Ambac Pump Rattle

Cdfarabaugh

Finally put some working hours on the 1566 this spring and noticed when hot, the pump makes a very loud clattering noise.  Also noticed when hot it will not start at the low idle stop, almost takes 1/4 throttle to light off.

I dynoed it this winter and figured something was amuck as it only make 140 HP and seemed to run pretty warm at full load (both on gauge and verified with my  infrared gun on thermostat housing)

None of the work it's going now needs max HP so not a huge deal.  I've actually dealt little with these 100 pumps so figured it's time to ask.  

I've heard that noisey rattle sound in the pumps also I had one taken to my pump shop and they said the Intra advance was needing replaced after the pump was rebulit it was fine 

I've found the front bushing spun out of the housing causing it to rattle, but the low power is likely the tappet bearing insert has failed, thus dropping the height of plunger, it just won't pump the required fuel volume since the plunger isn't going up it's full stroke. They get expensive to fix when these things occur.

Archived