Jump to content

Question for trucker's


Recommended Posts

This almost makes me tear up how my Dad took me out and taught me to be respectful of trucks and give them time and don't tailgate, loaded truck always has the right of way, etc. Now nobody cares about anyone else it seems even many of the local drivers will jump around you if their truck is 2 miles faster than yours just to turn in front of you. I sometimes think part of the problem is the newer trucks are too easy to drive and you can just put anyone in them for a while. I'm always surprised when working a job how many drivers have no clue how to even start spreading gravel, it's not exactly rocket science. And who the he!! can drive a truck in flip flops. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer the point about the truck hitting the snowplow, that was in wisconsin on wed. the plow truck driver was back to wprk the next day,the truck didn't have any broken glass the truck box is bent up. the trucck had frame work for wings on both sides gave it pivot point to roll was loaded with salt. I don't know about the semi seems like the same mentality as the fedex truck in dallas during the winter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a cousin who was a mechanic, later shop foreman at Werner's in Chalco (NO, Chalco is NOT Omaha) and quit when they wanted to transfer him to Dallas), and OH, the stories he could tell, and yet, you never see Werner put in the same class as SWIFT.

His older brother, who had driven OTR ever since coming out of the Army in the late 60's, still has his tractor and livestock trailer, wanted NOTHING to do with what has come to represent the American truck 'driver'.

I am also old enough to remember how they promoted themselves as "the last American cowboys", which is maybe why American 'hillbilly' (country) music was the 'music' most associated with them at that time.

Years ago, I wrote a letter to the editor of the McAllen Monitor and said that if you stood a ****'s Angel, and a typical OTR 'driver' side by side, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (And I've worked with, and known members of 'outlaw biker gangs', including one of my ex-BILs, and to a man they were ALL decent persons)  (And much MORE honorable than ANY EX-cop I have had the misfortune to be around)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 8:02 PM, mike newman said:

I did notice a proliferation   of "rag head "   humans at the wheel...

I think a lot of this had to do with work requirements needed to stay in US.

A lot of them were able to buy/lease a truck and then they were then self employed with the whole family living in the Freightliner Condo with them.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Youngest son said that the majority of the new Mack's are all coming with some sort of automatic transmission in them (it sounds like some sort of power shift) because nobody can shift anymore. They have one fleet owner that usually has one truck in the shop getting clutch or transmission repair. They just keep rotating. Fix one and bring in another. 

He said that some drivers they won't even let drive around the lot for fear of them hitting something. They will make them part the truck and the mechanics will move them where they need them. And never ask them to back up!! 

The stories he can tell are laughable but true.

I talked with a Werner driver a few years ago and she was telling me that Werner has a whole team of drivers whose job is to just pick up and return abandoned trucks. She said these people will just park the truck where they are and just walk away and never return. And yes, sometimes even leave the truck running.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dads706 said:

I talked with a Werner driver a few years ago and she was telling me that Werner has a whole team of drivers whose job is to just pick up and return abandoned trucks.

When l drove for CFI, they had the same thing....."truck recovery teams" they called them. Heard stories about them finding almost new KW's T-2000's where the so called driver had crapped and urinated in the floor and having to spend hundreds of dollars to get them just clean enough to drive back to Joplin, Mo.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twostepn2001 said:

When l drove for CFI, they had the same thing....."truck recovery teams" they called them. Heard stories about them finding almost new KW's T-2000's where the so called driver had crapped and urinated in the floor and having to spend hundreds of dollars to get them just clean enough to drive back to Joplin, Mo.

A few years ago there was a truck roll over on I-89. The story goes the driver crapped his pants and was standing up changing them... 1-2 miles PAST the rest area he just drove by 😱🤬

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the cb thing.

I got rolled up on by a flatbed hauler coming up out of the Dismal tonight.

Thought he was in a hurry so told him there was a good flat over the next hill he could pass me on.

Naw he wasn't in that big of a hurry, probably sleep over in Valentine.

Anyway we got to talkin on the cb. He was from the panhandle of Oklahoma and headed for Williston. Driving a company truck saving to buy his own, goal to be an O/O.

Real nice guy and we had a good visit. Made the Miles go by.

