Tell me about 4H

Frank H

My 3 youngest kids are interested in joining 4H. My oldest used to be a boy scout but left when they started being all accepting of the LGBTQRSTUV agenda.  Neither he nor I were comfortable with sodomites in scouting. Is 4H a morally decent organization? I am naive.  I used to think boy scouts was morally upright as well,  so before allowing my kids to join 4H, I am trying to find out more information,  not just through official literature but word of mouth. 

Don't know about 4H but I just updated my estate planning and Boy Scouts are no longer included for the same reason as  above. For the record I am an Eagle Scout class of "67.

• Like 2

4-H is a good thing. saying that there is always a bad apple. i joined in 1957 my wife and i were both  4-H leaders both are kids were members and went on to be leaders and are  still in the program. our three grand kids are in 4-H and the oldest is aleader. it has change a lot over the years but still good. 

• Like 2

4-H can be a good thing. Teach kids how to do a number of things and they learn leadership skills. Problem I always had was the parents were doing the projects for the kids.

I got to travel most of the midwest through 4-H and FFA. Learned lots and made lifelong friends. 

• Like 1

Would not be where I am today without 4-H and FFA in terms of public speaking, work ethic, social skills, making connections with different people by going to different fairs and livestock shows over the years. Ive been in 4-H since 2011 (my last year was last year). I stated showing pigs then in 2015 started showing cattle. My sister also has pigs and a steer for this years county fair, state fair, and another show in Nebraska named Arkzarben. 4-H has taken me to Washington D.C. for a leadership conference and then this program took me and my livestock judging team to Kansas City two years ago for a National Livestock Judging Contest— The American Royal. Ive been an officer for my club, our district, my mom is a 4-H leader as well. I could tell you other things too but as you can see the 4-H and FFA things can really take your youth place, and you can hear that from a lot of people that have been in them. And as many could say you make lifelong friends when you are involved with these programs which is almost entirely what its about. 

• Like 2

Has been good in the past but 4H has a big government component. It comes through Extension Service via the state Land-grant University. So I am sure there LGBT (what every the current alphabet soup calls for to be PC).  

But I feel the good way out weights the bad. Just checkout the community leader in charge of the club you will be part of. Here there are many in the same community because of egos and personality issues. So find a club you see the same values you want instilled in your kids. A good sign to me would be the group leader looking to get you involved. Very much means they are not trying to hide anything.

• Like 1

My experience in 4H was excellent, and I was exposed to lots of things I never otherwise would have seen. Definitely impacted my life in a very positive way. A lot of how things are done varies by the club, try one club, and if you don’t like it don’t be afraid to try another. I actually changed clubs when I was in high school because we had a change in leadership in the old club, and I didn’t like the direction things were going.

• Like 1

I had a very positive time in 4H. Was a member from 8yrs old to 18yrs old. My parents were members as kids and my grandparents and parents both did time as leaders. I met lifelong friends, and went places I never would have otherwise. We showed cattle that we raised and had other projects as well. Lots of good leadership building activities and 4H shooting sports nurtured my love of the outdoors and firearms. 

• Like 1

I did the scouts route and looking back from the other end of life it was one of the best things for valuable life skills, met guys that had gone the 4H route and the unlikeliest people were excellent public speakers that they attributed to 4H, had good values, taught you to care for something and see it through, can’t comment if recent external pressures are eroding their organization like others

• Like 1

I had a very good experience with 4H, wouldn’t trade it for the world. If there is multiple clubs in your area I would check around to see which one would fit your values. 

There is truth to what ray54 said about there being some governing with the extension services. But still the good outweighs the bad. I don’t know where Frank H is from but I don’t think it should be a huge deciding factor.

I second what all others have said about checking around in your area for clubs. Whatever your kids are interested in, look for a club that has a good amount of other kids that are doing the same projects. You can talk to people you know that are involved with clubs or you can talk to a local extension agent and they can help guide you to a club that may suit you. 

Our clubs were basically designed around country neighborhoods. Once in a while a kid went with a different neighborhood but for the most part we all just went with the area we were from. I was in the same club my Dad was in. No rules said you had to do that but people just did. 

My parents were leaders . They actually met each other in 4H as kids . Some of the notable things I really benefited from were small engine and shooting sports . My neighbor was our small engine instructor and we started with him teaching us on a hit and miss, then we each got an engine to try to get running ourselves. We learned chainsaw the one year as he was a logger . He had each of us drop a tree in his woods . We then cut some firewood on his pole wood pile. 

In our state because of the Sandusky problem in our State they have lost some good leaders and instructors because they are tired of the way the background screening is now. My sister and a few cousins are certified shooting sports instructors.

I will add that 4H camp was always enjoyed by me as there was good looking girls there  ..... 

• Like 1

Always good here.  We have 3rd generations in a 99.9% dairy focused club.  Always not too serious and help each family out during showing days.  Shows kids proper competition not the 2nd is last crazy sports families mentality. 

I do opine we should do more.  There are 100s of other things.  From showing cat (its wellll worth watching that events show..trust me the jokes never quit...??) to crafty stuff and shooting/archery.  Cousins son is in a archery club thats pretty active.  Good deal Frank

4-H was one of the highlights of my childhood.   I showed hogs.  Also entered in woodworking, photography,  model kits, and tractor restoration.  I served as Secretary,  Vice President and President of our club.  Sitting on the showbox in the hog barn, watching people (girls) go by was always fun.  I remember pranking people with a rubber spider suspended from the rafters on fishing line!  The dance in the show ring on Friday night was not to be missed!  The Bill Reilly talent show would pack the bleachers as well. The rodeo was popular too.

• Like 1

I was in 4H 8 to 18 and my parents were leaders.   Son was in Scouts, 6-18, Eagle and I was a leader.

Different organizations,  but both can be great teaching and character building opportunities.....IF right leadership mindset and morals are followed.

I am glad I was in 4H, and also glad I was able to help my son as a Scout leader.

Lots of "that's somebody else's problem" mentality these days and it hurts these programs.   Volunteering to help out give you more control of the situation (in spite of the crazy new stuff out there), helps the program succeed,  and gives you a unique opportunity to watch your child develop and mature (some of my proudest of him moments were watching him succeed in Scouting).

Enough soap box.....good programs,  sad society.....

• Like 1