Gravestone repair and restoration

Scott!

I know there are a few people who do some work in the cemetery. Our neighborhood cemetery is in need of some repair. I'm thinking it would be a good project for our family or 4-H to take care of some of the headstones that have fallen into disrepair.

A little background:

The cemetery association is broke and will be out of money by this summer.

The township will be taking over care from here to eternity.

I don't see the township going above and beyond by any means.

Questions: (Ranked in priority)

- A lot of the oldest headstones are marble slabs. It appears they are just buried into the ground. Obviously some have started to tip over since the 1880s. Is there are better way to stabilize them than digging new hole and reburying them deeper?

- Some of the marble slabs are cracked in half. I see some have been repaired with something that looked like grout or caulk. What is the best way to mend these broken headstones?

- I saw a lady cleaning and painting the lettering on these marble headstones on Snapchat. It looked really good when she was done. Any tips on cleaning marble headstones?

20210425_142304.jpg

20210425_142356.jpg

20210425_142258.jpg

• Thanks 1

Not sure about righting them & repair, but Diedrich Envirestore 100 would do a good job of cleanup.

Mike

2 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Most stones on a base that lean are caused by the headstone being set too soon after burial when the ground wasn't settled enough.

Even today's installers do a half-a$$ed job with footers.

8 inch deep footers are a waste of concrete

• Like 1

Haven't done it yet but I have wanted to try a product called Wet and Forget it works great on mold and mildew on cement , siding and other surfaces .

We were at old cemetery this afternoon out in a field, stones toppled all over. You leave your mark on this world and then that happens, disturbing.

Road in has been farmed across I didn't think they could do that. I know they shouldn't do that

• Sad 1

I've repaired broken ones with pins and landscape adhesive.  All you can do is reset bases.

I just finished mowing our church cemetery.  It's a full volunteer effort, maintaining drive, stones, mowing,  spraying......good on you for trying to help out!!!!!!

our 1700 cemetery along with original church were deeded from one of the farms.

the county and STATE are to be properly taking care, they took the land for a major county park and state shed

about 50 stones left . the monkeys buzz it off in 50 min then go sleep.

MAYBE once every 10 yrs, just clean the large spire 

Col Hugh Davidson

HAve been doing c cemetery work for years. The stones that you are talking about setting upright you can dig a hole and pour concrete in and set the stone ( have seen that done ) upright in in it. Beening that the township is taking it over they are given some dollars from state to maintain them last I knew. If its not visted much as MTO said yyou could use T posts to hold them. There is a cement nix that you can get to repair stone it might even be a glue. Good luck to you and glad to see that you and others are stepping up to fix it. I am now mowing 4 cemetery's.

• Like 1

**** a local clown dozed out a cemetery here , neighbor owned ground that it was on and called every state ,county agency and they shrugged their shoulders and walked away. Road made a jag and cut the corner off neighbors place where cemetery was. There was 10-20 stones from the 1800s that was guys family  who dozed them into a brush pile. Needed the grass for Herford cows.

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, shot_gun_red said:

**** a local clown dozed out a cemetery here , neighbor owned ground that it was on and called every state ,county agency and they shrugged their shoulders and walked away. Road made a jag and cut the corner off neighbors place where cemetery was. There was 10-20 stones from the 1800s that was guys family  who dozed them into a brush pile. Needed the grass for Herford cows.

Wow.......unbelievable

• Like 1

Approach the local FFA and 4-H clubs.

I would think those could be rolled out, with new dirt packed under them to level.

It should be a simple fix with some young brute strength.

The guys lifting and the girls packing.

The only state help I know of is a matching grant. A neighboring townshio's cemetery assoc. uses ag slag packed it around and under the stone. The VA cemetery sexton I talked to told me they use 57 limestone to set the VA markers. Just a couple options that are cheaper, easier and faster than concrete. John

• Like 1

A friend of ours use to work in the local grave yard

he would dig down about a foot and re fill the trench with 22A crushed lime stone

then tamp it down and water it

reset the head stone 

Mike

I will ask the guy who cleans and repairs the stones in the cemetery next to me. He sprays something in a hand sprayer and the next rain washes it off. He also repairs the upright stones that break off. He has been doing this as long as I can remember.

My great grandparents headstone is loose at base last time I visited. I need to look into this. Thanks for the reminder.

Like Mike said, a footer of crushed stone would work well and be easier and cheaper than concrete.  Some contractor might donate the bottom of one of his piles of crushed rock.  Otherwise bury even with the ground so they can be mowed over.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

One day, he WILL be held accountable for his greed and sacrilege.

• Like 1