Farmall M carb bolts

14 minutes ago, Youngred2000 said:

I for the life of me can not get on the back bolt with a 9/16 wrench to save my life is there any other way to get it out without pulling the whole manifold? Do I need a special wrench? Thanks

I use a bent wrench or a crows foot. Bent is an old thin box end. Just bend it to fit   Nothing special

• Like 1

You need a special wrench, Cheap harbor freight tools are perfect for mangling into what ever you require.

Every mechanic I know has a number of tools custom fabbed for special applications.

Ain't no crime is developing your own tool. 

• Like 2

I have heated old wrenches up and bent them what ever position I needed before  

7 hours ago, Youngred2000 said:

I for the life of me can not get on the back bolt with a 9/16 wrench to save my life is there any other way to get it out without pulling the whole manifold? Do I need a special wrench? Thanks

now you know why mechanic's use snap on wrenches.  they are thin where they need to be. grind yours thin so it fits over the nut . 

16 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

I have heated old wrenches up and bent them what ever position I needed before  

16 hours ago, oleman said:

You need a special wrench, Cheap harbor freight tools are perfect for mangling into what ever you require.

Every mechanic I know has a number of tools custom fabbed for special applications.

Ain't no crime is developing your own tool. 

16 hours ago, Farmall Nut said:

I use a bent wrench or a crows foot. Bent is an old thin box end. Just bend it to fit   Nothing special

I have a drawer full of wrenches ready for modification for the next hurdle along with another one with previously altered wrenches. Auction buy cheapies and old wrenches are what I alter for the most part

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rustred said:

now you know why mechanic's use snap on wrenches.  they are thin where they need to be. grind yours thin so it fits over the nut . 

yeah but a 12 pice set is not worth $52,500 to me sorry.
  This item Snap-On 7 Piece 12-Point SAE Reversible Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set (3/8–3/4"), Part #SOXRR707 Williams MWS-12RC 12-Piece Metric Reversible Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set
Price $52500 $145.82$145.82
Sold By MAGINC Sales Amazon.com
Measurement System inch metric
  • Confused 2

Get yourself a set of angle  wrenches  great for hyd  lines ,carberators, adjusting timing,and any place you can't in to turn a wrench. Harbor freight  has a set 3/8 to 11/4 I got a set of standard and  metric. 

1 hour ago, Youngred2000 said:
  This item Snap-On 7 Piece 12-Point SAE Reversible Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set (3/8–3/4"), Part #SOXRR707 Williams MWS-12RC 12-Piece Metric Reversible Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set

Snapon is expensive, but i am pretty sure that is a misprint. 
i think I have a bent wrench for the purpose, but it has been a while.

4 hours ago, Youngred2000 said:

hummm ,i gave you an example,.. so if you cant figure out how to to unscrew  3/8 NUT from a carburator mounting in the wide open how do you plan on any other repair work where you have to stand on your head, lay on your back , talk chinese, or work by feel !

12 hours ago, rustred said:

hummm ,i gave you an example,.. so if you cant figure out how to to unscrew  3/8 NUT from a carburator mounting in the wide open how do you plan on any other repair work where you have to stand on your head, lay on your back , talk chinese, or work by feel !

You know what I am not going to stupe to your level and argue with you  just a shame that some people would rather put energy towards fighting instead of try to problem solve. Take care

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Youngred2000 said:

You know what I am not going to stupe to your level and argue with you  just a shame that some people would rather put energy towards fighting instead of try to problem solve. Take care

well i gave you  the facts to  solve your problem. seams your making the big deal out of this 9/16 wrench deal.  unless you want me to remove it also.

It may be a silly question, are you using a 6 point? I could see that being an issue, my klein pictured fits in 3 positions but working to the “rear” of the tractor works best, the gear wrench ratchet wrench does not fit. I have some less expensive ones that are even more robust than these .. i didn't carry them out. 

CFD018E0-D8D3-432E-BC50-C924DE2F5F29.jpeg

8CDF9FB3-F046-44AF-A2F5-A91EA8276F4C.jpeg

C38AC7B9-BB81-4C8E-92E5-67C47F70A3C2.jpeg

CE4F3DE5-514D-499F-805E-482D264F4953.jpeg

Angle head wrench is what I use in that situation.  Also have a drawer full of "specialty" wrenches I've adapted over the years

There's a 9/16" wrench I heated & bent for this very reason that is laying in the toolbox out at the farm.  Needed it for carburetor removal & install on Dad's 450.

Where there's a will there's a way I cut, grind or  bend cheap wrenches  anyway possible to make work and good mechanic can figure it out

On 4/24/2021 at 9:59 PM, rustred said:

thin isn't the problem it's turning it. I cut a cheap 9/16 in half , it works great.

Job I was doing today made me think of this. Changing hydraulic hoses to remote on an AC 185. Not enough room to get the wrench in there and do anything. A little time at the snag grinder and viola!

IMG_0945.JPG

• Like 1

Lotta meat left on that 7/8s.  

I’ve  got larger wrench’s ground so thin I thought for sure they would snap off before the hose/fitting/fastener at hand would come loose. They look like something more fitted for use around a bbq grill.  

“Just gotta be smarter than the metal” is what a local mechanic once told me. 

9 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Lotta meat left on that 7/8s.  

I’ve  got larger wrench’s ground so thin I thought for sure they would snap off before the hose/fitting/fastener at hand would come loose. They look like something more fitted for use around a bbq grill.  

“Just gotta be smarter than the metal” is what a local mechanic once told me. 

If I had been in less of a hurry I would have ground on it quite a bit more! Thinner would have been good too.

Hose blew right out of the fitting. Decided to change both while there. Getting them off wasn't so bad, but wondered about that decision going back together!

Been there done that. Especially when a new hose, direct from dealer, shows up with a fitting that is design just a scooonch different, giving even less room to work.  Then I look at it and think huh,,,,coulda had a hyd hose made out of rubber if I wanted bulky fittings.