Both run Stryker radios. Mine is a 497 10 meter. 100 watts of clean power. Dead keys at 40 and peaks at 110. (Won't mean nothing to nobody but those who run big radios).

Talked for about 100 miles. He thanked me for help keeping him awake the last hour and half or so. 

Killed time for me so there are times they are nice have in the truck.

I have met some real good honest hard working people that way.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

On the cb thing.

I got rolled up on by a flatbed hauler coming up out of the Dismal tonight.

Thought he was in a hurry so told him there was a good flat over the next hill he could pass me on.

Naw he wasn't in that big of a hurry, probably sleep over in Valentine.

Anyway we got to talkin on the cb. He was from the panhandle of Oklahoma and headed for Williston. Driving a company truck saving to buy his own, goal to be an O/O.

Real nice guy and we had a good visit. Made the Miles go by.

Both run Stryker radios. Mine is a 497 10 meter. 100 watts of clean power. Dead keys at 40 and peaks at 110. (Won't mean nothing to nobody but those who run big radios).

Talked for about 100 miles. He thanked me for help keeping him awake the last hour and half or so. 

Killed time for me so there are times they are nice have in the truck.

I have met some real good honest hard working people that way.

I run a General Lee 10 meter 90 watts power. I’ve skipped talked with guys in Almyra New York from Northern Indiana  and Northern Illinois to Georgia a few times. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

On the cb thing.

I got rolled up on by a flatbed hauler coming up out of the Dismal tonight.

Thought he was in a hurry so told him there was a good flat over the next hill he could pass me on.

Naw he wasn't in that big of a hurry, probably sleep over in Valentine.

Anyway we got to talkin on the cb. He was from the panhandle of Oklahoma and headed for Williston. Driving a company truck saving to buy his own, goal to be an O/O.

Real nice guy and we had a good visit. Made the Miles go by.

Both run Stryker radios. Mine is a 497 10 meter. 100 watts of clean power. Dead keys at 40 and peaks at 110. (Won't mean nothing to nobody but those who run big radios).

Talked for about 100 miles. He thanked me for help keeping him awake the last hour and half or so. 

Killed time for me so there are times they are nice have in the truck.

I have met some real good honest hard working people that way.

I need to find someone who can set up a cb. Mine is good for a hundred feet is all!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jass1660 said:

I run a General Lee 10 meter 90 watts power. I’ve skipped talked with guys in Almyra New York from Northern Indiana  and Northern Illinois to Georgia a few times. 

Them old General Lee's are real good radios. I looked at them and Connex before I ran into this one.

9 hours ago, brewcrew said:

I need to find someone who can set up a cb. Mine is good for a hundred feet is all!

Mine was tuned by a guy in Kansas City, the guy I talked to last night talked about a flyin' j in oklahoma city, fuels haulers talk about a place in Denver, bull racks here have a place in New Mexico.

The good ones are worth keeping track of. The bad ones can blow up a radio.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a dumb question but what is skip talking?

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Maybe a dumb question but what is skip talking?

I googled "Skip talking CB" and came up with this
 

Quote

Normally CB radio transmissions are "line of site," or considered to be short range.  However, there are times when the earth's atmosphere acts as a mirror and will bounce signals to distant locations.  Remember your CB signal also goes up as well as out and away from your antenna.  When the conditions are just right, it is possible to bounce the radio signal (or skip) it off the atmosphere and it will land hundreds to thousands of miles away.  Therefore it is not impossible for someone using a CB in New Jersey to communicate with another person in California.  The FCC made talking via skip conditions legal with its rewrite of FCC Part 95 that went into effect on Sept. 28, 2017. Yes, skip talking is legal now.

https://www.nat-com.org/cbfaq.htm

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Maybe a dumb question but what is skip talking?

 

88937CFA-2AF1-4460-8A85-3A9191B43AB3.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrodyNC said:

 

88937CFA-2AF1-4460-8A85-3A9191B43AB3.jpeg

I see you found the same site I did. :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

I see you found the same site I did

Yep, appears you just barely beat me to posting it 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get a lot of skip on my radio at night and usually have to turn up the squelch to shut them out but never tried talking back. 

Some of it is guys running huge (illegal) power with directional antennae's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, brewcrew said:

I need to find someone who can set up a cb. Mine is good for a hundred feet is all!

