5130 power beyond

Cress27

I can not find a power beyond port for my tractor I’ve got a 520 loader on it. Since I can’t find one what do I need to do to make this loader work without the power beyond. It has a load sensing hose on the joystick. Can I just cap that off and run the loader from the outlets on the back of the tractor? Is there a way to plumb this loader in directly to the pump? I’m at a loss here any help is appreciated thanks 

With my limited knowledge of hydraulics with load sensing, I don't think the joystick will work without it. You can try your idea, as you have nothing to lose at this point except a few minutes of your time.

You've got two options as I see it. Well, three.

First, why can't you get a power beyond? CIHTECH said you could get them from the dealer, just not in a "kit" anymore.

Second, your first alternative, pull the hoses off the joystick, extend as necessary to the rear of the tractor, and use the remotes.

Third, find a simple open center joystick and power that off one of the rear remotes.

Plugging your joystick into the remote and tying lever back would make loader work but pump would be on constant high pressure standby. Not good.

I do not have picture of all the lines and fittings of a 5130 in my head. I do know that the supply line to joystick must be tee'd to pressure line from pump. Signal line would be tee'd into signal line between pump and remotes. Unless charge pump puts out more oil than the hydraulic pump. Return would have to be some where into charge circuit.

It’s a pity CIH didn’t set up the hydraulics on the 5000s like they did on the MX Maxxums where I think most or all of them have a power beyond plate at the bottom of the valve stack.  So simple to add a loader valve on those. 

From a theoretical stand point, to make a loader valve work on a 5000 you need the following:  tap the pressure supply to the rear remotes for your loader valve; tap the return from the rear remotes for your loader valve, tap the compensator signal line so the pump will work when you use the loader valve.  The loader valve must have good working signal check valves in it or the whole system won’t work once the valve is hooked up.

Basically, the power beyond on the MX Maxxums just offers handy ports to tee on the necessary lines for another valve(s).

If you are setting it for long term, I would call around to a couple scrap yards and find one of these.....if short term yeah maybe run it from rear remotes. 

You can go to Tractor House > scroll down to dismantled machine> select your model and start calling. Remember you can use other model numbers also like 5120,5130 and 5140.........good luck.

image.thumb.png.4a45092eaead1c3fc017e4e3e49532b1.png

Pretty sure I have a power beyond set up on my 5250.  I can get a pic of it showing how everything is plumbed if that helps.

So apparently there are a few different power beyonds anyone know a part number for the one I’ve got it’s a 1992 model I think. With a transmission serial number of jka0035249 I’m lost here guys and I need this loader like something desperate. 

• 1 month later...

I am in  a similar situation as I can't find a power beyond plate for less than about $500. I just got a 5140 with 3 remotes and a 520 loader that needs some work. The joystick needs two new cables and some TLC. I'm thinking about buying a new generic joystick and cables and connecting it to the #1 and #2 remotes. I think I just need to remove the existing linkage and make a bracket to hold the end of the two cables. Anyone want to tell me I'm crazy before I get started?

On 6/26/2021 at 1:08 PM, mph said:

I am in  a similar situation as I can't find a power beyond plate for less than about $500. I just got a 5140 with 3 remotes and a 520 loader that needs some work. The joystick needs two new cables and some TLC. I'm thinking about buying a new generic joystick and cables and connecting it to the #1 and #2 remotes. I think I just need to remove the existing linkage and make a bracket to hold the end of the two cables. Anyone want to tell me I'm crazy before I get started?

Yeah, you're crazy. I wouldn't go messing around with linkages like that just to have a joystick. I'd rather learn to run it with two levers if you're going to use the factory remotes.

In your situation I would get an open center joystick valve and use #3 as your "power beyond." The lever for that one is off in the rhubarb, and not at all convenient to use. Just lock it in the open position and run your loader.

I don't think you can use a closed center joystick valve for this but maybe you can.

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

In your situation I would get an open center joystick valve and use #3 as your "power beyond." The lever for that one is off in the rhubarb, and not at all convenient to use. Just lock it in the open position and run your loader.

I don't think you can use a closed center joystick valve for this but maybe you can.

Doable but a bad idea because as long as the #3 remote is locked open the pump will be on high standby pressure.

I can’t imagine it is all that hard to plumb in a set of loader valves to be run by a joystick.  “Power beyond” is a euphemism for teeing into the existing pressure, tank, and signal lines.  Just a matter of figuring out what does what.

24 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Doable but a bad idea because as long as the #3 remote is locked open the pump will be on high standby pressure.

I can’t imagine it is all that hard to plumb in a set of loader valves to be run by a joystick.  “Power beyond” is a euphemism for teeing into the existing pressure, tank, and signal lines.  Just a matter of figuring out what does what.

I though that would be the case. Then an open center joystick on #3 would be the way to go if one were to choose this solution. Oil will then circulate on low pressure, and you simply center the #3 valve whenever you're not going to be using the loader for long periods of time.

CaseIH made/makes a purpose built power beyond plate so you don't have to figure anything out. Frankly I do not think there is a practical way to "tee in" without the power beyond plate. If there were, there would be no need for the power beyond plate.

Even if it's $500 for the power beyond plate that's worth it compared to the alternatives. 

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

CaseIH made/makes a purpose built power beyond plate so you don't have to figure anything out. Frankly I do not think there is a practical way to "tee in" without the power beyond plate. If there were, there would be no need for the power beyond plate.

I don’t care to comment on the 5000 series as I don’t know the hydraulic system on them like I do on the MX Maxxums.  But on the MX Maxxums it would be pretty easy to Tee in where needed. In the worst case it may be necessary to cut steel lines shorter and install a new ORFS end on it to allow room for a Tee.  The dumb thing is it seems like most or all of the MX Maxxums came out with a power beyond plate already installed.  All 3 of mine have it.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:46 PM, Gearclash said:

I don’t care to comment on the 5000 series as I don’t know the hydraulic system on them like I do on the MX Maxxums.  But on the MX Maxxums it would be pretty easy to Tee in where needed. In the worst case it may be necessary to cut steel lines shorter and install a new ORFS end on it to allow room for a Tee.  The dumb thing is it seems like most or all of the MX Maxxums came out with a power beyond plate already installed.  All 3 of mine have it.

With the pressure compensated hyd pump teeing into. the pressure port you will get standby pressure. The 3rd line is a sensing line that makes the pump go to high pressure. The  MX maxxums have the same 3 line system. You need the power beyond valve to get the pump to onto high pressure   

22 minutes ago, Jim J said:

With the pressure compensated hyd pump teeing into. the pressure port you will get standby pressure. The 3rd line is a sensing line that makes the pump go to high pressure. The  MX maxxums have the same 3 line system. You need the power beyond valve to get the pump to onto high pressure   

On the MX Maxxum the power beyond is just a glorified T for the load sense line.  The signal that goes through the power beyond originates at what ever device is on the power beyond circuit.  In the case of a valve set added for a loader, the load sense line could be Teed in about anywhere in the load sense circuit provided the Tee is downstream of any other check valves.  

From what I can tell on the 5XXX the power beyond plate contains a shuttle valve for the the load sensing circuit. Not sure if there is an easy place to tee into the load sense circuit and install an external shuttle valve. Maybe machine the blanking plate that is on there now. I think I will get the loader fixed up and working on 2 standard remotes and then figure out a way to put the old or new joystick on.

• 6 months later...

Archived