Keg prices

vtfireman85

Anyone bought a keg lately? I was asked to get a keg for a friends 40th was asked to get coors, not my party so whatever. I was pretty darn shocked when they rang it up at 145 bucks plus 8 dollar tap deposit. ?seems like we used to get kegs of good beer for 80. Works out to be about 40 bucks cheeper if you bought the same amount in cans. 

• Like 1

$145?! Forget that! I agree with TP, just give the man the money. Last time I got beer in bulk, it was $38 for a 1/4 bbl & $50 for a half bbl. A 1/4 bbl of my favorite root beer was $32. Deposit on the kegs was $5. There was a $2.50 deposit on the tap which was returned when you took the dead soldier back. A case of returnables at the time was $16 with a $3 deposit. It paid to get your cases at the brewery for $12 (only a $1 deposit there) & take them into the local liquor store for a return.

Mike

I think it was $100 for 1/4 of Spotted Cow (Wisco only) $40 keg deposit.  Summer shandy 1/6 were like $80-90?  $30 deposit.  They have definitely gone up.  

1/2 of Summer Shandy was like $150 last time I bought one.  I usually get one for 4th of July.

Blue Moon 1/6 was $80-90.

Quick edit:  bottles have been up the last year too.

• Like 1

If it's $150 for a keg, I'd say that's not too bad.... it was $120 20 yrs ago.

My buddy bought a kegerator a few months back. He keeps it stocked with Bent Paddle out of Duluth and claims he saves 75% over buying bottles. IIRC, he said it's $180 a keg.

4 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

$145?! Forget that! I agree with TP, just give the man the money. Last time I got beer in bulk, it was $38 for a 1/4 bbl & $50 for a half bbl. A 1/4 bbl of my favorite root beer was $32. Deposit on the kegs was $5. There was a $2.50 deposit on the tap which was returned when you took the dead soldier back. A case of returnables at the time was $16 with a $3 deposit. It paid to get your cases at the brewery for $12 (only a $1 deposit there) & take them into the local liquor store for a return.

Mike

His wife asked me to, it was a surprise party, i really don’t mind at all, happy to, I just was shocked vs last time 2018? Maybe?  

4 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

If someone did that for me I would blow a gasket...............forget the party and give me the cash!!!!!

You must not live in the part of the world were a bunch of morons drink a 30 pack of horse piss a day and their wife screws the neighbor twice a week!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, oleman said:

I wouldn't expect a 16 gal keg of Bud to be all that expensive. The stainless 16 gal kegs probably carry a healthy core charge because they a valuable.

80 dollar deposit 

• Like 1

You guys talk got me wondering what I’ve saved since I stopped drinking 3155 daze ago, 32,000 dollars, and since I stopped smoking 10 years ago I don’t have a clue, a pack ever four daze of swishers sweets, haven’t really missed anything as all my stoopid moments when drinking I wanted to forget.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

His wife asked me to, it was a surprise party, i really don’t mind at all, happy to, I just was shocked vs last time 2018? Maybe?  

Now that I think of it, it's been 20 years since I bought a lot of beer. Was dry for about 7. Nowadays, I enjoy a beer when the hay's off the field or the occasional finger of bourbon every few months. Can't touch any at the moment as I'm on blood thinners.

Mike

Well the party was tonight and i am home already, watching a movie... shows what a party animal i am. 

2 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

You guys talk got me wondering what I’ve saved since I stopped drinking 3155 daze ago, 32,000 dollars, and since I stopped smoking 10 years ago I don’t have a clue, a pack ever four daze of swishers sweets, haven’t really missed anything as all my stoopid moments when drinking I wanted to forget.

I don't miss my days of drunken antics either. Well.... the dumb ones. One of these days though, I'd like to miss smoking. When the time is right I guess.

Mike

28 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I don't miss my days of drunken antics either. Well.... the dumb ones. One of these days though, I'd like to miss smoking. When the time is right I guess.

Mike

I HAD to not drink for 15 days as I was on warfarin self injection shots, I felt like a beer 30 daze later and thought why not stop period, just in time also for the DWI laws which are super strict and no real comeback, the smoking wuz a blood pressure issue, good choices? Who knows, happy with them? I guess so, Be a hypocrite and wag my finger? Never.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 5088 said:

I think it was $100 for 1/4 of Spotted Cow (Wisco only) $40 keg deposit.  Summer shandy 1/6 were like $80-90?  $30 deposit.  They have definitely gone up.  

1/2 of Summer Shandy was like $150 last time I bought one.  I usually get one for 4th of July.

Blue Moon 1/6 was $80-90.

Quick edit:  bottles have been up the last year too.

Mmmmm summer shandy, that's a good, refreshing beer.  Not a high abv either, so a guy can have a couple and not overdo it.  I bought a 15.5 gallon keg of it last year, about $140 if I recall correctly.  Too bad someone drained it all after I had it in the kegerator only a couple weeks, I may have had/shared two to three gallons, was gone for a weekend, came home to an empty keg.  Man was that disappointing.  I am pretty sure it was a nephew of mine and his "friends", but couldn't prove it.  I have a trail cam watching the shop now!

• Haha 1

Boozing is sure an expensive "hobby" anymore.  Used to "tie one on" quite a bit before I was married, but the last year before getting married it really slowed down.  Just wasnt fun anymore, and really started to see chicken coming home to roost for the bigtime boozers.  

Kids all but ended it for me.  Once in awhile the wife and I will buy a 12 pack to enjoy around a fire, and usually it ends up being used for cooking instead.  

Miss the good times, carefree nights of youth and the friends, but that's about it.  

Just wish I could kick my side chew habit, THATS getting real pricey. 

2 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

You must not live in the part of the world were a bunch of morons drink a 30 pack of horse piss a day and their wife screws the neighbor twice a week!

I am sure it goes on here, wasn't something I was ever into or was around.................The old man had laborers, we worked, when we were done we ate and slept..............My biggest goal was to make enough in life to buy machines so I didn't have to work so hard doing work, cans of beer don't accomplish that.  

4 hours ago, MarkG said:

How about a 99 can case of beer? Would be a very novel gift.

FEFD78EC-36AC-43E6-9DA9-55F7E3A41AEF.jpeg

6DC4529B-B900-472E-BAFF-3059E6597100.jpeg

I know a family of guys who would put five people in a car and drive around until that was gone. And it’s a good thing it’s not an even 100, the driver needs to stay a bit more sober than the rest!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Little distrubing that when I seen the two guys with the 99 pabst can's, the only thing I thought of was................Hey!  There is Bill Clinton and Brian Stelter from CNN!:lol:

• Haha 3