I don’t know if it’s always applicable but when I bought a portable at a truck stop in Pennsylvania I was told there is a radio guy in the back office, wham bam an hour later it was setup for our needs, I asked about work and he said most big stops have radio technicians doing their thing, now this was ‘08 but from reading Jeff it’s still a fact now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a in person meeting at the other end of the county. So was out on the freeway with my son driving. So I thought of this topic and was surprise 60 to 75 % of the trucks had antennas. Not having one in the car no idea if they had them on. None that where fleet trucks it seemed. The local dirt haulers and lowbeds all had them.

 

Back in the 3 months in a combine years they where good interment. And very helpful as 80 % of grain was hauled out the field by truckers the warehouse arranged. Several truckers followed us for weeks other once. Very easy to talk them into field roads and such (the 80's before cell phones ).

This hilly country getting up high on a mountain was not that uncommon to pickup talking 20 to 30 miles from the guys with a  radio.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ray54 said:

Had a in person meeting at the other end of the county. So was out on the freeway with my son driving. So I thought of this topic and was surprise 60 to 75 % of the trucks had antennas. Not having one in the car no idea if they had them on. None that where fleet trucks it seemed. The local dirt haulers and lowbeds all had them.

The local guys are probably running on a different channel then 19. I had about a 2 hour visit with a propane truck and a gas/crude tanker coming out of Idaho most of the way to Green River Wyoming. First time in a while that I conversed that long with someone I wasn’t running with intentionally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

The local guys are probably running on a different channel then 19. I had about a 2 hour visit with a propane truck and a gas/crude tanker coming out of Idaho most of the way to Green River Wyoming. First time in a while that I conversed that long with someone I wasn’t running with intentionally. 

I remember back in the 70s 80s every truck, camper, long haul and 4 wheeler and some bikes had a CB and it seemed every town had a base pilot who could/would steer you anywhere you needed to be local, I know everyone says internet and phones and gps are the greatest and I'm not deriding that but the personal way with the CB was a lot of fun.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dasnake said:

I remember back in the 70s 80s every truck, camper, long haul and 4 wheeler and some bikes had a CB

l had forgot, but when l bought a new Honda Goldwing Aspencade in 1984, it came with a factory installed CB and intercom. Also had a AM/FM cassette player too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2021 at 4:53 AM, jass1660 said:

I run a General Lee 10 meter 90 watts power. I’ve skipped talked with guys in Almyra New York from Northern Indiana  and Northern Illinois to Georgia a few times. 

And the cheap bargain bin on sale Radio Shack CB I ran, if I couldn't read the license plate numbers on the truck ahead of me I couldn't talk to him.   That radio got fried by a lightning strike on I-80 about 3 miles east of the Big X, I-80/I-74 interchange.  Lightning hit my 48" fiberglass anntenna,  my drivers door window was open, arm resting on the window frame, then. BANG!.  I ran into a pretty good thundershower at Geneseo, Exit 19,  drove out of it about 4-5 miles later, rolled window down, AC didn't work in my truck.   Dad had the same cheap Radio Shack CB, and hated it. He gave his to me and bought a nice new Cobra.  I had my CB mounted in a home-made wooden box,  had a double lighter outlet to plug my ESCORT into, had the AM/FM/ cassette deck radio mounted in it too,  there were 12V power points on the right side of the dash that AWAYS worked, I ran everything off them.  Even had a clear lense marker light for doing paperwork at 2 AM,  held my stapler, my Illinois Tollway card,   bulldog clip for paperwork.  Box held down with two tarp straps.  AM/FM antenna mounted to right side upper mirror mount.

    I did have a real nice chat one night on I-88 from around Rockford west for 20 miles. Folks were having problems with Grandpa still driving his wreck of an old car, no insurance, no license. Dad grew up next door neighbors to the county Sherriff and He actually scoulded Dad for wanting to have him pull over Grandpa and by fake arrested.  Dad finally had to sabotage all his old junk cars & trucks. The State trooper had the same thing with his wife's Dad, but no key for the car, old guy just steered while sitting still.

   Yep, cell phones, GPS, etc sure would have made driving a truck easier!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...