

not allowed to carry filters on their trucks

Do you have any idea why? It sure seems strange.

• Like 1

That is about how things usually go here.  Normally twice as long as I project.

No filters on a truck sounds rediculous.  Everyone here praises Cat.  If that is true sounds like a bunch of poop to me.  Is this rental  8 machine hours per day?  If so I guess the machine hours will work out if you push hard but if not the rental company should be extended the rental time since the machine is down. 

• Like 1

The tree issues some you you deal with amaze me. Around here, even the ones that we plant seem to die, the only trees that seem to do decent are those either by an irrigation ditch or a creek. Good luck with your project, I hope they can get the machine figured out for you.

• Like 1

The filter thing sounds odd to me to, a service truck should be prepared to fix anything, I’m surprised Mother kitty doesn’t have satellite diagnostics from control central, sounds like your equipment issues are starting to create problems on a job that has an end date, hope they work with you through it

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hippy5488 said:

sounds like a normal day around here.

from the get go in other post this sounded like it was going to be a good deed in spades

on par and why used ,10' equip is so $$$$$

• Like 1

Sounds like how some of my stuff goes. Hope they get it straightened out and your able to get finished.

• Like 1

Appears it was filter - ran till midnite emptied more fuel in it home at folks showered n ready to work in rain tomoro - im guessing filter thing is so they dont interefere with the lube techs or sell to illigetimate owners - 120miles round trip in a KW crane truck is not efficient thas why cat cosys so much i guess - fuel gauge doesnt register right it stopped working at 3/4 tank for 7+hours tried shutting off n on no change - thirsty sucker near as i can tell burns over 5gal per hr - bobcat wont rent hi flow here or any machine over 500 series - glad im not the only one who has crazy days - yes on bags/mower  wheels dad hit both wheels in less than 5 mins one poked thru cap and had to steristrip it to hold it closed 

Accordind to the cat tech - great guy - his diagnostic machine was showing fluctuating line pressures to the fuel rail - i guess what ever special needs there are make it sensitive to throwing a code he said its overdue for 500hr service too thas why my screen keeps asking for service he said itll be fine till i return it

That’s always aggravating when you rent a piece of equipment and it’s delivered with almost no fuel in it and it is required to be a full tank when it is returned, overdo on a service, or whatever... 

9 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

fuel gauge doesnt register right it stopped working at 3/4 tank for 7+hours tried shutting off n on no change - thirsty sucker near as i can tell burns over 5gal per hr - bobcat wont rent hi flow here or any machine over 500 se

AMAZZZZZING how saving the planet lines the elites pockets.$$$$$$

dont forget to add in the the 6x needed to get 1 gal out  + processing fuel and extra tankers 

burn up 40 gal so we dont see fast rain out smoke from 2 gal .......those 320 lb of fine material,dont float around or hurt anyone... makes perfect sense $$$$

More pix i finished up at 1230 this morn 

Getting across creek - last two are before/after 75 hours in 6 days 

One breakdown/fuel filter 

Wore out a couple teeth - i had one come loose no clue where it went - hit a rock n another disappeared - it was all out of balance so i went to local welder shop and got 1inch bolts for counter weights and got the head balanced after movind some teeth around too 

Synopsis - liked both the mulcher and cat299 but if i was going into a business i would get the XE package for more hydro flow and HP it was frustrating at times working with soft ground and hilly spots 

20210430_113045.jpg

20210430_113207.jpg

20210430_203125.jpg

20210430_203129.jpg

20210430_203117.jpg

20210501_173758_HDR.jpg

20210501_200247_HDR.jpg

• Like 2